Home | About | Donate

25 Ways the Canadian Health Care System Is Better Than Obamacare

25 Ways the Canadian Health Care System Is Better Than Obamacare

Ralph Nader

Dear America:

Costly complexity is baked into Obamacare. No health insurance system is without problems but Canadian-style single-payer— full Medicare for all— is simple, affordable, comprehensive and universal.

In the early 1960s, President Lyndon Johnson enrolled 20 million elderly Americans into Medicare in six months. There were no websites. They did it with index cards!

Below please find 25 ways the Canadian health care system is better than the chaotic U.S. system.

Ralph does it again! Compare HR676 (Before it is rewritten) to S. 1804, using Ralph’s 25 points.

Why are Canadians so much nicer than Americans?

Read that last one and thanks for that. I was having difficulty determining why it suggesed the Sanders Plan inferior ro Hr676.

One of the things that stood out was that thing on long term care. A friend of mine in the US has an Aunt handled under long term care and it just a cruel and rotten setup.

She was a widow with her husband dying in an accident shortly after marriage. She worked all of her life at low paying jobs to set aside some money for retirement. Before she could qualify for long term care under medicaid when she took ill , the Government emptied all her bank accounts and took virtually all her assets. She could not qualify other wise. Needlessly cruel in my opinion.

If you look at the history of the First Nations in what is now Canada, you may want to rephrase the question.

From the article:

"In the United States, Obamacare’s 2,500 pages plus regulations (the Canadian Medicare Bill was 13 pages) is so complex that then Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said before passage ““we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.””

Interesting turn of phrase, that. I thought controversy usually resulted in clarity—which would explain why Pelosi would want to avoid it.

Early on Canada had Good relations with the First nations peoples. At the height of the British Empire, around 1880 ish if not a little before that all changed. This change was linked directly to the rise of White Supremacists in Great Britain.

These guys believed that the Anglo-saxon race superior to ny other and destined to rule the world. They exported this nonsense to all corners of the Empire, from India to Canada, from the African colonies to Australia and those racists went abroad claiming the only way the First Nations peoples could survive was if their Culture extinguished and they become lessor Anglo-saxons.

Out of all 4 of the major Nations founded by The Empire where the First nations peoples displaced , all the Indigenous peoples are at the bottom of the scale economically. The Maori relative to the rest of the population fare the best.This followed by the First nations peoples in Canada and then the USA. At the very bottom are the Aborigines in Australia.

There no reason for it other then racism.

Yup. That’s standard operating procedure in the U.S. You have to impoverish yourself (if you aren’t rich) to get nursing home care - and even at-home care - through Medicaid. The nursing home industry is nearly totally private, regulated by states with wildly variable outcomes, and in many cases state politicians directly and indirectly own nursing homes and chains.It’s corrupt beyond belief.

My mom was a nurse who worked in nursing homes (among many other nursing jobs). She made my brother and I swear we’d never put her in any of those places). Her last years were rough, but she ended up with good insurance that my dad’s job provided even after he was dead and Medicare did a great job of covering at-home care and other bills. That’s not true any more for most though. It may have something to do with high suicide rates in the U.S.

And she’ll be the Speaker overseeing so-called Medicare For All. The more things change…

Everybody In. Nobody Out.

We are fighting for a national single-payer healthcare system because access to healthcare is basic to human dignity

https://www.healthcare-now.org/

HI natureboy: Why are Canadians “so much nicer.” than Americans? That’s easy ----because they are healthier and don’t have to worry about going broke if they get sick. They also don’t have a Pentagon stealing all the money. : )

HR 676 is better, and S 1804 has plenty of room for-profit healthcare providers and private interests to no only make the system worse, but to continue to profit off of things no civilized society should allow them to profit off of.

One of the changes in decades past with Democrats was the weakening of labor, which also meant less financial support for their campaigns. Democrats, of course, were instrumental in weakening labor, but that is another matter. Well, if insurance companies go away or are drastically reduced in size, parasitic hacks like Neera Tanden will have one less powerful interest to fund their garbage. Then what will they do? Get by on their actual ideas and their actual worth to the general public? Screw that!

I forgot to say that I get Ralph Nader’s email news with his wonderful ideas. Imagine what the world would be like if HE had won as President. I LOVE Ralph Nader------and imagine what America would be like if he had won his election; it would be a real and authentic America—a place where I really want to live!!! : )

My dad worked from 1937 to 2008, paid insurance for at least the last 25 years of that, and managed to buy enough morphine to die quietly–his final request.

The doctors were pretty competent, as nearly as I could tell. The nurses were attentive and competent, and he did not get kicked to the curb, as a lot of the rest of us are apt to.

They get the stuff out of a poppy that grows pretty well in much of California.

Half the population of Canada lives south of where I do in the US and “the stuff out of the poppy grows” like a weed here. Any shortage of poppy products are contrived by profiteers.

Its no surprise that corporations, their media and politicians turned Ralph into a pariah during the 70s. They couldn’t launch their Reagan revolution against the 99% as long as so many people were supporting Ralph.

I’d like to understand how Canadians can have a free choice of doctors - what happens if a doctor or practice or hospital is at capacity/ (same problem with school “choice.”) what are the incentives for strong preventive medicine (my Medicre Advantage plan is always promoting blood pressure checks, flu shots, blood sugar checks to try to head off problems when cheaper to deal with)

Partly because they see the relationship of themselves to each other differently. Because they are less indoctrinated in hyper-competitiveness as we in the Ayn Rand-addled consciousness which prevails in the US. Because they are less warped by religious fundamentalism.

Just a few possible explanations.

By God, I wish I’d been born there. Some would call that “un-American”. You never hear people in other countries called un-Canadian, un-Irish, un-Greek, un-Egyptian, un-Peruvian,
un-Cambodian, etc, etc.etc. That seems to be a distinctly US American pejorative.

I think that we US-Americans have been conditioned since birth to be paranoid, fearful, and suspicious of each other, other races, other languages, other religions, no religion at all, other ideas, and anything that might question our national mythologies. We are easier to control that way.

I am afraid Ralph is way too sane, way too ethical, and way too logical, to ever be a successful politician in this country.

And that is to his everlasting credit.

Uh…maybe to live longer and healthier.

Are right wingers in Canada pleased with their health care system or do they want to privatize it? The US has a lot of right wingers who are against the type of system that Canada has. So far we have been able to get Medicare, Medicaid, the VA system, and Obamacare. And the right wingers in the US don’t seem to like those except maybe for the VA system.