Home | About | Donate

4,645 Deaths in Puerto Rico From Hurricane Maria Were "State-Sponsored Mass Killing"

4,645 Deaths in Puerto Rico From Hurricane Maria Were "State-Sponsored Mass Killing"

Democracy Now!

Democracy Now! on Wednesday looked at Puerto Rico as it continues to recover from Hurricane Maria, which devastated the island last September. Researchers at Harvard recently revealed the death toll from Hurricane Maria may be a staggering 70 times higher than the official count. The official death toll still stands at 64, but the new study estimates a death toll of at least 4,645, with some projections topping 5,700.

Empire typically undercounts its victims—kind of like Holocaust denial with a smiley-face. Panama? What mass graves??

A government and people that routinely provide unlimited financial aid to the wealthy and powerful while giving only crumbs to the poor and powerless is not “for the people” but for the rule of gold those with the gold…This heartless philosophy of Reagan that has enabled the worst of the country will destroy the 99 percent. Already we see race divisions, lower wages, unfocused rage and a declining quality of life for most. Only a return to the FDR tax for individuals and a new tax on the gross income of corporations as well as a VAT can right the ship. Other wise we are doomed to be stuck in the ice. Mass killing has been the business of business for a long time. After WWII the wrong direction was take by Truman and IKE when they bought the evil empire argument. FDR knew the Soviets were the reason Hitler lost. Truman treated them like the enemy as he had many allies among corporate america who love him for this. He made his bones as an anti communist democrat which set the stage for the end of the unions and the destruction of the new deal. Good luck getting it back.

Thank you so much for keeping the message of FDR alive.

I am of the opinion that the correct term is “state sponsored manslaughter”. I may be mistaken but I don’t think so.

This of course expands past natural disasters to healthcare and guns as well.

Being of color and or poor will keep this wheel turning until __________ fill in the blank as you will.

Putting money to good use:

Wars of choice and droning just because we can also represent state sponsored mass murder.

I’m looking at you, Dims.

Dumpf overheard saying " it’s the Puerto Ricans fault for living in hurricane alley."

One can only hope that the next hurricane takes out Maro Lago with Trump sitting on the can, everyone but him survives ,it will be the best hurricane ever seen by anyone, it will have the biggest ratings, and a NFL football team is named after said hurricane and wins the super bowl and everyone attended the white house bash and it was the best party ever in the history of the world with the biggest crowd known to mankind …ok back to my bong and wine…cheers…

Very much like Katrina where there was no effort to respond to the needs of the
people. Puerto Rico is becoming a model of what could soon be happening to all of us.

Side show: Turn disaster into profit for the wealthy.

Americans, by a large, refused to see what Reagan was going to do over the long term. That includes a lot of Democrats and self identified liberals. The gauntlet came down on November 4, 1980. I never doubted we would get to this point, although I could not have conceived of Trump. I remember LOTS of discussions with fellow Democrats and they mostly were in denial about the severity of it. I think most believed in some kind of magic American wand which would put us “back on course.” I always have and still self identify as a New Dealer. And that includes ALL of the framework which would (and to a certain degree has) been enacted. It’s in essence a simple but readable notion-everybody gets a chance, and if the private sector gets in the way they will be forced by law to get the fuck out of the way.

Reagan existed because of the loss of our free press by the end of WWII …

See Operation Mockingbird being drafted in 1943 by Cord Meyer and later run out of the
CIA by Allen Dulles.

Without a free press, it is impossible for the public to know what the truth is.

When you add in secret programs and secret deals there is no way for the public to know truth.

The only way the right wing can rise is by violence – that’s always been true – it’s still true today.

Count the loss of liberal leadership through the Cold War/McCarthy Era which was largely an
attack on liberals and moderates in government. Count the loss of Henry Wallace. The loss of
liberals and moderates again in attacks by the CIA/NRA – attacking the very members of Congress
who would bring the investigations (like the Church Hearings) which would have contained the CIA
and contained government corruption.

Count the loss of liberal leadership through assassinations – many more than we are aware of …
Dag Hammarskjold at the United Nations – our President JFK which also took our “people’s”
government. RFK and Martin Luther King, Jr. And many more than are acknowledged.
Our musicians who would speak and write of PEACE and a gentle and kind world.
Any rise of liberal leadership now is quickly disappeared.

Yet – this is a liberal nation and a liberal world which wants PEACE and stands against wars.

We have only to look at the affirmation given to Bernie Sanders campaign supporting liberal ideals
to see and understand that.