Home | About | Donate

5 Reasons Why Trump Will Win

5 Reasons Why Trump Will Win

Michael Moore

Friends:

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I gave it to you straight last summer when I told you that Donald Trump would be the Republican nominee for president. And now I have even more awful, depressing news for you: Donald J. Trump is going to win in November. This wretched, ignorant, dangerous part-time clown and full time sociopath is going to be our next president. President Trump. Go ahead and say the words, ‘cause you’ll be saying them for the next four years: “PRESIDENT TRUMP.”

I think Michael Moore's mention of the angry white guy effect is real and I'm glad to see a mostly mellow (although angry AT the system) white guy mention it.

Unfortunately, within a paragraph that speaks specifically about this white male demographic, Mr. Moore lapses reflexively back into the more inclusive (and therefore inaccurate) We-frame:

"The Last Stand of the Angry White Man. Our male-dominated, 240-year run of the USA is coming to an end. A woman is about to take over! How did this happen?! On our watch! There were warning signs, but we ignored them. Nixon, the gender traitor, imposing Title IX on us, the rule that said girls in school should get an equal chance at playing sports. Then they let them fly commercial jets. Before we knew it, Beyoncé stormed on the field at this year’s Super Bowl (our game!) with an army of Black Women, fists raised, declaring that our domination was hereby terminated! Oh, the humanity!"

The WE (in before "we" knew it) isn't the WE that consists of all those women tired of playing 2nd fiddle to males in everything from the boardroom to the basketball court to the parlor.

Mr. Moore also has a tendency to narrow the lenses with which he views the world. Perhaps shaping the diversity of lived data around the world to fit a movie film's trajectory does that to the mind.

And so there's no mention of Bernie Sanders.

Party loyalty wears the same blinders that team sports' fans wear.

And Hillary is described as smart and logical... to Trump's Enfant Terrible half-cocked responses to questions.

For a man with Moore's likely intelligence, an analysis that skims the surface and seems like something more amenable to the content of "People Magazine" hardly gets at the depth of things.

One layer of that depth is something C.D. readers know all too well: That Hillary and Bill are part of the demolition team that TORE down the former Democratic Party and in its place, built the dead sarcophagus of Republican Lite: All war, All Business All the Time... policy pandered to the Top Bidders.

As a result, there is NOTHING in the Clintons' record (short of some strategic photo-ops with Blacks and Latinos) that distinguishes them in ways that would HONESTLY resonate with Progressives.

Pushing for unnecessary wars when U.S. foreign wars of aggression have already SLAUGHTERED upwards of 2 million people and relegated millions more to financial ruin, homelessness, and the status of orphans, widows, and widowers?

More of THIS?

And TPP and TIPP?

It's not enough that Cancer rates are as high as they are followed by Diabetes, Obesity, alcoholism, Depression, and lots of Addictive disorders... but STILL Big Pharma gets to play Russian roulette by disseminating its barely tested products on a gullible Guinea Pig population while Monsanto insists WE need not know what our food even consists of?

And THESE kinds of insurgencies against Free Will and Sovereignty are the species of Freedom that all those soldiers are losing limbs and half their minds (PTSD) over?

More of this?

I don't understand how a man of Mr. Moore's notable compassion can so blithely gloss over the REAL record here.

The Wrestling Match based on which Wrestler will show more savvy in the art of destroying the other--Hillary or Trump--is a fraud.

Why is the public limited to this pre-vetted tragi-comedy political show?

THAT is the issue EVERY pundit with a platform should be railing against.

Apparently, Mr. Moore also carries that "virus" that--regardless of the plague set, engineered, or enacted by elites--rushes to blame voters first.

No matter that like rats in a cage, voters get to hit only the green light (for food) or the red light (for nothing).

Sure. Pretend this is still a functional Democracy. Just keep "em entertained... even if that means toss enough crumbs and grenades until they turn on one another.

Mike is suffering from severe cognitive dissonance. Wow.

Trump's anti-globalization is welcome noise to most Americans, not simply the rust belt. Tariffs are what made the US what it is. This ridiculous idea of "free" trade is new. Most Americans did not know that free trade=globalization=America among equals. When Trump talks about America first, he's saying something that puts this free trade nonsense to the lie. "Protectionist" is not a bad word. When America was becoming the foremost industrial power, a "super power", it was protection from foreign competition that made it that way. During the Clinton years the message was reversed and globalization with America just one among the community of nations became the new gospel. It was a lie, of course, and what's more it was the end of the Democratic Party and its advocacy of labor and the poor. America was not putting itself First! Clinton did this in the interest of the global corporate elite. Fuck labor, fuck the poor, fuck the students. This is Hillary's legacy and it is not just angry old white men supporting Trump.

I was a Bernie supporter until he caved in to the corrupt party process and backed Hillary, who is not a likable person, as the Fatman says. She's a war monger and a political weasel. Her famous statement about Gaddafil (we came, we saw, he died ) is the most callous remark imaginable. She thought it was funny: murder and the destruction of Libyan society, which happened to have been one of the most advanced societies in the world, better than the European social democracies Bernie likes so much. This murderous bitch without the least compassion contributed to the destruction of an advanced society and huge suffering and death. She did the same in Iraq. She doesn't give a shit about anyone else...and this means YOU. Need it be mentioned that Trump is not a war monger and wants to sit down with Putin instead of demonizing him?

If Trump gets elected it won't be a fluke as the Fatman says. It will be because he's on the right side of at least two important issues, the most important issues. This "law and order" crap he's talking is a naked attempt to polarize and it indicates this guy is bad news for the country socially speaking. Fears of a more aggressive police state are well founded.

So when I consider where to put my vote, write in Bernie, or vote Jill Stein, and I consider I could help elect Trump by not supporting Hillary, I say to myself: so what? Let the chips fall where they may. with Trump we won't have to worry about nuclear war, at least. That is the over riding concern in my mind. I'd rather have Trumps finger on the nuclear trigger than Hillary's. But I can't vote for him any more than I can vote Hillary. I'm a political refugee. I think all those Americans who call themselves "Independent" are also refugees. The political system doesn't work.

Mike, with all due respect, as an avowed Clinton supporter, I can't imagine any circumstance under which you won't support her. Accordingly, your worldview is as large as the room you rent in your head.

There are millions of former Clinton supporters like myself, who are breaking a decades long trend: we refuse to accept the devil we know for the one heating things up. Clinton and DNC corruption and dishonesty must have consequence.

You're right. Trump will win. In the absence of the unethical #DNC nominating Sanders, I will look forward to Clinton's political ruin. Couldn't happen to a more deserving character. FYI, after 40+ years of supporting the #DNC, and voting true blue Den for that long, I left the party this week. Disgusted.

Have to wonder what effect Kaine will have on turn out. African Americans and Hispanics put Hillary over the top for the nomination. And Hillary responds with a white and connected insider male as VP (who holds many corporatist views). I read one poster suggesting that African Americans and Hispanics will come out for Hillary/Kaine as Kaine got 80% of the African American vote in Virginia a Southern state. But isn't that below average support for a Dem candidate by African American voters? Besides quoting those numbers can be deceptive as you must count absolute number of votes, not percentages.

First I'm NOT your friend.
Second: Stop playing Zarathustra.
Third: thinking seriously stop doing drugs while you writing....

right on.

Brilliant.

I am a long time fan of Michael Moore, but on some of this, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I think perhaps Mr. Moore does not quite understand what some voters, particularly young voters are thinking.

I lived though 8 years of G.W. Bush. I've just about lived through 8 years of Obama. Every time, we are told that if we don't vote one way or another, the world will end, but here we are, the rate of extinctions is continuing to increase, global temperatures continue to skyrocket without any sign of slowing, wars continue to kill thousands upon thousands of people, and inequality continues to get worse. And for the first time in years, the tangible risk of open war between nuclear powers is back on the table.

It is well past time for serious action. In a few more generations, when coastal cities have flooded, when drought and famine are causing even more unrest and violence than today, what answer will we have for the people who look at history and ask, "where were people, back when we still had time to change this?" The answer will probably be: "Voting for the lesser of two evils."

Imagine someone is in a rowboat, and they see that they are approaching a dangerous waterfall. The first passenger to speak up says, "Trust me, we should row toward it, and everything will be fine." The second passenger to speak up says, "No, that's horrible, we should row in circles, and then everything will be fine."

Then imagine that person's surprise, when they speak up and say, "How about the third option, let's row away from it," and the other passengers tell them, "You're not taking this seriously, are you?"

Me too. I can no longer honestly call myself a Democrat. Green/Independent will be my new parties.

Why would anyone vote for a proven war-monger, Michael?

We don't have any choice but vote against TPP and World War.

Apparently one can make film and film and film and not be an analyst. Peace be unto you, Mike. But think.

I would vote Sanders. I will vote Stein.

I suppose with super-delegates and pre-counted votes and all, Clinton need fear no voters. Does that not mean that we have to think of something more scary?

I will miss voting, myself. I will miss getting forced to wait in longer lines than the rich ducks across the tracks rather than being maced, cuffed and smacked, pepper-sprayed, shot at, or having debonair representatives in silk suits show at my door and offer a choice between whores and funeral plans.

I feel old.

Clinton's PR problem is her record. I would rather see Donald Trump's hand on the nuclear button than hers, and I would vote for any of the first twenty people in line at the DMV over Trump. I would sooner vote for a cocker spaniel on the basis of its being called a good boy by its owner, if only I could be convinced that it had a chance of victory.

"This murderous bitch without the least compassion contributed to the destruction of an advanced society and huge suffering and death." Oh, but "she cares about kids"!

Michael- you lost me at" I actually kinda like Hillary and thinks she's been given a bad rap".
Isotope- finally some one else who gets it!

Bye Bye Micheal your 15 minutes of fame are so over.

Much obliged. Thank you.

Trump will win and he's less likely to wage war on Russia, make bad agreements like TPP, export jobs, take Wall Street bribes, do electoral fraud, and deal unfairly with Israel/Palestine. Despite his orange hair and obnoxious remarks, this imperfect candidate beats Hillary on all those issues.
I'm voting Stein knowing full well that I'm helping Trump win.

People so alienated by Hillary Clinton (who Michael Moore is being WAY TOO KIND to---after all,l she's a self-serving Wall Street sponsored AR MONGER)---should NOT Write IN a vote for Bernie Sanders. Write In votes are NOT COUNTED---THEY ARE DISCARDED. Cast a vote for our Future: VOTE GREEN PARTY candidate DR. JILL STEIN. And DON[T Listen to the FOOLS who try to scapegoat you as they continue to do to Ralph Nader--- a national hero for REAL democracy. BOTH Bill & Hillary Clinton have not only destroyed the Democratic Party as a vehicle for the 98%---they've HELPED DESTROY AMERICAN DEMOCRACY with their first 8 years in the White House: helping CORPORATE MERGERS of MEDIA...NAFTA...escalating the War on Drugs/EXPANDED PRISONS--which include EX-PRISONERS LOSING THEIR4 VOTING RIGHTS...DE-Regulation of Big Banks who FORECLOSE4D ON MILLIONS of People. DO NOT REWARD the DNC & CLinton Machine for how they conducted the 2016 primaries.Vote Green. We survived GW Bush---we can survive Trump. But, MORE of the CLINTONS? i don't think so.

I think Moore was saying that socially, progressives have won, but certainly not economically or environmentally.