Home | About | Donate

9/11 Saudi Arabia Bill Opens US to Avalanche of Lawsuits

9/11 Saudi Arabia Bill Opens US to Avalanche of Lawsuits

Stephen Kinzer

Last week, as the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks approached, members of Congress gathered on the Capitol steps to pray, followed by a rendition of “God Bless America.” Then, evidently energized, they went inside and passed a bill that would allow relatives of 9/11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia for its apparent support of the attackers. President Obama is likely to veto it. Emotion could lead Congress to override his veto. That would have a shattering effect on American and global politics.

Perhaps a few lawsuits sent in our direction might help America decide to change the way we approach the world?

“'The fact that a foreign government may have aided and abetted terrorism is infuriating to the families if justice is not done'” Senator Chuck Schumer of New York said last week. He is correct. Americans have a right to be furious with some foreign governments. People in other countries have an equal right to be furious with the United States. We best address that fury not with lawsuits, but by changing the way we approach the world."

Having less than no expectation of anyone's soon changing the way we / they approach the world, I'm for the bill. Perhaps it might make some incremental change in approaching the world more likely.

No, a thousand times no. Lawsuits will be the best way to get things out in the open. Justice will be served when instead of governments being made to pay, it will be the politicians and oligarchs that ordered these atrocities. Like the ones that lied us into invading, bombing, killing and impoverishing innocents. They are responsible and should be made to pay, not the citizenry.

The content of this article provides many good reasons for people who were harmed to sue.

Add to the list: the installation of the Shah Reza Pahlavi by the US in Iran and the US funding and training of SAVAK.

"The US doesn't engage in terrorism." I'm having a hard time imagining just how fucked-up in the head someone must be to not only say that, but to truly believe it. Put that person in the same quarantine with the Christian preacher that told the HS national anthem protestors to line up by the fence so the cops could take pot shots at them.

Beam me up Scottie - NOW!

What's good for the geese is good for the gander. After a few years of trying to fend off the myriad lawsuits, the US government my just decide it's time, at long last, to fess up about the last 50 or 100 years of "foreign policy" interventions. Then, emboldened, fess up to the last 240 + years of genocide at home, practiced against the Native Americans. Oops, dreaming again ...

Just might take victims of our murderous (regime change) foreign policies to make the changes that Americans are incapable of making.....
peace

The sad part is that Nadler is part of the ruling class in America.........
peace