Home | About | Donate

57 Years Ago Today - How Four College Students Started a Revolution

57 Years Ago Today - How Four College Students Started a Revolution

Peter Dreier

Late in the afternoon of February 1, 1960, four young black men — Ezell Blair Jr., David Richmond, Franklin McCain, and Joseph McNeil, all students at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical College in Greensboro — visited the local Woolworth’s five-and-dime store. They purchased school supplies and toothpaste, and then they sat down at the store’s lunch counter and ordered coffee.

“I’m sorry,” said the waitress. “We don’t serve Negroes here.”

My 80 year old sister in law went on her first march in the Woman's March.

More and more people agree with what Bernie said that only millions can have an effect on politics. When I first heard him say this, I was skeptical.

Bernie also said the biggest mistake Obama made was to walk away from the millions who were behind him in the 2008 presidential race. We now know that he was tied to neo liberal economic policies, like his last ditch stand for TPP. If he had put as much political capital in the health plan right at the start of his administration, he might have been able to pull off the single payer health plan that is favored by a majority of Americans.

Now that we realize that both parties are tied to the oligarchs, the people have to hit the street.

And hopefully some solid political institutions can be created to deal with the issues that have been delayed for far too many decades.

"Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are stiffened."
~Billy Graham

The Woolworth Four showed what a few people of great moral compass and courage may accomplish - the other eyes they can open, and the wider movement and power their actions can help build - they found a great leader in Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Bernie Sanders candidacy and principled stand on issues, plain truth telling and honesty, even within a corrupt venal system, showed what people may accomplish - what power their actions can build - especially in the millions. Sanders attempt was sabotaged and thwarted, but seeds were planted, and now millions are involved and hope a leader that cannot be bought-off or corrupted will rise.

Bernie Sanders may not be that leader, but his issues and plain honesty until threatened and forced out in favor of HRC, his continued dedication and opposition, should be a model for whoever steps up to the plate.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." - Mohandas Gandhi

True heroes.
And well after that revolution, the backlash was severe and a renewed Southern Strategy was needed: First with Nixon (even though great on environmental issues)

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."
----John Ehrlichman

Then with Reagan (welfare queens and inner city)

''You start out in 1954 by saying, 'Nigger, nigger, nigger.' By 1968 you can't say 'nigger' -- that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.

''And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me -- because obviously sitting around saying, 'We want to cut this,' is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than 'Nigger, nigger.'' ---Lee Atwater

So guess why DT has Chicago in his American Carnage sights?

Reminds me of the breastfeeding sit-ins mothers do these days when a store hassles a breastfeeding mother.

Breastfeeding rights, important as they are, are nothing compared to the civil-rights sit-ins, as are the risks faced by nursing moms compared to what these folks faced. No one ever beat a nursing mom's head in. I appreciate your support, but don't diminish anyone's rights by comparing them.

Don't tell me what to not say. You Don't!!!!!!
Comparing the sit-ins of today to what the students did all those years ago DOES NOT diminish what they accomplished. It continues to keep the momentum they started rolling!

You're talking to a breastfed baby who nursed 2 herself and is the grandmother of 2 nursed babies. But I would never, ever try to compare what my family's women risked or the importance of our cause to the risks and the cause of the civil-rights revolutionaries.

"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world."
— Howard Zinn