Home | About | Donate

12 Ways to Make Sense of the Border Mess

12 Ways to Make Sense of the Border Mess

William deBuys

Borders are cruel. I know this because I’ve been studying the U.S.-Mexico border for more than 40 years. It features prominently in two of my books, written in different decades. It keeps pulling me back. Every time I cross that border, I say to myself that this is no big deal -- I’m used to it.

0 Likes

I highly recommend deBuys’ A Great Aridness: Climate Change and the Future of the American Southwest (spoiler alert: it may not be such a great idea to pick up and move there) – and I swear to God I’m not Bill’s Mom. In this book, he not only charms your socks off with his beautiful language, he shines light exactly where it needs to be shown: on how the condition of the Southwest stands in relation to how it got this way.

1 Like

More thoughtful articles from this guy, please.

1 Like

Dear Donald Trump: we don’t need a wall. America has invaded and attacked and stolen from so many nations south of the border. The writer is correct—people will keep coming across the border if they have no water, no food, and no future where they are. Since America and its stupid Monroe doctrine act as if all land is America’s and no other nation can control those natural resources----sigh—it’s hard to accept but the “Land of the brave and the free, “in reality is the ,” Land that actually freely fleeces.”

So Donald, here’s the plan–you need money to help the people and the nations that are having a hard time, because a wall won’t solve anything. These nations , after so much American interference, need actual help.
Now , for 70 years America has given money to Israel—but now Israel exports its own goods and has its own industries, including spies for rent too, and military machines ----so WHY are we sending that nation any money?

The nations that need our help, need our help because we have interfered with them for years. So— you don’t want immigrants? Dump the wall. Need that wall money? Take the huge amount money from Israel and spread that money help around: Puerto Rico needs it too, and Haiti still does.
So, you see, Donald, you don’t need a wall: just move the money around, and show some humanity and gain some magnanimity at the same time, : )

0 Likes