Home | About | Donate

11,004 Gun Murders in US vs. 26 (equiv. 130) in England Annually

11,004 Gun Murders in US vs. 26 (equiv. 130) in England Annually

Juan Cole

A lot of smoke is being generated to cover up the fact that the horrific Florida school shooting that has left at least 17 dead results from a virtual absence of meaningful gun controls in the US, such that a few gun manufacturers are allowed to make powerful military-style weapons available to the homocidally insane and to gangbangers etc. The Las Vegas shooter, whom the US press has buried long ago, was not an immigrant.

Well, we can ALL fucking pray again. Look how much “prayer” has helped in all the other shootings. I’m just sick and tired of this country. This is just another thing the US is number one at.

I’m pretty sure Honduras is actually number 1 in firearm-related murders.

Yes, our gun culture is yet another problem stemming from big money corrupting politics … You don’t hear about mass shootings in Australia, Japan or for the most part the United Kingdom, or other civilized countries whose politicians have not been bought by 10 major gun manufacturers. | The United States continues to be peculiar in handing out powerful magazine-fed firearms to almost anyone who wants one and not requiring background checks on private purchases even if these are made at gun shows or by persons with a history of mental illness. 80% of civilian-owned firearms world-wide are in the US, and only Yemen vaguely competes with us for rates of firearm ownership; Yemen is a violent mess with Shiite insurgencies, al-Qaeda taking over cities from time to time, tribal feuding, southern separatism and US drone strikes. And even it has fewer guns per person than the USA.

I don’t know if that is true or not, but what a fucking comparison. You do know I was being facetious, don’t you?

Sorry, I didn’t know you were being facetious. For me, it’s hard to tell sometimes.

Why isn’t the gun violence directed straight at those most responsible for it’s continuing carnage?

At the rate of 11,004 per year, if Congress was the prime target, it wouldn’t take a single month to solve this problem.

An excellent and factual column! Thanks to Juan Cole!

And there is this: in journalism, when a writer puts a piece “in the can” to be used as necessary, it is often called an “evergreen” piece.

As Cole points out, this has become one of his evergreen pieces. Think of the horror of that and then DO SOMETHING!!!

Yeh, but our Olympians are really great snowboarders. I wonder if they’re packing. The Olympics is full of all those “others” and even in the Winter O’s some of them are not “white.” Clearly the world (outside the U.S.) is a strange, dangerous and terrifying place.

Arm up kiddies, cuz that’s what “security” is. Three ARs and two Glocks in every pot!!! Pray on. WE’RE NUMBAH ONE! (Oops, we’re 5th in the Olys - and 5 of 8 medals are for snowboarding).

Never Mind. All Good. Glass Half Full. Taking Baby Steps. WTF. Whatever.

Insanity.

Just look at that bar graph. Which countries seem to be civilized? Which one, by that metric, is therefore UN-civilized! I guess we are “exceptional” after all. That is to say exceptionally stupid.

I’m pretty sure you are pretty wrong.

You’re wrong. And even if you weren’t, what the fuck is your point, other than to attempt to minimize the absolutely disproportionate, horrific epidemic gun violence problem in the U.S.? Try some other tactic, that’s an old and tired one, like all others from you gun nuts who will say and do anything to keep holding on to your penis-enlargers.

disgusting, isn’t it…

My mistake. I meant to say Honduras is number 1 in gun murders per capita. Not overall.

I’ve never owned a gun in my life and I never will. Furthermore, I’d like to see stricter gun control laws in America. You are getting yourself riled up for no reason. Are facts somehow irrelevant or subversive if they don’t fit your narrative? I was simply sharing information, not making some kind of pro-gun point.