Home | About | Donate

A Call to Action as World is Rapidly Depleting Essential Groundwater

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”
― Upton Sinclair,

4 Likes

Groundwater diminishing, climate change, runaway imperial ambitions and corresponding arms races, poisoning of the environment, mass extinction, population control…it really doesn’t matter what your concern is, without reigning in the fascist oligarchy and getting a truly representative democracy established, not a centimeter of progress will ever be made on any of these,… or any other front. Until that day, all actions should revolve around this singular one. I’m not talking about a impeachment, or one of the party’s winning an election here. Every single right wing politician needs to be eliminated permanently from government, without question, and every one of their sponsors permanently and irrevocably neutralized. Then we can just begin. This is what the infancy of a human survival movement requires before it can even begin to make headway against the impossible odds the right wing has left us to struggle against. If that seems too difficult, too rash, too unreasonable, then there is not a chance of success at all, and the extinction will inevitably occur in short order, and there is no community, no civility, no brotherhood, no hope, and its every man woman and child for themselves.

5 Likes

Well educated can also mean, how to cash in? How to use the kleptocracy & media to steal, divert or poison water for profit?

2 Likes

Whatever the other one is, I choose the “public resource” designation.

2 Likes

Most groundwater is not “sustainable” in human timespans. Groundwater, for the most part, is the mining of prehistoric water.

2 Likes

Groundwater depletion, that’s another one. Add wealth inequality, homelessness & billionaires, dictatorial ascent & shredded equal protection, border concentration camps, the descending hammerlock of universal surveillance, despair & suicides among military vets & young folks generally, regularly scheduled weather disasters scouring whole towns, microplastics suffusing everything – including your body and mine, the icecap’s death throes…

All told, the world and my country are unquestionably in the worst shape I’ve ever seen, and I am no youngster. But here’s the thing: Wall Street fricking loves it, goes deliriously apeshit partying like there’s no tomorrow. Record highs every day! There’s your unsubtle clue that the people with money are necrophiliacs. People like that, allowed any influence, drag the whole culture toward death. And here we are sweltering under near-total domination – by necrophiliacs.

All we need is one more right-wing coup with continued ecosystem incineration, and the Dow could get to 30,000. They can deploy their profits to set up a carbon-offset market exchange, just for grins.

3 Likes

Unless you are talking about snow pack recharged groundwater, which most of the biggest aquifers are not, most groundwater is not at all a renewable resource on the human timescale. Do you really think the Ogallala is a renewable resource? I’m sure you don’t.

3 Likes

Yeah, the recharge is very slow. Some of the water that comes from aquifers is millions of years old. I’m referring mostly to alluvial basins (515) in CA. New Mexico (artesian aquifer) is another area that has been overused for more than a hundred years. What is happening in CA is subduction that compacts the layers of aquifers and stops or limits that recharge process making it non-renewable.

“Answer and Explanation: We could consider groundwater as a renewable or non renewable resource depending on the rate at which we let groundwater replenish it’s reserves.”

The Ogallala yeah, that would change things we would have to consider in geologic time.

1 Like

Good thing Israeli Company Watergen has been created.

The Saudis purchased, I can’t remember how many, acres in La Paz County, AZ … pumping groundwater, growing alfalfa, sending it “back home” … deal was made using the Rose’s, a ”power couple” in Phoenix, both attorneys … it’s touted because it employs about 720 people … 720 jobs against depleting groundwater … that’s insane …Legally, it’s supposed to be in order, morally, ethically, a disgrace for a state that is struggling with solutions for water use and conservation. It’s getting harder and harder to maneuver thru this life.

… not sure this link will work …but can google …

5 Likes

For example, the Ogallala aquifer that supplies much of the agricultural & domestic water in Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and northern Texas – and which consists mostly of run-off from the Rocky Mountains that occurred roughly ten million years ago – is currently being used at a much faster rate than it is being replenished by annual precipitation.  Its upper surface was dropping at an annual rate of 2.7 feet during the 1980s and '90’s, and is probably falling even faster at the present time.
(See http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/Oc-Po/Ogallala-Aquifer.html for further information.)

3 Likes

I think what you mean is sustainable, (it is renewable)

" The Ogallala is an unconfined aquifer , and virtually all recharge comes from rainwater and snowmelt. As the High Plains has a semiarid climate, recharge is minimal. … Groundwater does flow through the High Plains Aquifer , but at an average rate of only 300 millimeters (12 inches) per day."

1 Like

That’s okay. As the debauched Donald Pleasance character says in the classic Australian film, Wake in Fright, water is only for washing.

1 Like

This is just another example as to what a terrible system Capitalism is and how harmful it is to surrender “the means of production” to a small group called the investor class.

A water supply is owned “in Common” by a given nation state. Under Capitalism in order to “create jobs and wealth” that water supply is turned into a commodity so as to give it “value”. In order to exploit that resource a pool of Capital needed from the investor class so rights to harvest that water is generally surrendered to them.

These Corporations exploit the water supply. The more they use and or contaminate the higher the value of the clean water that remains. As clean water grows scarcer the price of it on the market goes up. As the easiest and most readily available sources consumed the more marginal are exploited. This also drives up the price. As that price driven up more the Investor class generates more in the way of profits. The Investor class and the 1 percent will ALWAYS be wealthy enough to obtain fresh clean water even as the poor become unable to afford it.

This is not “ingenuity”. This is not “working hard to better oneself”. This is not being an “entrepreneur.” This is just working the system to STEAL from the commons to transfer to the 1 percent.

The Bush Clan made a fortune in Big Oil. Those Oil firms they owned used millions of gallons of fresh water and or contaminated millions more with industrial processes. The profits they earned allowed them to buy up fresh water reservoirs in South America. How people can not see anything wrong with that is beyond me.

4 Likes

Read the rest of the article.  The rate of replenishment is WAY less than the rate of extraction, hence the level of this YUGE body of underground water was DROPPING at nearly three feet per year in the 1980s & '90s, and – with higher population and increased agriculture above it, is undoubtedly dropping even faster today.  As Big Ag drills deeper and deeper wells needed to access this water, small farmers (and small towns?) can’t afford to keep up, so Big Ag keeps taking over more & more small farms, drill­ing deeper and deeper wells, and using what’s left of the rapidly shrinking Ogallala Aquifer at a faster and faster rate.

3 Likes

Yes thank you I know. Under these circumstances it is not sustainable. Unlike some that no longer function as an aquifer, it is still functional and renewable (a living water source) How it is used is not.

1 Like

Shame on nature for interfering with capitalism and endless growth !! /s

6 Likes

Exactly! Just keep on a fracking!
Then there is the issue of melting glaciers, disappearing, water to half the world’s population.
We become Dune.
The black hole of humanity keeps sucking the air out of our lungs and the water out of our guts and destroying the life of our planet.

1 Like

From Pope Francis:

“Many have testified to us that it is possible to look at reality in a different way, accepting it with open arms as a gift, treating the created world not as a resource to be exploited but as a home to be preserved.”

Pachamama and the Pope

2 Likes

At this stage of the situation population control is a moot point . .

1 Like