Home | About | Donate

5 Resistance Resolutions

5 Resistance Resolutions

Bob Burnett

As we enter a perilous new year, here are five resistance resolutions:

1. Practice resistance each day. Political resistance is an American tradition; "eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Take a stand for democracy. Slow down and focus. Resist.

If you've experienced a life-threatening disease, the process will be familiar. Live one day at a time. Focus on the essentials: taking care of yourself and regaining your health. Trump is a democracy-threatening disease. Focus on taking care of yourself and regaining democracy.

Good article, but with all due respect, I do not agree with this: " Now you and I are faced with the possible death of democracy".

In my view, American democracy was assassinated in November, 1963.

If you live in a state where the state government is taking strong action to fight climate change join in by doing whatever you can. Governor Jerry Brown of California has vowed to take on the federal government on this issue. A bonus in fighting climate change is not only resisting Trump but it is helping to get the world off a course to certain global disaster. And if you live in a state with the deniers in charge of the government do whatever you can anyway as we are quickly running out of time as the climate crisis worsens daily as levels of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases continue to accumulate in the atmosphere.

Mostly all well and good, but how is not listening to "the news" for 24 hours an "act of defiance"?

"The Peace of Wild Things" is one of my favorites, along with the "Second Coming", by W.B. Yeats. Try " Cold Mountain Poems", also.

Maybe. Or quite possibly in April and June of 1968.

A 24 hr. break can serve as a personal declaration of independent thought. It's a time to consider your own perspective before integrating someone else's point of view on verified facts. Also, we're animals experiencing a natural world. The world of words is only one narrow facet of our lived experience....and can be overwhelming in how it often robs us of a vibrant human experience.

I don't think a list of self-soothing strategies constitutes "resistance." I'm not criticizing those strategies because, in fact, people need to do such things to maintain their focus and strength. But resist what, exactly, and how? What's the agenda? What I no longer have is ideas about how, under the circumstances, the "masses" can pull together to stand up for much of anything. Years of work went into pitting us against each other by class, middle class vs. the poor, then further dividing us by race.

It's impossible to resolve problems unless you talk about them. We're at a critically important point where a real people's movement is needed. A movement requires a unifying agenda. We don't have one.

I think many people would want something more resembling a representative form of government. Today, the rich have full representation, the middle class have quite a lot, and the poor have no representation whatsoever.

De acuerdo, still, we Must fight on, every day, and in every way, non-violent! The very survival of our Planet depends on our efforts!

The nezz is fascist, imperialist propaganda!

"There is no time for anything inessential." So, why do we still use, buy, do all those things?.... there is plenty that we can give up... in the name of resistance... and truly, make difference in climate change... ALL TOGETHER NOW....!!

You're right, we do not have one... I look at EVERYTHING, under the umbrella of CLIMTE CHANGE..... THAT IS ... THE OVER RIDING ISSUE... without fixing that.... nothing else will matter.... AND WHAT'S ALSO IMPORTANT IS THIS.... say, if you're talking about jobs.... so, if the goal is to be making more jobs... for more people, one must think, mmm I really do have to come up with jobs for people, that are not CO2 PRODUCING.... not just lower co2... *( a single digit percent).... but by a lot or by not having that job at all... if it is a high or even medium co2 producing job.... get rid of them all.... we need to completely switch out our type of economy... What Will it be based on...??????????

People who did not vote for Clinton (I did), should be thinking the other way. That is because, Clinton did not focus for a change in what Obama did not do.

That is the simple truth. Obama was offered a serious Economy solution like China has for 33 years, but He did not take it in 2005 and a few years before too.. If he had, Clinton would have picked it and called it.

Now, it is too late. This country will do well for first three years from Credit and their things will be really messed up. Then, get ready for your turn in 2020 to fix what Obama did his time. But, it would not be that easy for USA then.

Or Robinson Jeffers:

SHINE, PERISHING REPUBLIC

While this America settles in the mould of its vulgarity, heavily thickening to empire
And protest, only a bubble in the molten mass, pops and sighs out, and the mass hardens,
I sadly smiling remember that the flower fades to make fruit, the fruit rots to make earth.
Out of the mother; and through the spring exultances, ripeness and decadence; and home to the mother.
You making haste haste on decay: not blameworthy; life is good, be it stubbornly long or suddenly
A mortal splendor: meteors are not needed less than mountains: shine, perishing republic.
But for my children, I would have them keep their distance from the thickening center; corruption
Never has been compulsory, when the cities lie at the monster's feet there are left the mountains.
And boys, be in nothing so moderate as in love of man, a clever servant, insufferable master.
There is the trap that catches noblest spirits, that caught – they say – God, when he walked on earth.

~ Robinson Jeffers (1925)

"Trump is a democracy threatening disease", definitely stage 4 at least.

With Murkins electing stage 1 through 3 democracy threatening diseases for the past three plus decades, electing the new stage 4 POTUS is no surprise.

Sorry, but Jeebus Freaking Cripes: Is there not growing, widespread understanding of the speed and breadth of the ecological crisis?

Yes, we all need to live in resistance. But the needed resistance goes far deeper than anything imagined by Burnett.

"Boycott Trump donors?" Sure, yes, absolutely. Except, if we're paying actual attention to what the Earth and humanity need, we're already not giving any money time or energy that is not required for our survival, to ANY mainstream corporate monster of any kind. Boycott the entire system. The horrific crisis of war and extinction did not suddenly start on November 8, it's been very obviously getting worse, at an accelerating pace, for decades, and THAT would not have changed with a Clinton presidency.

Yes Trump is a sort of unique horror in US history, AND no, there is nothing syddenly unique about the horror we all face. Both are true, and if Trump had not won, we would be facing an existential crisis of the survival of humanity and the collapse of the ecology. And we would need to live lives of resistance.

Our resistance is, must be, much more systemic and deep and committed, than simply resistance to Trump.

Good synopsis. If we can just make it to Jan 20th without Obomb-em and the Clinton-Hawks starting a nuke war with the Russians, things may calm down a bit. OBarry keeps talking about if he had run "for a third term" which is indicative he doesn't want to step down, which is ominous.

Trump wants to build things, Clinton and the GOP want to bomb things. If we could just somehow convince Trump to declare world war on emissions, and Initiate an emergency Green Economy, he'd go down in history as the best president in history.

But even that, is not going to dissipate the massive heat energy Seven billion Naked Apes make. It's admirable and a long shot with Auto giants in China and India putting a billion new peasants behind the wheel...

No amount of conservation can offset that. 10,000 additional humans are born every day. It's a fool's errand to think a carbon tax (which Wall Street will cheat on, like VW did) is going to help. A Green movement that doesn't even define the problem correctly is probably worse than nothing at all.

So our choice this election was really World Nuclear War or Pollution. Since War also makes pollution, I think we made the right choice (whoever WE is!; the man behind the Diebold voting machine curtain!) Now I think we need to push Trump hard to keep his word to defund NATO and tax the hell out of companies using oriental slave labor instead of Americans. He promised those things. Already the GOP and Ryan are making dirty deals with lobbyists to get all our new steel from China at firesale prices. That's why nobody can breathe over there anymore: No EPA. They are now selling bottled air from Colorado. No, I'm not making this up.

Happy Holidays!

TJ

Bob has it about right, to my way of thinking.
We are not going to wake up tomorrow with a "unifying agenda" other than the one that is or is about to be imposed on us.
I can be helpful to take a small respite before plunging ahead. Reflection is not a cop out.
Of course, everyone has their strong opinions, but I find wisdom and comfort in bob's words.

You are absolutely correct.