Home | About | Donate

A Celebration of Killing and Dying

A Celebration of Killing and Dying

Camillo Mac Bica

November 10th is the 242nd birthday of the United State Marine Corps. It is a time of celebration during which current and former Marines acknowledge the storied history and glorious traditions of the branch of the military in which they so proudly served. I, however, am torn.

Why, exactly, do people habitually and thoughtlessly thank members of the US military forces who have killed 500,000 people since 9/11 for their service when none of the countries or people they attack had anything to do with the terrorist attack on the US? Why don’t they thank firefighters, nurses, teachers and social workers for their humanitarian, nonviolent service to our country?

This is a true and powerful piece that burns from the inside out. It tells exactly what it means to be a cog in the killing machine that the U.S. imperial military is. No beating around the bush here.

National Defense, and the Marine Corps. are a necessary element in the life of our nation.

However, the armed forces of the United States are not only defending the United States, they are defending a multitude of countries all over the globe, because of the multinational corporations and their needs of security.

The use of our armed forces to kill, and aid other nations in the killing of their enemies is evil.

Why indeed do they not? Maybe the “service” of which they speak is that which protects the
1 percent’s access to other people’s resources.

There was a time frame where veterans began getting thanked for their Vietnam service along with Iraq war veterans and around the same time 9-11 and Iraqi Freedom conflicts arose, and from then on all veterans were heroes all day every day whether or not whether they wanted to be. And it’s that way today.
I didn’t hear a “Thank you for your service” for over forty years and now I hear it just about every time someone engages me as a vet.

Who does the numbers? What is there, like 10% of the population that are news and political junkies?
Part of the reason there is no uprising is that there is no awareness. Surfers, full time workers, the infirmed, the elderly, and those that don’t give two hoots. Nothing will change until there is more awareness.

The real heroes are the people that regret having to serve in wars. I like the people that destroyed their medals when protesting the NATO Summit in Chicago.

It is deep in cultures to celebrate, salute, admire the military. Military songs, the jauntiest iny elementary song book, lovely melodies that I only stopped singing as I began to understand what war was. My father was one of the few men I knew who did not serve. He got out, not on bone spurs, but on high arches, though he almost got called many times. He was a reader of history and taught me that no war is necessary.