Home | About | Donate

7,000+ Colleges and Universities Declare Climate Emergency and Unveil Three-Point Plan to Combat It

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/10/7000-colleges-and-universities-declare-climate-emergency-and-unveil-three-point-plan

1 Like

This “smart” plan must just sound like tree hugging to right-wingers.

Well, is even this enough to defeat our Gestapo/CIA criminal enterprise
now commanded by Trump as the Godfather – and near total control over
our people’s government?

2 Likes

i’m guessing part of that plan isn’t reconverting colleges back into, well, colleges instead of debt farms?

Probably not. "Green without Giving Up the Green! (Wink Nudge!)

It’s hard to respect what is a professional indenturing industry’s opinion on anything.

4 Likes

Well these 3 points are about 1% of what is needed. I doubt we will see the other 99% any time soon!!

2 Likes

I’m a rather prolific solar and climate change inventor. I propose that a courageous university should consider building prototypes in the following fields:

1. Greenhouses. My greenhouse at www.klinkmansolar.com/greenhouses.htm already grows warm weather salad vegetables all winter with zero fuel, off-grid in Rhode Island. We still can do better.

2. 90% solar, 10% renewable electricity for heating buildings in winter using stored solar heat on demand. Every building should maintain 68 degrees every day in winter.

2a. The same for stored cooling on demand.

1. We already have solar power towers banking stored solar heat to generate after-sunset electricity. I can fix the bird kill problem. Also, I have a solar competitor.

2. We need a transit system with the flexibility of vehicles, but with no freeways to build and 1/10 the renewable energy cost per passenger-mile. Let’s work on the subsystems until we’re pretty sure that it shall work.

3. The Arctic meltdown would be an abomination. I have detailed designs for a wind-powered pump that would put seawater above the Arctic ice in below-zero temperatures. This would restore the Arctic Ocean’s ice pack and its summer albedo. I have written Arizona State to improve their sketch.

4. Next, we also need wind-powered snow making units to coat the Arctic tundra in late spring and in early fall.

5. We need solar-based potable and/or agricultural quality water in desert areas.

There’s more.

So, I want to be employed by one university or college as an engineer and inventor, with lab money. I want to find a serious university or college, one with unimpeachable academic integrity, one that would like to earn prestige within the climate community for doing exactly the work that the planet needs.

If you’re the real deal, I’m the real deal. I’m at klinkmansolar.com

3 Likes

Hi truthfiest:
Yes things are moving slowly, but sometimes the public acts a lot like seeing a slinky for the first time. There has to be the right kind of stairs available for the slinky to get going and when it finally gains their attention----then people just can’t get enough slinky! : ) I think it will be like that for the Climate Crisis too. : )

1 Like

sure, this is technically spam, but it’s cool spam. I wish you luck. and thanks for devoting your energies to this cause.

Paul:

University of Dayton at Dayton (Ohio) has a Hanley Sustainability Institute. You might send your proposal to them.

Good luck.

Peace.
ths.

One of the 3 points listed can certainly be a step in the correct direction. Simply put all fossil fuel resources need to be nationalized with all profits going to fund resource and development of new renewable energy sources. Thereby we use what is killing us to possibly save us.

Colleges and universities are supposed to house some of the finest minds in the nation and this is the best they can come up with?

Dial back US military overreach. Close these unnecessary worldwide military bases and slash military spending. Scale back the military mission and pursue peace through negotiation. End the aggressive regime change operations and false flag subterfuge. Redirect these efforts and resources toward carbon reduction.

These are just some of the things Universities should advocate.

3 Likes

From the article, point 2,
2. Committing to going carbon neutral by 2030 or 2050 at the very latest;

Easy to commit. Harder to do. Have you actually thought through what life under a carbon neutral regime would be like?

Comments to some of the earlier comments:

Think colder. I have heard that igloos are sufficiently warm simply from the body heat-ing of the people inside them. Much the same, btw, for cooling. Except for hospitals, is there any need for any air-conditioning?

As for lighting, we should pretty much get up with the sun, and go down with the sun. Next to no artificial lighting. And no travel further than one can walk or bicycle.

A few points need to be kept in mind. Some adversaries aren’t interested in any negotiated peace. An obvious example is PRChina and ROChina (Taiwan). PRChina declared it won’t end its hostilities except by annexation of Taiwan and subjugating Taiwan to its rule. So much for the UN concept of “self-determination” and the Decl. of Independence “… by consent of the governed.”
Also think about these quotes:
“The quickest way to end a war is to lose it.” - George Orwell
And generalizing Patrick Henry, “if a man hasn’t discovered something that he will die for, he is not fit to live” - Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

If you do not do politics [few people do and most of them do it dishonestly], politics will do you.

1 Like