Home | About | Donate

6 Reasons Impossible Burger's CEO Is Wrong About GMO Soy

6 Reasons Impossible Burger's CEO Is Wrong About GMO Soy

Pat Thomas

Throughout the U.S., major food brands are trying to get rid of GMO ingredients—not necessarily for the right reasons, but because nearly half of consumers say they avoid them in their food, primarily for health reasons.

But the CEO of Impossible Foods, purveyor of the Impossible Burger, is bucking that trend.

Both my parents are vegetarians and ate a lot of GMO soy until I showed them a report on the potential risk of thyroid cancer from consuming GMO soy. Both had their cancerous thyroids removed. One died from an unrelated cancer and the survivor is very keen on reading labels and avoiding anything made or using GMO.

2 Likes

I can’t stand the Impossible Burger myself - it tastes too much like meat which I don’t have the taste for. I complain to restaurants if that is the only veggie burger they have (I’d rather have a homemade black bean burger).

Tempeh is my favorite form of soy. I probably consume some of the soy protein isolate stuff too - it’s everywhere. I’m not keen on GMOs for many reasons, but I’m not that worried (in terms of my own health) about eating a little of it that I missed.

Another reason to forget about this company and look for alternatives.

2 Likes

It may be true that ‘GMO’ food is safe, but only if it is not doused with glyphosate. But, since the point of most GMO crops is to allow them to be doused with glyphosate or other toxic carcinogens, it’s a lie to claim that GMO food is safe…

1 Like

Remember that correlation is not causation especially with thyroid cancers as there are so many common contaminants which USAns are exposed to daily that are known “endocrine disruptors” … but your story definitely makes one go ‘hmmm’. Best wishes to your family.

An interesting article on GMO soy. The bottom line: Because 94% of the soy beans grown in the US are GMO, if you eat soy, you’re almost guaranteed to be eating a GMO. In fact, all of the largest soy producing countries are well over 90% GMO. And obviously, that GMO soy is pretty much guaranteed to have been sprayed with glyphosate. Furthermore, if you’re ‘lucky’ enough to be eating non-GMO soy, it’s almost guaranteed to have been sprayed with multiple other herbicides.

The good news: there is a nascent move away from GMO soy by farmers:

Could you define doused for me please.

As always, articles on GM and GE foods conflate horrible, predatory agro-business practices of companies like Monsanto, Dow, and Bayer with food safety and environmental problems. I’ve got some bananas with huge seeds and a slightly sour taste growing behind my house to replace that long, seedless, sweet one you are currently eating, though you’ll have to fight the monkeys for them.

Every GMO article attacts Bayer operatives