Home | About | Donate

'A Catastrophe': Postal Workers Warn Trump Sabotage of USPS Could Delay Mail-In Ballots and Distort Election

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/31/catastrophe-postal-workers-warn-trump-sabotage-usps-could-delay-mail-ballots-and

3 Likes

Trump floated the possibility of the delaying the November election, claiming without evidence that the surge in mail-in ballots will cause “the most inaccurate and fraudulent election in history.”

Trump is correct, Trump is rigging the election and if he has his way…IT WILL BE THE MOST INACCURATE AND FRAUDULENT IN HISTORY"!

7 Likes

Does Nancy have a side clap for this? Oh no wait, she was busy ramming through DHS and DoD funding instead of taking care of the USPS because her priority in life is getting rid of Trump so she makes sure she gives him everything he wants. Or is it more like everything both want and are too shy to admit? Pelosi and Trump truly are two peas in a pod. A match made in oligarch heaven. The billionaires could not have asked for better people to carry their water.

7 Likes

Oregon and Washington Secretaries of State’s (both Republicans) analysis concluding that the incidence of mail-in voter fraud is .00001% which is not only negligible but a much lower incidence rate than poll voting. Those states have had mail-in for more than a decade. Despite this, polls indicate that faux noise viewers and Trump cult members (is there a difference ?) all respond that mail-in is fraught with fraud. Compare that with GOP voter suppression during the past century negatively impacting 20-30% of voters in some areas.

My employer sends a lot of mail from the Pacific Northwest to the midwest and during the past month has experienced delivery times that were typically 2 to 3 days for the past 30 years, now taking 2 to 3 weeks to Michigan, Wisconsin and other swing states.

6 Likes

drumpf and the most dangerous organization in the world republicans just can’t stand to see a government entity like the USPS performing its function more efficiently and for less than their for private profit corporate enablers. This sabotaging of the USPS should be treated as a crime to not only undermine the elections, but to destroy one of the true gems born out of this “democracy.”

3 Likes

HERE’S ONE MORE POST WHERE I GET A NOTICE CD DOESN’T THINK
IT CAN BE UNDERSTOOD …

First Trump warned of the problem and then he created it.

1 Like

DeJoy was put in that position specifically for this reason ~ to totally screw-up U.S. voting by mail!
It’s Trump people’s only way (in time) to develop a way to cheat with mail-in voting.
Since when do we have a person who’s never even worked for Post Office be in charge of entire USPS?!?
Sabotage the election. THAT is the real job DeJoy was given!

3 Likes

Hi raydeIcamino:
Since the votes come from the states—aren’t they returned to the states to be counted? There could be peopIe verifying the counts. The votes don’t have to be mailed out of the state. Besides when the HiIIary defrauded Bernie, wasn’t that in the states, or when Scott WaIkers assistant said she put aII the votes on her own computer—and I wonder how many votes she lost so that Scott Waker could win?
Iots of peopIe could volunteer to verify counts, And of course, they would a need a giant room and a Iot of mask wearing volunteers… The elector’s who traded Bernies votes into votes for HiIIary shouId NOT be a part of this processI : )
I am more worried about who the VP wiII as Biden is a hawk and I’m sure he wiII pick Rice another one fond of war. Remember Joe might not Iast Long------so think carefulIy of the VP. : (

2 Likes

The biggest problem I have with mail in ballots is that at least in my state (Florida) they often get thrown away and not counted on technicalities. And if needed, recounts of on-site voting get drawn out for weeks or months and never actually completed fully.

I even have trouble voting in person. Took 8 tries at getting my signature correct to get my ballot from the worker, and it wasn’t until I had them call a higher official over and I explained that signing on a tablet with my finger, when the tablet was at a 45 degree angle at waist level could never give me the same signature that I had done 10 years earlier on a large piece of paper on a counter at the proper level. Not to mention at my age the 10 letter last name I sign NEVER looks the same twice… No, I will vote in person and take the risk. At least then I know my ballot makes it into the box even if I have to fight my way past the poll worker with a bias.

3 Likes

Hi Seeker:
I hope there are NO MORE pregnant chads in the final decision… thanks to the inane Supreme Court. What was the rush in decision anyway, they had 3 months to verify.
But then, Florida is a Iand unto itself. : )

1 Like

Hi raydeIcamino:
I voted for the first time in Oregon with my maiI in baIIot. Oregon has drop off boxes for returning baIIots which are different than postaI boxes—so that can make a big different to in pick -up time too. : )

1 Like

Following Oregon’s lead, Washington State also installed dedicated secure drop boxes outside of each County Courthouse and at each town within each county.

2 Likes

That’s what I just recommended to friend, drop their ballot at their precinct Dropbox. Everyone should read the Washington Post deep dive on what’s happening to the USPS. The article references clear cases in primaries, already, where ballots never came or arrived too late for voters to submit them.

If any folks here are going to mail their ballots, do it as early as possible. Don’t wait.

1 Like

“Postal Workers Warn Trump Sabotage of USPS Could Delay Mail-In Ballots and Distort Election”

I’m sure that will take care of everything.

1 Like

No DONT mail in your mail in ballot . It’s possible to beat Trump at his own game . If and when you get your mail in ballot immediately fill it out and drop it off in the ballot box at the county auditors office . Video yourself dropping it in the box and show your name and number that is on the ballot before you put it in the envelope and drop it in the box .
If the mail is sabotaged and you never receive a mail in ballot , you can still legally vote at a polling station.

2 Likes

no problem , see my post previous post .

A good process to follow… but…

“you can still legally vote at a polling station”

only at the risk of one’s life, especially in minority-dominated districts where Republicans have removed most of the stations, progress will be slowed by removal of many voters’ names (leading to double and triple checks, arguments and provisional ballots) and lines will be even worse than in the last few elections. People may wait all day; with safe distancing it may take up square miles of some cities.

“If voting changed anything they’d make it illegal–or impossible.” Emma Goldman?

if the mail is really being slowed and sabotaged, how about a national movement where millions don’t pay their utility bills, mortgages, car payments etc and tell the creditors its lost in the chaos of the USPS. We can be sure the affected companies will insist the post office recovers

2 Likes

Republicans just keep “accomplishing their missions,” likely with some help from Democrats.
For example, the bi-partisan passage of H.R. 6407 in 2006, which required the USPS to fund the retirement accounts of its employees seventy-five years in advance. In a very rare instance, the bill was introduced and passed within the same month. That more than anything else (e.g., COVID) is why the USPS is struggling. It was purposely debt-laden.

2 Likes

Folks, it is so bad that it now takes a WEEK before your packages ever leave the initial processing facility. The facility I work in is stacked to the ceiling as of it were Christmas. But it’s not, it’s the SLOW season.