Home | About | Donate

50,000-Foot Smoke Plumes and Record-Shattering Heatwave as Climate Emergency California

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/06/50000-foot-smoke-plumes-and-record-shattering-heatwave-climate-emergency-california

8 Likes

Is the headline a precursor of a future headline?

** CLIMATE EMERGENCY GRIPS PLANET!

10 Likes

The future is here and now…
The videos remind me of the eruption of Mt Pinatubo back in the early 1990’s. That eruption lowered global temperatures 1 degree C, making the following year cool and wet.
But this thing…yet we go on driving and shopping and pretending the train will go on forever, as it dives off a steep cliff to extinction.
The land we invaders named California had been carefully tended by the Indigenous peoples, who practiced silvaculture to manage the fire/flood cycle. The ecosystem depended on cool fires to burn off the underbrush and germinate seeds. Invaders came, killed off almost all the Indigenous peoples, and built houses in places where there should be no houses.
We reap what we sow. As for the silvaculture, it’s described in Lee Klinger’s Ecological Evidence of Large Scale Silvaculture by California Indians, included in the anthology Unlearning the Language of Conquest.

26 Likes

True, only sooooo many people do not realize it! Too bad some climate scientists do not link covid-19 to climate devastation. Maybe that would wake people up to: " THE FUTURE IS HERE AND NOW"!

7 Likes

Yep. And the president’s response may include withholding funds until California rakes the forest. Like they do in Finland.

Plus fracking in national parks.

5 Likes

Always loved California: the fires, floods, earthquakes, conspiracy nuts, ridiculous cost of housing, and (who can forget) the plethora of assholes who moved to CA from Shitzone states with Shitzone habits. Will let you guess where The Shitzone is but I’ll give you a hint: I don’t trust anything east of Interstate-5 except New England!

4 Likes

Even Gaia is angry at the covidiot.

5 Likes

“Make America Rake Again”: found that in my Google search for “do they rake the forests in Finland”! I sometimes miss sarcasm.

3 Likes

Get used to this view of the horizon. In the near future it will be what most of us see every summer, in every party of the USA.

1 Like

the climate collapse is due to the overuse of fossil fuels-the Democratic candidate states -unequivocally-that he will continue to support the use of the most deadly of the green house gases–methane(fracked gas–as in I will NOT ban fracking)–this is from a party that CLAIMS to listen to the science but in fact have and continue to ignored the science for over 50 years-we cannot afford another climate denier as our leader and this is what the Democrats give us–along with denying health care (M4A) in a world pandemic–a UBI when millions are without work though no choice of their own–my question–why the hell would anyone vote for the continued destruction of our country and our world in support of the corporations doing the damage?? That is what you will be doing with a vote for the Democrats at this point in time–is Trump as bad?? yes–however he has managed (while proclaiming many egregious things)to do much less damage to the environment than the Obama’s administration–not that he wouldn’t want to do damage it is that what he wants needs the approval of Congress-faces many law suits- and so far very few corporations have even tried to take advantage of the proclamations(I submit because they realize the the backlash if they proceeded)-
-so where to go from this point-I propose we vote for the Democrats DOWN TICKET and refuse to give this environmental and social disaster our vote–work hard to get a Democratic Senate and House and hope the Democrats find the backbone they have been missing for the last few decades so they can stop the other mobsters(the ones working for the corporations in the other party who’s business plans are causing the problem)–if they started to support the needs of the people they might even get a veto proof majority and can send the legislation we need to the president and whether he signs it or not will be immaterial–time for the Dems to quit playing patsy , emulating the science denial of the Republicans , and start to act like a party that is something more than shills for the corporate agenda

3 Likes

We – we – need to declare an emergency in our own lives, and immediately take emergency measures to:

• STOP accepting / buying Earth-killing “consumer products” - use / buy ONLY what we NEED, and be honest and real about what human “needs” are relative to the collapsing ecology of the Earth;
  • STOP using automobiles and airplanes;
  • ORGANIZE an ever-expanding GENERAL STRIKE to DEMAND corporations and governments STOP investing in killing the Earth and the people, and START investing in social and ecological restoration and regeneration;
  • Support and join movements organizing direct-action non-violent RESISTANCE to interfere with and interrupt the corrupt corporate and governmental “business as usual” that operates “the economy” on behalf of the looting class;
  • WORK, with our families, friends and communities, to practice ecology and agro-ecology on the lands that we share, investing much of our lives in direct responsibility to the ecosystems we inhabit and to the millions of other species that also inhabit them, producing as much food as we can while maintaining complex diverse and regenerative ecosystems (NOT sterile industrial agriculture relying on mono-crop commodities and chemical warfare), in an attempt to restabilize the ecology and give it a chance.
15 Likes

Call me an alarmist. But we will look back at the year 2020 and consider it one of the good old days. I am a firm believer in exponential climate change and the possibility of an unlivable planet in the near future, with in twenty years or so. Humans needed to stop burning all fossil fuels a few decades ago. It’s over now. Enjoy what remaining time we have as it all goes to shit.

7 Likes

Laxidasical attitudes are a concern of many of us. Leadership first, so we can join together in some fashion . Alone we can’t do much. A coordinated response is the only one that will be effective, if at all.

4 Likes

This has been in the making long before the covidiot entered the White House. Gaia has had it out for the human species for many years now. Now it is ramping up in ways even the deniers will have a hard time denying.

7 Likes

Nice list webwalk. My motto: live simply; so that others may simply live.

9 Likes

Good luck with individual activism when half the country thinks that anything to do with global warming is a hoax. Another large portion of the people don’t care or simply are out to lunch.
It’s going to take a bigger effort than is available. We are likely screwed.

9 Likes

If one is not an alarmist about the coming climate apocalypse, it means they have not been paying attention; especially in Alaska where it is coming at an alarming rate!

9 Likes

Quite so, but no excuse to abuse what we have.

3 Likes

Goats! They can eat the underbrush. Use of goats should be mandatory.

5 Likes

Will they also eat Corporate Democrats and Republicans?

3 Likes