Home | About | Donate

200+ Groups Call on Senate to Reject Bill That Would Lock US Into Fossil Fuel Dependence 'Under Guise of National Security'

200+ Groups Call on Senate to Reject Bill That Would Lock US Into Fossil Fuel Dependence 'Under Guise of National Security'

Julia Conley, staff writer

More than 200 national climate action groups on Thursday demanded that the Senate stop the passage of a bill that would serve to keep both Europe and the U.S.

1 Like

Billions of dollars more for the fossil fuels industry, and the Democratic House has already passed it.

Why don’t they just shoot us all now?

5 Likes

How come the House gets a pass on this, and why haven’t I heard anything about it until now? This should have been stopped in the Democratic House before they passed it and sent it on to the Republican Senate. The Democrats are worse than useless, they are complicit, and they shouldn’t be allowed to get away with doing stuff like this.

5 Likes

I hope there are organizations tracking the House and Senate supporters of this idiocy so that we can let them know how personally offensive this legislation is.

3 Likes

This is a Senate bill not a House bill, if it passes the Senate they will then try to pass a similar bill through the House then the two bills would have to go through reconcilliation before it could be passed by both houses of congress and sent to the President’s desk for his signature. Bills can start in either house of Congress, they don’t have to start in the House.

4 Likes

This is an interesting angle.

3 Likes

Something really screwy here:

“Passed by the House in March, the European Energy Security and Diversification Act of 2019 (S. 704) would provide billions of dollars in support for. . . .”

“The legislation is now under consideration in the Senate, with Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) sponsoring the bill along with five bipartisan co-sponsors.”

?!?!?!?

2 Likes

"Why don’t they just shoot us all now?"

You kidding, PB? What would they do for income and slave labor?!

Why? So they will change their ways? Yuks all around!
No offense Trakar, but do you think that ANY input from the lowlifes that they consider us has any import?

It’s the offspring of those fucking old white men running America’s dangerously rich corporations who’s only goal in life is greater stock prices. They think fucking up the environment creates opportunities to turn every disaster into money.

1 Like

May the BIG CRASH come soon and–no denying–IT WILL COME!
The criminals have had a death grip on gold prices because they know that when the time doe come, they can scarf up gold like candy at LOW prices that THEY HELD THERE!!!

1 Like

Palast

Fascinating. I have always liked Palast and learned much from his excellent reporting. - I had an exchange with him about Osama bin Laden recruited by the CIA to destabilize the Afghan government to enable corporate extraction access and pipeline routes. Stands to reason that the CIA is doing the same thing in Venezuela.

1 Like

Just more proof of the Duopoly. The Dem ‘leadership’ is taking bribes from the same companies as the Reich. they are part of the problem and they will not allow it to change.

1 Like

Classic CIA muscle for US corporations abroad, the reason for their existence.
What doesn’t make sense is why the Koch corp. built oil refineries that could only refine “heavy crude”, when we don’t produce heavy crude in this country.

1 Like

No. They are going to nuke us all over iran!!!

What will the aliens think when they finally get to earth and find 7 billion moai?

1 Like

The Arctic meltdown is slow but it’s taking place now. You can look at today’s map of Arctic ice extent and see all sorts of blue water holes in the ice pack, even toward the North Pole, in May, where May, June and July are top sunshine absorbing/reflecting months at the North Pole. The ice pack is supposed to last through September.

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

The Arctic meltdown alone can drive greenhouse gas levels up to perhaps 1200 ppm.

2 Likes

The House bill calls specifically for renewable development under §4(b):

(iii) renewable energy projects in wind, solar, tidal, or other forms;

You can read it here:

Well, I do not know how you missed this part of the article, since it is only the second paragraph:

" Passed by the House in March, the European Energy Security and Diversification Act of 2019 (S. 704) would provide billions of dollars in support for natural gas infrastructure projects, propping up fossil fuel industries and leading to fracking projects in the U.S.—undercutting the goals of climate campaigners who are demanding that all industrialized countries move toward renewable energy systems."

Good luck course-correcting.

2 Likes

The article appears not to be the full story, which I allude to in my comment above. In the House bill, any assistance the US provides must be for projects already identified by the European Commission. These projects include renewable energy developments, they are called out specifically in the criteria detailing projects the Department of Energy is allowed to provide technical assistance on. The bill also doesn’t call for spending a ton of money either. If it’s as I read it, I think the article is overwrought.