Home | About | Donate

'A Big Mistake': Bowman and Education Experts Blast Biden Administration for Mandating Standardized Tests Amid Pandemic

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/02/23/big-mistake-bowman-and-education-experts-blast-biden-administration-mandating

1 Like

So, no one has told Betsy DeVos that she is out of a job yet. I guess Dr. Jill doesn’t have any pull with her husband.

7 Likes

The mistake was not calling democrats out in the Primaries for fixing the outcome of the election, then the derelict ignoramus cattle voting for the fascist bastard in the first place. I think another 4 years of Trump would have been better than 4 years of Biden followed by another 4 years of Trump. I’m pretty sure after the next presidential election, when Trump wins, he’ll remain president till his death and then only be superseded by whomever he appoints.

6 Likes

The system is so rotten I am astonished it hasn’t collapsed yet.

7 Likes

Biden is exactly who the left said he was, exactly what his corruption and record showed. And giving him power at this pivotal time is nothing short of disastrous. Think of what could have been done if the right person won, the crises that could have actually been addressed, the mass of people that could have been helped. A coherent plan, message, a vision to organize towards. Instead, we have a right wing, corrupt dinosaur that wants to govern as if these are normal times and it is 1993.

9 Likes

Are you saying, meet the new boss? Same as the old boss? (With all due credit to Pete Townsend)
I heard that nothing will fundamentally change.

5 Likes

It’s great to see the fallacy of “testing” in print. Schools need to do much more to encourage thinking and searching for facts. Maybe there wouldn’t be the gross amount of ignorance in America then.
A former Special Education teacher.

7 Likes

And where were you “educated?”

1 Like

Plus I’m delighted to see that Mr. Bowman a first term congressman is speaking out against the regime

6 Likes

“It is urgent to understand the impact of Covid-19 on learning,”
Yes it is, darn it all. We have already lost one year of learning pre-K through high school here. Plus, the teachers demand they go to the front of the vaccine line before they enter the school buildings.

There was a batch of e-learning tests about November and one was three hours straight through for eighth grade. fatigue, stress and many questions had not yet been covered by teachers . AND - no text books for students to rely on.

Hats off to Dolton, Illinois school superintendent, Shelly A. Davis-Jones.
She acquired Ipads and home internet access for her grade school students who are 99% poor and 99% behind in math, reading and writing.

I have her as one of my education heroes along side Stacy Abrams for voting and Admiral King for war.

Let us actually measure how much we are now behind nation wide. Make it up?
Sure - go to six days per week. Full farmer breakfast to start the day for free. Lots of fresh fruit. Recess outside. Stronger curriculum. And if you pass along a promotion and the student gets to 9th grade without the skills to do the work - the district PAYS to get that student tutoring to catch up.

Special needs students are exempt.

2 Likes

Normally if something hasn’t worked for 40 years, and things are going badly, one might not prescribe more of the same. Senile Joe, however, thinks these ideas are fresh. It will be an interesting few years trying to figure out who his handler is. I couldn’t stand to watch much of his town hall, but what I saw was scary sad.

2 Likes

On Dec. 14, 2019, at MSNBC’s Public Education Forum 2020, Biden told teachers that he would end standardized testing. But since then, he has appointed Ian Rosenblum to his administration; Rosenblum is part of the industry promoting standardized testing, which is a very profitable industry.

There is only one campaign promise that Biden will keep: “nothing will fundamentally change.”

5 Likes

Jesus Joe, why not just bring Arnie Duncan back to finish the privatization of the US education system that he started 12 years ago?

2 Likes

We need a massive T-cubed* Program in this country–Trust The Teachers. Jamaal Bowman well knows the wastes involved with standardized teaching and its purposeful outsourcing of public funds into private hands. Listen to him and those who are and have been in the trenches.

*DC types lap this style of labeling up

2 Likes

Explaining the how and why is an excellent companion peice

~https://www.commondreams.org/views/2021/02/22/salvaging-public-schooling

I like a picture I saw of a protester with a sign stating

“Why should we go to school if you don’t even listen to the educated?”

For the fascists it’s win/win, create a cash cow while teaching the next generation to unthink.

4 Likes

I’m not sure that self regulation ever works; can the police police themselves? do we want the chemical companies to police themselves? how about airlines? Make no mistake , the education industry is a massive industry dedicated to making money Getting a degree in Education does not exempt one from moral failings, including greed. If it gets taxpayer money it needs taxpayer oversight and accountability, at a local level if possible.

1 Like

My Trust The Teachers concept is based upon hiring the best qualified teachers, paying them well, letting them develop their own lesson plans that work with the standardized objectives and their personal teaching styles and classroom environments, then getting out of their way for the most part. The standardized testing has been overdone and is used to line the pockets of privateers who care not a whit about learning. As a second generation public educator I am passionate to reinvigorate what got us to the moon and would like to make it better so as to see it help get us to Peace.

3 Likes

That would work, but would take at least a decade to change the culture. I applaud your dedication but I fear you are the exception rather than the rule. A comparison would be to simply hire police who are passionate about real justice and the defense of the law to take over the law enforcement system in the nation with minimal oversight. Remember that power corrupts and checks and balances are needed.

The obsession with standardized testing drove my grandkids out of the public schools. That obsession derives from a rightist critique of public education that makes the purpose of schools to create participants in the capitalist system and requires accountability by regular testing of all students, no matter what their interests or abilities. Gone are all other purposes of schooling: fostering a love of learning, empowering students to be good citizens, or developing a sensitivity and openness to other cultures.
Establishment Democrats and Republicans embraced standardized testing beginning with GWB, and continuing through Obama and Trump.
As a former educator, I would urge parents to demand changes in public education, and–failing that–to look for other alternatives.

6 Likes

Time for Jill Biden to weigh in and say, “No, Joe, I’m surprised you didn’t know this already. Standardized tests are the end of the world, you dope.”

2 Likes