Home | About | Donate

3.4 Million Chickens, 5,500 Hogs Killed in Florence's Flooding

3.4 Million Chickens, 5,500 Hogs Killed in Florence's Flooding

Lorraine Chow

The North Carolina Department of Agriculture said Wednesday that the historic flooding from Florence has killed about 3.4 million chickens and turkeys and 5,500 hogs.

Never has there been such a clear indicator that corporate CAFO agribusiness is not only insanely greedy and destructive - but threatens societal instability by its very design. It drives “externalization” of predatory capitalism into destructive overdrive. Support SANE local small-scale, organic local and regional agriculture. CAFOS bring explicit literal meaning to ‘rot in hell’.
Boycott CAFO corporate food “manufacturers”

NO MORE!!
Remember - this is on a good day:

8 Likes

This is awful beyond words, and just another reason to be a vegan. Sorry animals, you do not deserve such a life.

5 Likes

It’s simple: go vegan.

2 Likes

Do they have chickens in Vietnam, Iraq, Syria, S. America, Africa, Libya, Yemen and Ukraine? The reason I ask is; maybe if our DoD killed their chickens instead of their people, we here in the U.S. could just go human and/or vegan. Same ? on little pigs ( sorry Muslims ) to a certain extent, as well?
Maybe it’s just, go vegan? It’s simple, too, like which came first, the chicken or the weather?
Meanwhile, back at the 200-300 overflowing lagoons…

Well, yes, feedlots and close quarters are terrible ways to raise livestock, flood or no. On the other hand, animals die in flood under various conditions. It might be interesting to know just what we hold to be the responsibility of farmers as regards hurricane or flood–or, by extension, fire or earthquake or tornado or chemical or nuclear leak.

There are more humane ways to raise animals, clearly–rotational grazing or browsing, generally on smaller farms. These can also be ways to incorporate animals in the recuperation of damaged soils and landscapes (as can be seen in permaculture works in general, but those of Joel Salatin, Alan Savory, and Sepp Holzer in particular).

To cut to a central point, these methodologies sequester carbon, restore landscapes, and over time raise more food for humans than the destructive and extractive methods that have become widespread.

Among other things, the recovery of land in a workable and productive ecosystem would involve considerably more protection against flooding than was likely available with the desperately wrought last-minute protections, however energetic these likely were.

Perhaps we have written enough of people elsewhere. Perhaps I just have not seen it. But I find it disturbing that so little account is made of the farmers themselves, their children, their chances of returning to work their land, or the possibilities of economic recovery for the community.

I do not think that it is unreasonable to be concerned for the fate of animals. I do think that it is at least impractical to concern oneself for animals without taking into account the care of the people around them.

Were I to walk among unrestrained lions, I would hope at least that these lions were contented and well fed. If the care of humans gets ignored, we cause problems that lions and tigers could little dream of–for other people, but also for chickens and pigs and cattle.

Rather than imagine that humans in various sorts of social and economic and climatic situations will all renounce our inherited omnivory as a person may well do with access to transported foodstuffs, we might do better by farm animals by supporting local growers and arranging to have less financial pressure on farmers who wish to make decisions according to how they are serving clients, animals, plants, and soil rather than how they are serving property and business loans.

1 Like

Thanks…for some reason I was ready for a chuckle hah hah.

But of course this is horrible beyond belief. On the last page of comments someone asked how far down the country has come to not be enraged about 13,000 children being locked up. It seems we are thoroughly desensitized due to the endless indignities. Thousands of people live in dehumanizing polluted atmospheres of CAFOS, pesticides and other chemicals used in agriculture and then there are those whose homes are invaded by the fumes of petrochemical industrial parks.
Here in the little town I call “home” a few members finally got together and now we have a community garden. But the majority are oblivious to life beyond the transparent walls of the place. It is distressing.

1 Like

Just as the hottest years on record have happened over the past decade , the 10 largest food recalls in US History have happened since around 2002. As CAFOs take over suplying the food , the food supply becomes ever more toxic.

2 Likes

And, the coal ash containment ponds and lakes ( of poison ) just breached and our emptying into the Cape Fear River near Wilmington, N. Carolina. (AP).
Some of this coal ash is decades old. Nothing has ever been done along the lines of remediation in N. Carolina. Every toxic mess sits there… waiting for the 2nd Coming and the return to The Garden of Eden, perhaps?

1 Like

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. " – Mahatma Gandhi
---- “If you have men who will exclude any of God’s creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.” – Francis of Assis
– The United States has been ranked as the second-worst nation in the world for animal cruelty. No surprise we can bomb foreign children. But most “progressives” would rather throw animals under the bus than admit the truth of Gandhi and Francis of Assis, even though law enforcement now recognizes the connection between animal abuse early on and violence against humans.

If humanity could only control itself, and the U.S. control its violent propensities, maybe the world would be a better place.

If children were locked up under the same conditions that millions of “farmed” animals are forced to endure their entire short lives, people do respond, mostly because most people have children.

I believe that people should experience in full measure the indignities that “farmed” animals are forced to endure their entire short lives in order to get the picture just how despicably we treat other animals. The folks you say living in polluted atmospheres of CAFOS, are they buying meat, dairy and egg products? Why are they supporting the existence of CAFOS?

Who said that they are ?