Home | About | Donate

6-Month Update for Trump Voters

6-Month Update for Trump Voters

Robert Reich

So after six months, has he delivered what he promised you?

1. He told you he’d repeal Obamacare and replace it with something “beautiful.” You bought it. But he didn’t repeal and he didn’t replace. (Just as well: His plan would have knocked at least 22 million off health insurance, including many of you.)

2. He told you he’d cut your taxes. You bought it. But tax “reform” is stalled. And if it ever moves, the only ones whose taxes will be cut are the wealthy.

Let’s face it. A full third of this country thinks Trump is absolutely fantastic, despite all of the points that Mr. Reich has outlined. Despite the fact that Trump has quite literally screwed over most of the idiots who voted for him, and despite the fact that most of them can see this if they would only open their eyes - most of those individuals will continue to support Trump anyway, regardless of the mental gymnastics they have to pull off to overcome all the cognitive dissonance that is assaulting their belief system. “Never underestimate the stupidity of the American Voter.” - Anonymous.

And Reich bought all of the Clinton administration’s bs. And on we go in a capitalist nightmare.

Are the people who were bamboozled by Obama, and even re-elected him, idiots too?

While these items listed by Reich have a high priority for progressives and probably Democrats in general they are not top priority items for most Trump voters. For them the top priority is probably racial issues. Many think whites are a superior race and most think politicians are not speaking up for interest of whites. They think Trump is speaking up for whites and that is big reason why they continue to support him. Certainly his Muslim ban or attempts at a Muslim ban has a lot of support. And there is a lot support for his efforts to build the wall as well the tough measures being used to deport undocumented immigrants. Also they agree with Trump when he says the press is the enemy of the people. Many of his supporters would like to live in a fascist state and so far Trump has failed to deliver but he certainly trying to move in that direction. All in all Trump supporters must be very happy that he did not turn into a normal president and they approve of the direction he trying to move this country, basically toward a white nationalist fascist state.

Now if only Fox, Briebart, Newsmax, Alec Jones would cover you his voters might here about his not getting things done. Somehow he tweets that he is doing a great job and they believe even though they can’t see a damn thing.

He didn’t. You are spouting fabricated nonsense by people who no nothing about anything. He ran the Dept. of Labor well and tried to introduce tough new worker protection regulations. When he was blown off by Clinton and his cronies, he resigned.

His core of faithful supporters were upper-middle class small business owners who had no interest in the welfare of the working class. But the margin of voters in PA, MI and WI which gave him the electoral college majority were the less committal voters who believed the “Trump is a champion of the working class and a Man of Peace” BS and also believed the fake scandal stories regarding Hillary Clinton, while ignoring the documented the actual scandalous Trump ties to the Mob. Recall how many of them were right her on Common Dreams.

Here is the clincher

Mrs. Clinton, the choice I voted for just in case Oregon came close for Orang USAn, would still be bombing Syria (9), still be selling her soul to the billionaires packing our jobs to countries without labor security (11), still be giving wall street money instead of prison sentences (4) , still be giving drug manufacturers the prices that they extract (7), still not be investing in our infrastructure (or giving it away to private companies a lad Daniels/Pence in Indiana) (2), and still be smiling everyday on the camera for your dollar.

As for the other five points, blowhards will be blowhards.

Lesser of two evils, rock and a hard place, poor misbegotten American, Darned if you do/darned if you don’t?

We have eighteen months for some impact. The supreme court has already been sold for decades to come.

I think you have to be in good health to do gymnastics. I think the cognitive dissonance is better solved with a dull grunt and a bag of Doritos.

EVD, we should make distinctions. Obama was no Trump. Those who voted for him instead of McCain and Romney were making a sound choice. The Obama voter and the Trump voter are in no way equals.

So you know for sure what Clinton would have done? Wow! Can I borrow the Magic 8 Ball this weekend? I figure I can win the lottery with that thing.

I enthusiastically second your opinion!

No, I don t have a crystal ball.
I have a track record and a history stretching eight years with her husband and eight with Obama.
That is the only thing I am basing my conclusion on.

Please. Wake up-

Funny, someone named Leftist defending Reich.

You are so very right on all counts. DJT supporters were fed up with having to see a Black president for eight years, were angry about marriage equality becoming law in every state, were p-o’d at not having Roe v Wade overturned, and accused non-white immigrants of “takin’ our jobs.” Their driving forces were/are: their ignorance, their anger, their racism, their xenophobia, and their self-pity (and I have the misfortune of working with any number of them day-in and day-out…at a University no less…located in a rural area…).

Don’t overlook the unstated, racist promise to make amerika great again by bringing back “law and order.” I’m pretty sure that was the most important draw for most white, “Christian heartlanders.” Hating people of color was really what this election was most about.

That news clip is entirely off topic to the discussion which was Reich’s performance as Sec. of Labor from 1993 to 1997. But, since you put it up, we can sure see that the last six months sure have vindicated Reich’s positions in it.

As far as being a leftist, do you honestly think that, strategically and in terms of results, Trump has been better for the left? In terms of just one issue alone, anthropogenic global warming, Trump may have sealed the fate of all humanity. Has Clinton been elected, we would have a fighting chance - if we organized. But now? forget it.

But I guess the fake-pseudo-new-alt-crypto-Trumpist “left” cannot see this.

Basing your conclusions on 2 people who are NOT Hillary makes no sense. Hillary’s record in the Senate was far more progressive than nearly all other Senators. And, like quite a few other liberals, she was continuing to move left. People who demand anything near perfection from their politicians, make me sick.

I am not sure I concur with your leftward movement conclusion.
Did she take wall street money to fund her campaign?
Do you not remember her remarks on Syria?
Did she ever take an anti war stand?
As secretary of state, did she not continue the Empire building machinations?

Like most others, I am biased against something that is not readily apparent to me. Currently in cognitive dissonance.