Home | About | Donate

A Bipartisan Vote to Put the Brakes on War

A Bipartisan Vote to Put the Brakes on War

Peter Certo

One of the few things I recall fondly about the Trump campaign — a short list, I’ll admit — was the candidate’s apparent glee in ridiculing the war-mongering of his rivals and predecessors.

In early 2016, Trump (correctly) summed up George W. Bush’s legacy this way: “We’ve been in the Middle East for 15 years, and we haven’t won anything.”

Barbara Lee for President in 2020 (or amend the Constitution to allow special election and make it sooner).

Peace.
ths.

I am glad they've voted to end the AUMF, but Trump acts as if no laws apply to him. I think he will continue doing so. We need to do something else.

I'm listening to Trump speaking to Poland this AM. He oddly sounds as if he's setting them up for war. What's he doing?

Annie, I believe the entire world would like to know what he's doing.

It's quite possible even he doesn't know what he's doing until he's done it.

PonyBoy,

He DOES sound as though he's winging it much of the time. His language is not terribly thought-out or considered. He searches for words and uses whatever comes to mind, no matter how awkward.

Annie, Trump's a spoiled man-child with a lot of money. And thanks to the corrupt system of government that exists in this country, now, he has a great deal of power.

Say your prayers that the end comes early for 'one', before the 'many' must suffer.

What, and give up 300 billion in arms sales to the Saudi 9/11 perps? The business of America is War.

"Let me say finally that I oppose our wars in Vietnam (the Middle East) because I love America. I speak out against this (theses)war, not in anger, but with anxiety and sorrow in my heart, and, above all, with a passionate desire to see our beloved country stand as the moral example of the world. I speak out against this (these) war because I am disappointed with America. And there can be no great disappointment where there is not great love. I am disappointed with our failure to deal positively and forthrightly with the triple evils of racism, economic exploitation, and militarism. We are presently moving down a dead-end road that can lead to national disaster. America has strayed to the far country of racism and militarism. The home that all too many Americans left was solidly structured idealistically; its pillars were solidly grounded in the insights of our Judeo-Christian heritage. All men are made in the image of God. All men are brothers. All men are created equal. Every man is an heir to a legacy of dignity and worth. Every man has rights that are neither conferred by, nor derived from the State--they are God-given. Out of one blood, God made all men to dwell upon the face of the earth. What a marvelous foundation for any home! What a glorious and healthy place to inhabit. But America's strayed away, and this unnatural excursion has brought only confusion and bewilderment. It has left hearts aching with guilt and minds distorted with irrationality."
MLK

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.
'Dwight D. Eisenhower, From a speech before the American Society of Newspaper Editors, April 16, 1953