Home | About | Donate

30 Years Later, ‘The Golden Girls’ is Still the Most Progressive Show on Television

30 Years Later, ‘The Golden Girls’ is Still the Most Progressive Show on Television

Tracey Ross

Picture it: Hollywood, 1985. The first episode of The Golden Girls airs, introducing the world to Blanche Devereaux, Rose Nylund, Sophia Petrillo, and Dorothy Zbornak. The show attracted more than 25 million viewers, becoming the highest-rated program of the week and consistently ranked in the top 10 sitcoms during its run. Over the course of seven seasons, the show racked up 68 Emmy nominations, 11 wins, and is one of only 4 shows in TV history whose principal actors all won Emmys for their roles.

There's a reason I used to enjoy tv.

That's the same reason I don't watch the id10t box anymore too.

It used to have the odd good thing to watch.

Quoth the raven 'nevermore'.

I'd go with "All in the Family", as Archie Bunker was a naked witness to the idiocy of life. Pure genius.

Archie Bunker was the voice of all those Rush Limbaugh/Donald Trump/Michael Savage/Newt Gingrich "fans." THAT is not a statement on life... it's a statement on a particular demographic; and the genius of "All in the Family" came from the juxtaposition of a more open-minded, anti-war Progressive son-in-law's debates with Archie. TWO very different worldviews were that way explored through characters that held an audience's interest.

Archie Bunker is the prototypical victim of Rush et al. He had a deep and caring soul that Norman Lear masterfully hid but for a few great moments. His character was to illustrate the importance of thinking for oneself by opposition to that maxim. That he was so trapped in knee-jerk thinking reminds me of Camus' definition of the absurd man.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

There are times when a husband might agree with you.

I had no idea about this show. I never watched it because my assumptions weren't favorable. it just goes to show how wrong assumptions should be. One should always seek to be informed rather than just assume. Problem is many people don't realize they are just making assumptions when they believe they are being informed.