Home | About | Donate

'A Call to End Slavery': Nationwide Prison Strike Kicks Off

'A Call to End Slavery': Nationwide Prison Strike Kicks Off

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Prisoners across the United States are launching a massive strike on Friday, on the 45th anniversary of the Attica prison uprising, to protest what they call modern-day slavery.

I hope the strikes will have impact. That we allow corporations to benefit from prison labor is reprehensible, particularly as it provides even more profit incentives for throwing people in jail. It also takes jobs from an already underemployed labor market. Ending institutionalized slavery should be a very high priority in this 'land of the free'.

Talk about strikes:

http://www.alternet.org/world/india-worlds-largest-strike

We've got your back. Be strong.

The whole damn country is becoming politicized.
Just like Marx predicted it would.

It is astonishing to realize that slavery IS LEGAL in the United States, inasmuch as the 13th Amendment specifically excludes prisoners!
http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/gilmoreprisonslavery.html

If only there were a presidential candidate who cared about this... if only... wait, is it Leonardo DiCaprio who will be on the ballot in 48 states? No, it's JILL STEIN AGAIN!!!!!

If you haven't yet seen Michael Moore's latest documentary, "Where to invade Next," you must absolutely go to your local library [I borrowed a copy free from the Richland County Public Library in my town] or mebbe get from Netflix? One powerful segment-and each segment was magnificent-had Michael in Norway. That enlightened country focuses on HUMAN DIGNITY in its prisons. Prisoners & their guards used that phrases repeatedly. The guards are there to assist prisoners in transforming their lives to re-enter society as fully empowered and acting citizens. Instead, in the "exceptional" US, those in captivity are treated so inhumanely that I cannot find a strong enough word. That is why these folks are rising up. I stand with them in their quest for HUMAN DIGNITY. You absolutely must see Moore's movie; you will be so glad you did. PS In the segment on Portugal, the people in law enforcement also used the same phrase, HUMAN DIGNITY, when they spoke of their enlightened drug laws. SEE THIS MOVIE.

Furthermore, the segments on Germany and other countries showed their UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE --I am in complete envy. I'm thinking of Donna Smith's very recent piece either here or on Reader Supported News where she details her losing battles with the US's for profit NOT HEALTHCARE

Oops-continuting my rant on Moore's documentary--his segments on Germany and Italy focussed on their shorter workdays and their lengthy vacations. Those countries, as all of those featured in "Where to Invade Next" focussed on QUALITY OF LIFE. In France, he showed the healthful balanced gourmet-quality meals served in schools every day, instead of the slop our kids get; in Slovenia, he focussed on FREE UNIVERSITY EDUCATION; in Tunisia and Iceland, the empowerment and ABSOLUTE EQUAL BEFORE THE LAW the treatment of their WOMEN.
In the US we are treated as commodities who are discarded when we can no longer work or are ill. In short, over much of the civilized world people HAVE A MUCH BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE THAN in this godforsaken country.

Where does workfare labor fit in, as well as often-exploitive "disability workshops?" If one wishes to consider "justice," how would this apply to America's poor? The US shut down/shipped out a massive number of jobs since the 1980s, ended actual welfare in the 1990s (TANF is a short-term job program, only for those with children). Not everyone can work (health, etc.), and there aren't jobs for all. The last I heard, there are 7 jobs for every 10 jobless people who still have the means to pursue one (home address, phone, etc.). What is "justice" for those who have been pushed out?

How would any notions of "human dignity" apply to our homeless? Think a minute: The UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights (which, supposedly, the US ratified) states that all people -- even the jobless poor -- have basic human rights to food and shelter. This generation (of Americans) disagrees, and we ended basic poverty relief. Dignity? We don't even believe that our poor are humans, qualified for basic human rights protections.

You are so right. The thing that we are "exceptional" in, it seems to me, is our worship of the almighty dollar. When Michael Moore interviews Italian big business owners, they all emphasized that they wanted their workers to have as much vacation time and joy in their lives as possible. Imagine that! I rejoice that a nationwide prison strike has been called for.
Who knows? Mebbe we have reached a "tipping point" not only in our climate-too horrible to say-but a TP in our tolerance for the injustices we foist on our fellow citizens and fellow human beings with our stinginess @ home & our constant drone warfare and military bases and selling weaponry abroad. It is long past time to bury the patriarchal frame of mind. In "Where to invade Next" Moore features the balanced societies of Tunisia and Iceland, both of which have embraced totally the empowerment and mindset of their women. When the values of good women are embraced, the men in their societies benefit as well. I don't mean twisted bitches like Phyllis Schafly or warmongering hawks like Shillery, who never met a war or weapons system she couldn't lust for/pine after/promote; I mean strong beautiful women who don't want to dominate; they want full equality and sharing.

I think individualism emerges from our self interest, As does selfishness. They are cousins, not one the derivative of another. And I think it serves us well to be self interested individuals.

Selfishness seems to be a condition absent the awareness of collective interest.

No reason to rip on individualism, just bolster your collective consciousness is all.

HEY GUYS, I hear that if we elect Hillary Clinton president she will reform the prison system for us, easy-peasy. She already knows how the system works cause she and her husband championed the 1994 Crime Bill, which was a resounding success. Plus she knows the people in the prison industry. As you can imagine, having an existing relationship helps to get things done, and Hillary has received $133,246 in donation from private prisons. I know who I'm voting for this November.

Who else is going to vote for Hillary?
Reply and tell us something about your self?

I'll go first...
Hi I'm Reginald, I'm a registered sex offender, and I'm voting for Hillary because of the children, those sweet little kiddies. ohh yeah!! Vote for Hillary!