50 Ways to Leave the Euro: Greece and the Global Crisis

50 Ways to Leave the Euro: Greece and the Global Crisis

Thomas H. Greco, Jr.

The problem is all inside your head, I told the Greeks
The answer is easy, you need only stop the leaks
The power is yours to claim the freedom that you seek
There must be fifty ways to leave the Euro
(Apologies to Simon and Garfunkel)

A very interesting read that outlines the road to economies that are not predicated on this thing called money which the one percent use as the one ring to rule them all.

It insanity to have a system where people go hungry because there not money enough to feed them even as up to 50 percent if all food produced is wasted or ends up in landfills.

Before C.D. molted "Disqus," a number of posters relentlessly turned corporate malfeasance into the problem of the American voter.

Any remnant of that Kochs' Brothers--ALEC funded canard should be put to rest. The following 2 paragraphs convey the global nature of the heist and why what's happening in Greece is being worked as a template. Again, this is not about "the American voter." That's the equivalent of blaming the person hit by a drone for "being there" as if they volunteered for Organized Military Criminals' target practice:

"People are waking up to the fact that those who control money control economics, politics, and virtually everything else. Yet we have all been duped into allowing the money power to be turned over to unelected and often unknown persons. The result has been the subversion of democratic government, increasing disparities in incomes and wealth, and economic hardship and impoverishment of the masses.

"Greece is now the pivot point of a struggle that has been ongoing for a long time. People around the world must now decide whether we will create a “new world order” based on democratic government by and for the people, or allow ourselves to be herded into a neo-feudal society dominated by the few at the top of the international banking and corporate pyramid."

As I am fond of stating, the next revolution will be global and its beginning repercussions are underway.

I find your commentary smart and compelling; but you should proofread your material.

You posted:

"It insanity to have a system where people go hungry because there not money enough to feed them even as up to 50 percent if all food produced is wasted or ends up in landfills."

How about instead:

"It's insanity to have a system where people go (to bed) hungry because there's not enough money to feed them. Meanwhile, up to 50% of all food produced ends up wasted or in landfills."

Sorry but that posted on an iphone at lunch. it very hard to edit and not worth the effort most of the time and does auto corrects when I do not want it to. The keybad is also very small and my finger tips are not.

A most succinct and compelling article. I appreciate it when one can effectively convey ideas which involve very complex dynamics. Most of the solutions are indeed quite promising.

That said... I would shudder to think what the fraudsters would do with programs which concerned private currency or solidarity loans. I see too many opportunities for scams and abuse.

"With sovereign debt up around 180% of GDP, there is no way that the Greek government will ever be able to grow its way out of the current mess."

In 1945 British debt to GDP ratio was 200% and in 1947 the UK was bankrupt and the USA made a large loan to Britain that was paid off around 15 years ago.Unlike Germany, the UK was not a recipient of the Marshall plan. In 1948, the UK brought in the world's best national health service, at the the same or similar time creating a programme of building low-cost housing, rented out through city councils to the less well-off, ensured free secondary educuation to university entrance level, ensured free tuition fees for students, ensured a cost-of-living grant to university students, engaged on developing national research and development (such as produced the world's first radio telescope at Jodrell Bank), organised the welfare system so that everyone would have an old age pension and also the "dole" if forced into unemployment. In addition the the government invested in infrastructure and industry. As a result, the country was a reasonably comfortable place for the post-war generation, though it was not a paradise.

So recovery and the reconstruction of social well-being is not impossible despite massive indebtedness, if government and finance is willing. Clearly, then, in the Greek case the intent of government and finance is simply and solely to rape the country.

Who cares, really? I could understand you. English is sufficiently flexible to stand all manner of abuse; that is its great advantage and why it is a very useful international language.

Well let us just say i would rather not see that english language become C U B4 eye get 2 hi! LMAO :wink:

Text-speak acronyms beat me. But 2 hi sounds like Monday in Vietnamese.........

That now answers the question I once asked but didn't get back to you on- I didn't want to come off as A critic editing your word usage-

"We have all been duped into allowing the money power to be turned over to unelected and often unknown persons." Well, perhaps not ALL were duped. Some individuals are willing to work for a corrupted government and enforce laws that transfer individual rights, wealth and power from citizen to private fortune.

After WWII, Germany declined from an advancing army feared by all to a conquered and starving nation. Germans were judged liable by the courts for the massive damage wrought upon a world of murdered innocents, ruined land & infrastructure, and near-total destruction of European commerce and industry, a liability so immense that it was later considered unpayable and uncollected.
Germany, the entity that planned to rule the entire world with an iron fist, is once again a modern-day world power currently manipulating the loans and finances of several nations, while declaring that Greece now trapped in fraudulent loans that owe more than the nation owns must sacrifice all to repay the financial houses of Europe.

Much like destitution and ruin is a reality for Greece, the finances of the United States are under attack today, Money denied to critical social programs will be available for more bombs and bullets, compliments of our war machine and planned future bankruptcy. Austerity, or severe deprivation without resources will be our new reality as a nation condemned to permanent slave status, unable to function or recover at any time.

Marvelous article! Thank you for your work and perseverance in getting these ideas out in the world, Thomas. The article my be a bit dense for some people. I'm halfway through the book, Enough is Enough: Building a Sustainable Economy in a World of Finite Resources, by Rob Dietz and Dan O'Neil. A great primer on our economic system and the need for new monetary systems to help us move a just and sustainable ecology and economy forward.
A couple thoughts to add to Thomas' article, first around the issue of the ability to develop fraud and corruption in complementary currency systems. Hello?!? That is going on in our dominant currency system already and we have no back up. Economist Bernard Lietaer writes about stable ecosystems as having efficiency balanced by resiliency. Resiliency requires diversity and interconnectivity. A single monetary system is efficient but has no resiliency and also has no competition making it's capacity for corruption all that more likely. Complementary currencies, particularly at the local government level are essential to crate a stable ecology of money.
Second, from the Keynsian perspective lets not forget the power of local governments working to restore the commons as a jobs creator, and the capacity to create money to value the work that people do that is restorative, and that does not require producing anything but contributing to a healthy environment. This was done for the purpose of war with Lincoln's Greenbacks. We can do the same thing for the purpose of peace and restoration. For those who want to explore the complementary currency ideas further, check out the book by Hallsmith and Lietaer, Creating Wealth.
Lastly, how about we take some guidance from the sacred western spiritual tradition. The Old Testament has many economic policies to help maintain economic and social justice. Every 7th year is a shmita year where all debt is forgiven. Every 50th year is a Jubilee year, where all land reverts back to its original owner. Some Rabbis question whether these laws were ever enforced. Maybe its time to take them seriously. How about redeveloping debt systems where there is a cap on the length of time a debt is allowable, and the opportunity for all countries to restore economic sovereignty after so many years. Lots of ideas to consider as we work to develop global monetary laws that truly meet the needs of the planet and her people.Blessings to us all for the strength and capacity to bring these ideas to life!

Thomas this is another outstanding piece of work.

There are practical ideas - yet again - that we in community can employ to further our objectives.

For readers interested in his other practical ideas, please refer to "The End of Money and the Future of Civilisation" where his ideas for a web-based trading platform are particularly incisive and pragmatic. It is the best book on money that i have read.