Home | About | Donate

17 Dead in Florida School Shooting: 'We Should Never Accept These Horrific Acts of Violence as Routine'

17 Dead in Florida School Shooting: 'We Should Never Accept These Horrific Acts of Violence as Routine'

Jon Queally, staff writer

At least seventeen people were killed, and more than fifteen left wounded, after the latest U.S. mass shooting took place at high school in south Florida on Wednesday.

Another despicable “acting out” that displays the sickness of this country. The despair; the anger; the sadness; the loss of hope; the cheapening of life. And will it happen again? You can count on it unless things change in a BIG way.

The whole country could use a psychiatrist! We are a sick and tired collection of depressives! Look around and see all the reasons for that depression: A government that drives “We the People” into the ground while propping up their wealthy owners; wondering where your next rent check is coming from; how to fill your gas tank to get to your minimum wage job; how to afford the treatment your child needs with no insurance; wondering if you will ever be able to have fresh fruits and vegetables instead of canned crap. On and on…

Folks, I despise guns and wish I could snap my fingers and make them all go away BUT would this have happened in a country where there is equity FOR ALL? Where there is a balance of power? Where people don’t feel the pressure to merely SURVIVE?!

O.K. I could spend a lot of time on this but I’m just getting pissed, depressed, and ready to START “THE REVOLUTION” NOW!!!

Our Society is a deeply troubled one. And most of the blame lies in the lap of those who have intentionally placed the US citizenry in a pressure cooker, turning up the heat after every episode of screwing them over.

Of course, of course, of course I’m not justifying this individual heinous act, but not even this wretched soul is an island.

Well said, Chicken. Probably better than my attempt to make sense of the senseless.

I cluck to differ :slight_smile:

As to…?

As to mine being better than yours. It’s okay, I understand the assumption that this chicken might be in the mood to peck!

Peck on, Brother Chicken! Peck on…!

What else do you expect from a nation born and bred in violence and to this day glorifies it. All these school shootings have taken place long since I attended school (born in 1955). I am so grateful that I was able to attend school back in the day when these incidents were simply unimaginable. I think some of the blame has to lie with television and all the violent programs with all the shooting of guns that incessantly program people’s minds that such actions are normal ways of dealing with one’s anger and so forth. And then there is the whole culture of capitalism that ever increasingly throws more and more folks under the bus with all the ever increasing anger and rage that entails. The bottom line is that these incidents are only going to increase. And more to the point the citizens have accepted this as normal now. The USA has lost its soul and any sense of community for each other. All you need to read are the comments on other sites which keep repeating the mantra that guns don’t kill people… I am so sick and tired of people who advocate for guns. Guns are only designed for one thing: TO KILL. Of course guns kill people, that is what they are built for. What sane person would want to own such a device that is only meant for killing others. And don’t give me this crap about target shooting. Take up throwing darts, or get a slingshot for that. The USA is addicted to violence and the love of guns is nothing short of a severe mental illness.

Read this a while back. Might explain some of our problems.
capitalism makes us crazy: Dr. Gabor Mate on illness and addiction

Let me know if it doesn’t work, my first time with a link like this.

What if 24 hour MSM coverage of these acts were to include video footage of the children’s/victims bullet-ridden bodies in pools of blood, on every teevee channel every day for a week. Front page color photos in every newspaper and news magazine. Would that help sway public opinion?

Excellent post!

And there’s this: according to Iraq Body Count, at least 474 civilians were killed in Iraq in January. Nobody knows how many others are killed in other U.S. dirty wars around the globe, though their families and compatriots try.

AS your post points out horrific violence has been the norm for the U.S. since its inception.

And yet another shooting spree at a high school. Another day of horror. Another day that will be forgotten tomorrow as our society loves their guns more than sanity itself. Another day for the government to look the other way. Another day for the NRA to say it’s our right to own guns which means more than life itself. Another day to face the fact that we are a nation of born killers but refuse to do so.

I posted this on my front page, in red…

I am your age, born in 51…thank you for saying what I don’t know how to say…

Reading the comments on twitter makes me sad. More people interested in debating the race of the shooter (white or Hispanic).

We need real gun control in this country. We also need more than 1 counselor for every 500-1000 students. We need counselors whose job is to deal with youth struggling whether academically, socially, financially. NY State is going to incorporate mental health into its K-12 curriculum. A very necessary life skill.

Dear gun-toting lunatic: Please reread the bill of Rights and review American history; your angry, self-serving interpretations and distortions are way off base! And, by the way, if high blood pressure is also a problem, I recommend lots of fruits, veggies, and perhaps some slow yoga.

See here: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/06/22/key-takeaways-on-americans-views-of-guns-and-gun-ownership/ that the majority are for gun control.

The problem is the primitive and ramshackle attempt at ‘democracy’ that the people of the U.S. are presented with:

'First-past-the-post voting systems in single-member electorates that discourage candidates outside of what Gore Vidal described as the ‘choice between the two Right wings of the one party’. (Also not infrequently no choice at all with incumbents standing unopposed.)

The lack of statuary, independent and non-partisan electoral authorities which facilitates partisan ‘gerrymandering’ and voter suppression.

The near 100% fraud in the Internet Age of needing huge ‘campaign donations’ to ‘get the message out’.

Attend to the above and a political culture may develop that more represents the will of a majority of the people.

I and many other parents, do not want our children in a classroom in which the teacher has a gun. You and many other gun lovers always use the argument that more guns will help reduce violence and deaths when there is no evidence of it.
Many of us average citizens are more concerned about recent assaults on our fourth amendment and first amendment rights. For all practical purposes, the Bill of Rights is dead, so why should the second amendment be exempt.

Well, the race is important. White skin = demented poor soul. Dark skin = evil terrorist murderer./snark