Home | About | Donate

80 Lawmakers Demand Trump Ditch Any Thought of 'Dangerously Provocative' Nuclear Tests

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/08/80-lawmakers-demand-trump-ditch-any-thought-dangerously-provocative-nuclear-tests

3 Likes

Just when the entire world is scrambling to find a way of abolishing all nuclear weapons, the President of the U.S. figures we should blow a few up in the meantime. Concentrating on the possibility that our current president may “test” a nuclear weapon is defined as horrendous and dangerously provocative. But when the president backs off, we will be led to believe that the special interest groups have a grip on power despite the fact that the U.S. continues to stock pile and modernize thousands of bombs that would extinguish all life on the planet if launched. This narrow focus on a “potential error” by the President receives mainstream condemnation, while completely avoiding the root cause of the problem which is having the ability to make such a mistake in the first place! This plays into the Great Western Narrative, by feeding the audience bombastic assertions while completely ignoring the elephant in the room.
Any Progressive instinctively recognizes the irony here, but the Great Western Narrative is reinforced by implying that nuclear weapons are essential to protecting our collective security unless in the extremely unlikely event that the “masses” elect a narcissistic, ignorant president who is hellbent on firing off a few nuclear missiles to prove a point!
Then we’re told that 80 lawmaker’s object to this. There are 435 members of Congress alone, all of them “lawmaker’s”, so why are only 80 of them objecting? Another implied message is therefore reinforced and delivered that says that while ‘some’ lawmakers object to the firing of nuclear weapons, it is at least open to discussion to the rest of the lawmakers. At no time is there any indication that there is universal public outrage except amongst the membership of ICAN, their “liberal supporters” and a handful of D.C. lawmakers.
I might be alone here, but a true press in my humble opinion would lead with headlines like… “President still stalling on disarming American nuclear arsenal” or “Congress continues to modernize and expand nuclear arsenal despite public outrage” or “existence of nuclear stockpile display massive disconnect between current and past governments and the general electorate”. Alas, just like climate change or America’s unjust and brutal foreign policies, it is a discussion best avoided by the MSM.

6 Likes

The time-lapse map of the 2053 nuclear tests is amazing. USA came out top with 1032 tests. Really, how many do you need. Didn’t notice any Israeli tests on there and they are supposed to have 200 nuclear warheads. No wonder the planet is fucked.

8 Likes

Even your “true press” headlines are somewhat tame. I could think of a few a bit more attention grabbing. :))

2 Likes

Out of 535 lawmakers in DC, that is 14.95% of lawmakers in DC opposed to nuclear Testing By trump. that makes 85% in favor, with probably at least 43% strongly in favor of increased nuclear testing

3 Likes

How about: INSANE TRUMP MUST BE REMOVED FROM NUKES!

6 Likes

Great. Just omit the “from nukes” bit.

8 Likes

Typical Trump maneuver. He’s trapped in The Big House(as in Plantation), it’s all going pear-shaped, next step is to rattle sabers. Big radioactive sabers. I’m sorry, but this time it won’t work. Not with people worried about getting sick, about how to pay the bills, will the job still be there when we can return to work. I’d love to hear The Boss compose a song about the Ghost of Roy Cohn, Trump’s mentor.

6 Likes

I spent some time working in the Nevada Test Site, which is chock full of pock marks where explosions took place. It instilled in me a surreal and sobering sensation. Much like looking down at the Minuteman II missile in its silo, the NTS changed me forever. Fortunately Gorbachev was in office at the time, so I did have hope.

3 Likes

That’s probably how he thinks of it. LOL

4 Likes

Being a ‘stable jenius’, Presidunce tRump will likely order a ‘two fer’ by dropping a nuke on a hurricane! Kill a hurricane and get a test thrown in for free! What a jenius!

4 Likes

The Vela incident , also known as the South Atlantic Flash , was an unidentified double flash of light detected by an American [Vela Hotel] satellite on 22 September 1979 near the [Prince Edward Islands] in the Indian Ocean.

According to journalist Seymour Hersh , the detection was the third joint Israeli-South African nuclear test in the Indian Ocean , and the Israelis had sent two IDF ships and “a contingent of Israeli military men and nuclear experts” for the test.

3 Likes

The person that travels with America’s nuclear codes is one Donald Trump.
Yet not only do Congress and the Courts allow him to remain, they’re going to allow him to run for a second (or third, if they’re lucky) term.

3 Likes

Be fair to the 85% of Congress-Critters! It is likely that they have not received the focus-group results and/or have not received directions from their ‘constituents’ on Wall Street & in Corporate Boardrooms.

3 Likes

Or remove insane nukes from anyone especially the insane.

4 Likes

I live “out west” and when I drive through NM, AZ and neighboring sites I usually think of the previous “test” explosions. The area just northeast of Desert Valley houses the Navy Weapons Testing Base. Used to live near there also and tried not to think of all the bombs being exploded.

2 Likes

Remember Trump the Psycho has stopped all press conferences. No president has done this. His new spokesperson lied about gassing American citizens in front of the White House. Trump has no “right mind” so normal behavioral patterns do not exist to the three percent of sociopaths. There may be hope The Cabal, the World Bankers may be losing some of their grip but some say they still control 80 percent of the World’s income. World Bankers. The dots always lead back to them and they fund both sides of every war. Rotten to the core. We compare morality where morals never existed.
I can say a couple of things about nukes. I guarded them. I was picked to be a close-in sentry on nuclear weapons and nuclear missile sites. It saved my life because I didn’t go to Nam, nukes don’t go to combat. I was too stupid to understand it immediately but of 500 troops getting assigned, eight of us went to Europe. Everybody went to Nam because Tricky was escalating before the collapse. I can tell you this. American nukes are very well protected. We need no more. We did have a tendency to lose a couple, a Broken Arrow, but I think we found one. One is still missing in the Arctic Sea I think. The last thing we need is another nuclear bomb. America is good at protecting her nukes and she’s good at keeping secrets from us. Trump is history.

3 Likes

If this happens maybe humans need to be flushed down the ‘memory holes’ as a species that’s ungovernable. What other bone-headed ideas are waiting to undo us? My dad worked on some of the last nuclear tests in Nevada. When the Cold War ended he retired and was thankful we were all still here in one piece. WTF is wrong with people in power? F**k them all.
P.S. He’s still living and doesn’t glow in the dark.

3 Likes

Put all the nukes on a big rocket ship and fire them at the Sun where they won’t bother Earth ever again. Yep, I’m dreaming again.

4 Likes

The Doomsday Clock in 2020 was reset to 100 seconds before midnight by members of the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists. Clock was started in 1947 and is now closer to midnight then ever before.

2 Likes