Home | About | Donate

A Better World Through Bombing

A Better World Through Bombing

Tom Engelhardt

As October ended, White House spokesperson Josh Earnest announced that the U.S.

America's technical prowess has rendered it diplomatically impotent. Past time for a restart...

Were I to fear the sky I think I would hate those who made me fear it. Were I to lose loved ones to the terror from above I think I would want revenge. I would want to make those safe, anonymous people overseas feel the fear and loss I felt. I would want them to suffer like I suffered.

I think most would feel that way.

If the people of the country bombing me lived in a dictatorship I might not hold them accountable. I might blame their rulers. But if they lived in a 'democracy', where they chose the rulers, I'd assume the drones and bombs were an expression of their wishes.

I'd think they were responsible.

I wouldn't think they were innocent civilians, I'd assume they were complicit.

And if I had the opportunity to make the guilty pay I would.

And they'd call me a terrorist.

Because I hated those who killed my loved ones and acted on it.

So I won't be surprised when there's another terrorist attack here - because people are the same the world over.

BOMBING RAID! Same term used during WWII. Don't say the Orwellian, US approved "air strike."

Do you live in a Democracy?

What part of TPP is "Democratically" deployed?

What part of bailing out the big banks rather than reining their exploits in under law like that which was eviscerated (Glass-Steagall) suggests Democracy at work?

What part of the Obama "health care" plan, a/k/a bailout to Big Insurance companies did you "democratically" vote into existence?

There is also the vote count frauds; the gerrymandering of districts to set forth disproportionate influence to specific demographic groups. There's the control and capture of media and what it COSTS to mount an election campaign, and what those costs induce--in the way of a candidate becoming beholden to his or her donors--as a result.

The Page and Gilens study documents how few decisions made into law or policy reflect actual public sentiments.

Also, your paean to vengeance goes against what most religions teach. All masters convey the spiritual necessity for practicing forgiveness..

Thus in this one post you have asserted a Democratic rule that hardly exists, put the onus for an unchecked militarism and its kill numbers onto citizens, and pushed an agenda of revenge.

Nice work.

And since I noticed this same species of messaging on yesterday's Gosztola thread, I am going to reprint my response to your skillful use of disinformation there, as well:

You wrote: "Nobody wants to know how the sausage is made, we just want our tasty consumer goods on our plates. We don't want to know how many got ground up to get them to us."

(I responded): If i read your comment correctly, you are doing the Control State's work for it by deducing that people don't want to know.

If no one is interested in what's in the sausage, how come there are many vegetarians and those who wish to take photos to document what's done at meat slaughterhouses, and such?

The stance that insists that people do not want to know is a way of justifying the Paternalistic Control State taking it upon itself to determine precisely what citizens will be ALLOWED to know.

You are doing PR for that outcome... perhaps unwittingly (?)

And do not forget the most evil Orwellian term of the Fourth Reich; smart bombs!

A better world through bombing for the war profiteers! You can bomb the whole world into pieces; but you cannot and never will be able to bomb the whole world into peace!

Hey SR. On my comment yesterday, it was satirical, and the one today doesn't say we live in a Democracy, it presents the viewpoint of those living under the threat of drone strikes. That being said, I think you've responded to the attitude driving the comments. I do think there are many Americans who just want to get on with their lives. They aren't concerned with politics or foreign policy. There have always been people like that. Most don't know any better. Some have learned helplessness. They don't think they can change anything.

Those people agree with you. They don't think they live in a democracy. They don't think their vote means anything.

I disagree.

I think we, the citizens, are responsible for what is done in our name. We pay the taxes that buy the bombs. We elect the politicians who order the drone strikes.

If we aren't responsible, who is?

And if we have given up our power and allowed it to be subverted by those in charge, don't we have a responsibility to take it back?

I don't disagree that those in power use it to turn voting into a sham. They redistrict and try to limit who can vote and who we vote for.

But you put all the blame on them. For you we're all good Germans, not really responsible.

And by limiting our responsibility you remove our incentive to act.

So on this basic point we disagree.

We can change things. If we can, and don't, we are culpable.

But we have to work together to bring about change. We on the left spend a lot of time arguing about our differences. Perhaps it's time to start focusing on what we have in common.

We want a better world. That's a good place to start.

Do they reallY?

Forgiveness for an honest error, OK.
Forgiveness for intentional brutality, NO.

If you forgive intentional brutality, you encourage the bully, which is universally damned as bad practice.

Imagine a child being killed by a bomb that is intentional dropped by a bully, Sioux.

Its parents' first impulse is sorrow. If they are psychologically healthy, their next impulse is rage against the bully.

It takes a morbidly passive, mawkish, insincere, confused mentality to grant forgiveness in a situation such as this.

True, this kind of forgiveness has been preached by religions, along with other unsound practices, such as the burning of heretics at the stake.

As Marx told us, the practice of religion is a capitalist tool for use in population control.
And Joe Hill put it more colloquially:
Work and pray, live on hay
You'll get pie in the sky when you die.

Anyone who forgives, and does not feel rage at the bully in the situation above, is lying to himself and putting his mental health in jeopardy.

A symbolic photograph. A stationary B-52 supported by a tower of bombs. Milo Minderbender's company logo.

I really agree with the post of Ctl-z, that you replied to.

But as for your questions, OMG they are very good questions indeed. I especially liked "What part of TPP is "Democratically" deployed?". I guess there are a lot of good questions like this that one could ask.

I despair. People I know get their information from the media, and after that they simply dont care. If I have an opinion different from the media, then what is my opinion compared to to the opinion of the all powerful media. If the people were the victims of the war, then I am sure that they would care, but since it is their government, then people are not fed the truth, and were they fed it they would reject it because it contradicts their comfortable moral existence.

P.S. I am watching the Syrian war closely. Many on the left optimistically assumed that the Russians would have the last word in Syria. Regardless of the Russian motives, the left hoped that Russia would help Syria to avoid a Libya-like fate. In complete contradiction to the propaganda (in which the NATO presence is there to fight terrorism) the USA and NATO is arming ISIS and Al Nusra (Al Queda in Iraq/Syria) with anti aircraft weaponry (MANPADS), anti tank weapons etc and they have bringing in dogfighter aircraft. I can now see Russia will probably lose this war in Syria the way they lost in Afghanistan. ISIS and Al Nusra get to play the part of the Taleban, supplied with weaponry across Turkey's border, and the Syrian army gets to play the part of the Afghani government, being assisted by Russia, but too weak to hold out indefinitely. They may survive in the short term, but if one recalls that Iraq was softened up for a whole decade, we can see that the neocons are in for the long haul. The PNAC plan just rolls on backed with over half the worlds military spending. Perhaps Russia can save Iran from a Libya like fate, but I dont think that they can save Syria. The PNAC scoreboard is:- Afganistan, Iraq, Libya, Yemen, Syria, and eventually onto Iran.

If we can't change things we are culpable?

That is like saying that in the Israeli conflict, the Palestinians are just as responsible as those that use superior military (and economic) force to dominate them.

The current phase favors brute force. That's why I term if "Mars rules." Peaceful citizens have no recourse when they won't use force as it's against their mores and they are not skilled in it. Furthermore, the courts now are beholden to the military-corporate state, and that means no justice.

Your premise presupposes that matters had been just and fair and Democratic and it's merely for people to demand or protest or organize to return to that state.

My argument--although it is not one understood in these threads--is that the struggle for human rights is an ongoing struggle. Persons born into bondage are not responsible for that bondage. It is imposed.

Given the direction of brute force and the lopsided economic systems that operate without any respect to law and are about to stomp down their boot even harder through insidious measures like the TPP and TIPP, citizens are entirely left out of the loop.

MANY protests have been occurring, and a few politicians are emerging to speak up about climate change, fair wages, and Black lives... but the Power Calculus at present is in the hands of globalists who control the banks, the food corporations, the weapons, and so much else.

In other words, for the most part, we're all Palestinians now.

As I have repeatedly explained, life is not so simple as an either (you are responsible) or proposition.

Individuals are held to account, and thus responsible, at their relative levels of power, influence, assets, intelligence, etc.

This forum still has its requisite message shapers and since they outnumber me, on this point, they will always rally to the cause of blaming citizens/voters for what is done by Power no longer answerable to The People.

However, I do believe that a paradigm shift is inevitable.

Years ago I dated a construction worker who was tasked with building a stadium (and a mall) in Puerto Rico. He said that a genius created the blueprints and idiots had to build it... from those blueprints.

That is an apt analogy for the relationship between the Master and most followers.

Also, when an ideology becomes its own institution, then institutional protocols tend to replace the ideals of the actual ideology.

How many fundamentalist Christian churches today practice anything remotely akin to Jesus' teachings? They are like sports teams fighting over which "god' is superior.

You think we're powerless. I don't.

I also don't think our situation is comparable to that of the Palestinians.

Except in minority communities. There are some similarities there.