Home | About | Donate

5 Ways Shell’s Not Walking Its Talk on Climate Change

5 Ways Shell’s Not Walking Its Talk on Climate Change

Louise Rouse

Shell says a lot about the need for the oil industry to be credible on climate change.

It talks about the fight against climate change being a moral obligation, about the expectations it has of its contractors, and about the lessons Shell has learned from its 2012 misadventures in the US Arctic Ocean.

I think Shell and all the other multinational corporate oil co.'S are scary and we should dismantle them. However I can't help but notice all those kayaks are made of plastic. I also must assume most of the people drove a car running gas to get there boats to the water. Just saying. The irony and hypocrisy are pretty intense.. Nothing will change unless we make a change. We can be upset at oil company's but it does no good if we continue using there products.

So Jo, you stopped using a car, stopped using public transport, or that bike delivered on an oil burning ship from an oil burning factory built out of cement made by burning, you guessed it, oil?

Things will have to change, and start by getting rid of the worst, then move on to the next point. Everything is hypocritical at some point, but that should never be an excuse for not trying to do better.

JM,
I have a car, and a bike and even take trips in planes on occasion. I'm definitely being the bitter cynic here. Your absolutely right. It just seems at some point if we keep choosing the lesser of evils were doomed. I'll keep doing my best recycling, reusing and being as efficient as possible like a good little robot. I live here in Seattle. We have got to be the most self righteous group I've encountered in all my travels.. We complain when the price of oil goes up and protest those trying to find it. It's just alittle confusing is all.

Being a better human is never an easy thing, that's one reason why most people are not really religious, they just pick what part they prefer to follow according to their nature. Similarly few professed humanist are really humanist, they are often just libertards looking to legitimize selfish behavior. It's a journey, just make sure you take as many steps foward as you can each day, and don't be surprised if the road changes frequently. That's just the nature of living in the real world with limited knowledge. You don't have to follow the same path as some 'green" hero, they may be mistaken too; just stick to the principles.

as a very wise man put it, especially with points 1 and point 10 (those consumers are not as happy as TV makes them look). Get use to being confused. Just don't take it as an excuse to do nothing.

"Perhaps the essence of the intellectual outlook could be summed up in a new decalogue, not intended to replace the old one but only to supplement it. The Ten Commandments that, as a parent, I should wish to promulgate, might be set forth as follows:"

Do not feel absolutely certain of anything.

Do not think it worth while to proceed by concealing evidence, for the evidence is sure to come to light. Never try to discourage thinking deeply for yourself, for you are sure to succeed.

When you meet with opposition, even if it should be from your parents, your partner or your children, endeavor to overcome it by argument and not by authority, for a victory dependent upon authority is unreal and illusory.

Have no respect for the authority of others, for there are always contrary authorities to be found.

Do not use power to suppress opinions you think pernicious, for if you do the opinions will suppress you.

Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.

Find more pleasure in intelligent dissent than in passive agreement, for, if you value intelligence as you should, the former implies a deeper agreement than the latter.

Be scrupulously truthful, even if the truth is inconvenient, for it is more inconvenient when you try to conceal it.

Do not feel envious of the happiness of those who live in a fool’s paradise, for only a fool will think that it is happiness.

Wise words indeed my friend.
Appreciated