Home | About | Donate

A Colonialist Land Grab Is Happening Right Now in Congo

A Colonialist Land Grab Is Happening Right Now in Congo

Fiore Longo

It was cold when I arrived in Brussels, yet in the sumptuous atrium of the Royal Museum for Central Africa, it didn’t feel cold at all. This lavish building was formerly known as the Palace of the Colonies, and in the late 1800s it served as a paean to the Belgian “civilizing mission” in the Congo.

1 Like

Thanks, Fiore. The world over, most people don’t even know where African countries are, let alone any other details about them. A huuuge blackout is part of why the neglect occurs. Although—more press could also bring more trouble:( . Could you please get publishers to allow you to include a map?

4 Likes

This piece was very enlightening and many thanks to the author. Actually Ike a meteorite dropping down next to me… I had no idea what an org I thought was doing good like the WWF could be actually doing devastating harm… time for a big rethink and some serious study. I hope the author will be featured here often with more information on this. Thanks CD.

2 Likes

Is there a single American “none profit” or charity that is not just a front for something horrific?
To think i actually supported wwf back in the day.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! You are not the only one who wasn’t aware of this. A lot of people in the world with good intentions think that conservation is done in the right way. Unfortunately, it’s not like that! and it is harming nature and tribal peoples! Our work is aimed at giving voice to the ones who are never heard. If you want to help us to do that, please join the movement!. You can also share our articles and news about this with your friends. Follow us on social media. And you can also follow me on twitter: @LongoFiore. Thank you again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Helen! I agree about the press, but in this case the terrible injustice and land theft that Baka are facing would be invisible without the press. We need to show to the world what is happening and who is accountable for this. It’s the only way to stop western countries and WWF from funding human rights abuses. I don’t know if you saw an amazing channel 4 documentary broadcasted recently about Messok Dja, the new protected area I talked about in the article. I can’t add links here but in case you want the link DM me in Twitter: @LongoFiore. Thank you!

My son did some work in Southeast Asia. The feeling there is that NGOs generally are run by well-meaning foreigners who haven’t a clue. The locals say it would be better if the foreign associations could just turn over the money to them.