It is interesting to review the past year, and Medea/Common Dream's review of the positives of the past year, for what is stated and for skeptical views (emphasis on plural) of them.
1) Iran Nuclear Deal. Could be the sort of deal that Medea and Common Dreams adores. Iran didn't agree to anything, and hasn't even signed it. It amounts to a 'fig leaf' for Obama retreating from past American hostility towards Iran. (Iran is still hostile towards the US.)
2) Renewed diplomatic relations US:Cuba. Amazing what sort of repression passes unreported when the repressor is strong left-wing anti-American and anti-'gusano'. I have heard reports that repression against the 'Women in White' has gotten worse since Obama restored relations with Cuba.
3) Keystone pipeline ain't happening (for now). Noted, and a bit irrelevant since fracking has been so successful in putting oil on the market. Recall that Common Dreams hates fracking too.
4) BlackLivesMatter. Symbols have changed. The rest is to be seen. In the meantime, BLM protesters shutting down shopping malls on Black Friday and Dec. 23rd have been Grinch-like, and perhaps also in the way that upset the Grinch. Maybe folks have learned that Christmas is about something other than presents and stuff.
5 & 6) Refugees and the Jeremy Corbyn new head of the UK Labour Party. Leave to be discussed later, but see #7.
7) Same Sex Marriage. Now Supreme Court imposed on the large number of bigots who had voted for DOMarriage in many states. Also imposed on the large number of bigoted refugees entering this country, who come from countries, and with the culture of those countries, where any one can kill a gay person.
8) BDS wins. Worth reviewing what you are wishing for, and the likelihood that you will get it. It sure sounds like the Palestinians increasingly believe in 'Death to Jews!' (Noting that Palestinians have always favored figurative 'Death to Israel & Israelis'. Now they increasingly favor it literally.)
9) Marijuana legalization. Leave to be discussed later. As a Libertarian I favor drug legalization. I also note that American ideas of 'justice' have a bad draconian tilt. As evidenced by mass and long incarceration, and public sentiment towards Ethan Couch expressed a week ago when he went missing.
10) Bernie Sanders campaign. We definitely have a short coming in presidential campaigns, and in MSM coverage. Let me suggest an idea. Bernie advocates breaking up the TBTF banks. How about we consider, advocate for breaking up Empire USA into smaller and safer pieces?