Home | About | Donate

A Better World Is Possible: A Father's Day Note

A Better World Is Possible: A Father's Day Note

John Friedrich

Dear Rosie,

Two days ago you turned ten. Where does the time go?

I remember vividly the feeling of looking at you for the first time the night you were born, on the eve of Father’s Day. I sang you a song (Danny Boy) that I’d sung many times into your mommy’s belly. You stopped crying and gazed into my eyes, with a look of recognition. Like the Grinch, my heart grew three times that day, and nothing has been the same since!

It's beautiful to see a man who can open his heart and identify with the YIN virtues of peace and nurturing. Your daughter is fortunate to have "found" such a loving, dedicated man to serve as her father.

As a Grandmother, I, too, do what I can to try to change the course of our beloved planet's clearly unbalanced trajectory. I began writing children's stories almost 40 years ago and converted quite a few into movie scripts; but most of Hollywood is intent upon retaining sexist stereotypes, competition, and the same stale stories told over and over again (to limit children's imaginations as to what is possible).

Still, I write on.

I once met a very humble nun-like woman who told me her purpose was to "Hold the Light" in this world, and by that she meant: Show unconditional love as often as she could.

The ideals of peace, harmony, and justice would be greatly furthered if people could transcend the idea that anyone else IS their enemy. So long as the mass media, religious houses of worship, leaders, and of course the Military insist on THIS frame... it will thwart the efforts and objectives of those millions who do envision a far better society and relationship between human beings and all components of the natural world.

I feel the same way and I find it very easy and, not to frame it in a selfish manner, very rewarding.

Beautiful words again Siouxrose11.

Then you are very blessed.

I think it's inordinately difficult not to feel angry these days. I feel it because it's so obvious to me that better ways of living and solutions to many of humanity's problems exist--but there are very powerful interests who are standing in the way of their implementation and in some cases, the very knowledge of these things.

I also respect this idea of cosmic human chemistry; and in stating that, I've long-recognized how people born to earth signs (earth being the slowest forming element), particularly "natives" of Taurus and Capricorn hold their tempers VERY well.

Fire signs (I am one) not so much so. But most fire signs explode a bit, and then the burn is over. We don't carry or hold grudges.

In any case, I think of the Biblical example of Jesus showing HIS anger when he tossed over the tables of the money-changers because they were violating a holy place on a holy day.

I hardly have a Buddhist monk's tolerance of everyday stupidity and callousness shown by people. But I know people can be LIFTED to behave in far better fashions if society didn't reward brute force, self-centered self-interest, and the general dog-eat-dog, who's the baddest bad boy, and all the other Mars-ruled CRAP that for too many is taken for the ONLY norm to define human beings and this elusive thing some term, "Human Nature."

As an astrologer, I'd argue that there are TWELVE fundamental Human Natures and so long as the Mars One gets to run the show, our planet is turned into a burning hotbed of crime, rape, violence, and war.

This is why the Astrologer has been (and still remains seen as) the ultimate heretic: Our vision for a holistic world totally invalidates the one held up by the church-state for centuries.

But we see where THAT one has taken us.

Hence: Time for a course correction that is as much "on cosmic time" as it's being demonstrated in and through so many things that are indeed coming apart here on the mundane plane.

(I hope you found some interest in my comment. You inspired it.)

Happy Father's Day... if it applies.

Right on John Friedrich !

Our son Michael is eleven and some - every word you spoke could be mine.

To say that the challenges are daunting would qualify in this day and age as understatement on steroids.

After many many years living with what is obviously a form of insanity, perhaps engendered in large part by civilization's influence - from its domestication of a once free human being to its apparent removal from the natural world of small tribes embedded in geographies of understandable size - I think this:

Somehow we must make personal choices which enable life to continue and flourish.

We might wish to change much. To a first approximation everything we are doing is wrong.

But realistically, most of us anyway can only change what we personally do - for a living, and to reconnect with the natural world - to reconnect with other human beings in this world.

For despite the density of our cities and towns, despite our community groups - I have not seen anything even remotely resembling the tribe of fancy - living on the land together - eating well together or starving together - the key word being together.

This hierarchy is intolerable.

It is intolerable because it has no future.

- 30 -

Dear Climate Parents,

"From San Francisco to Syria, Indianapolis to Iraq, the love that we parents have for our kids is universal." Yes, yes, this should go without saying, but still, it's good to say in these times, so thank you for saying it.

"And yet, when I look around in these last days of your single digit years, I see awful spasms of violence – a mad man with a gun mowing down dozens of uncles, aunts, sons, daughters in Orlando, while bombs are dropped on hospitals tending to injured children in Syria." These are certainly examples of terrible violence, without a doubt. But you, John Friedrich, like me, live in the USA, and in California, and probably, like me, pay U.S. taxes that have directly also caused equally terrible violence. Like a U.S. gunship firing on a hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan for an hour, killing about as many as died in the bullets at the Pulse. Our country continues to block any trustworthy investigation into that mass killing, and instead has cleared itself/ourselves of any real wrongdoing. And the U.S. drone wars, or weapons and money for Saudi Arabia's war on Yemeni civilians, or the simple fact that our country continues to reproduce a military equal to the rest of the world's militaries combined--and our country uses our military to kill perhaps every day, in service to 1% interests and often in violation of human rights, including the right to live.

If we U.S. people are to speak of the problem of violence in the world, we need to begin, to echo Dr. MLK, Jr., with that perpetuated by our own country. We can do so with great hope, with compassion, with humility, knowing that it is right and promising to take responsibility first for what we most directly are connected to. Until I myself and my own country commits to respecting basic human rights, how can I criticize others or other nations first?

Siouxrose11 -- thank you for your thoughtful, heartfelt comment. I'd love to read some of your children's stories. Are they available somewhere?

Thank for your comment Apples. As someone who was involved in peace/antiwar efforts before the disastrous Iraq war, and wars before that, I completely agree. I've written several pieces on Common Dreams on that theme in the past. I could have also mentioned in this piece bombs dropped by the U.S. on the Doctors Without Borders hospital in Afghanistan, or the decade and a half of death and destruction caused throughout the region as the result of the U.S.-initiated Iraq War. Orlando and Syria were very current in my thoughts, which is why I wrote what I did. If we're serious about preserving life as we know it on the planet, we need to move as fast as possible from global warring to confronting global warming. I don't think we can do the latter sufficiently without the former.

"Gregory Had Gas" can be found on Amazon and so can "A Problem In Dragon Kingdom."

My astrological allegory for kids is entitled, "Cassandra's Tale: Invitation To the Circle" and I am currently adopting it as a screenplay.

I was a teacher and like the followers of the Bahai Faith always felt the way to change the world was to lift children into a higher consciousness.

Did you see how Dr. Seuss' "The Lorax" was absolutely massacred? I watched it with my Grandson and I HATED it. It was so contrary to everything that Dr. Seuss (who I believe had reached a VERY high state of consciousness, close to that of a Master) intended to convey to children.

All of his books impart major spiritual lessons. He had a gift for sneaking those in through stories that didn't seem didactic at all.

Thank you for the kind words...