Home | About | Donate

6 States Where Voters Could Push Democracy Forward in the Midterms

6 States Where Voters Could Push Democracy Forward in the Midterms

Kevon Paynter

The 2018 midterm elections in November present a real chance for Democrats to regain control of the U.S. House, Senate, and many state legislatures. Yet choosing newly elected officials won’t be the only important items on the ballot. In at least six states, American voters have the chance to directly enact legislation that would curb corporate lobbyist influence, raise the minimum wage, enact police reforms, or restore voting rights.

From the article:

“‘I think that Americans are hungry for change in our political process,’ Bailey says."

And I’m afraid that we’ll all starve before we get it. Thanks a lot, Koch fiends.

"6 States Where Voters Could Push Democracy Forward in the Midterms "…And 44 States that won’t.

Working wages should at least meet the reality of the actual cost of living. Growing up in Florida they most certainly did not.

The MA proposition would only tax 4% on that portion of the income that is over $1,000,000. So if someone makes $1,000,500, their additional tax would be $20, which is 0.002% of their whole income.

MA has a state income tax. What’s wrong with saying they will raise the tax rate by 2% on the highest bracket?

And what’s to stop executives from saying, “Well, I only make $999,999. Plus, the corporation I own provides me with a car, which is a tax-deductible business expense, and it pays for my housing, which is a tax-deductible business expense, and it pays for me to eat at the fanciest restaurants, which is a tax-deductible business expense, and it pays for season tickets to all the pro-sports teams, which is a tax-deductible business expense, and if the immense stress of my job gets to me and I force my secretary to watch me masturbate and she sues me for $1M, that’s a tax deductible business expense. . .”

Ranked choice voting: considering that D candidates like to blame Green party voters for making them lose, you’d figure the DNC would be all over this one.

I’m glad you published this. In my state, Rhode Island, when we had a chance to amend the state constitution to allow voter initiative the progressive community, including labor, ACLU, pro-choice, enviro groups… were against it, preferring to deal with our legislature, disappointing as it is, than the people who by and large almost always support the progressive agenda (on bond issues, choice, environment, votes for felons etc) when asked. There was a time when anti-civil rights referenda seemed threatening, but nowadays the initiative energy is mostly on the progressive side. I hope this helps wake up the communty here.

I ain’t buying what your selling.

Ballot Initiative Strategy Center “does not publicly disclose its donors.” They have however received funding from Soros and the Ford Foundation.