Home | About | Donate

A Company Announces Its Intent to Create World’s Newest Privacy Nightmare

A Company Announces Its Intent to Create World’s Newest Privacy Nightmare

Jay Stanley
A company called EarthNow has announced an ambitious effort to create a service that will provide a live satellite video feed of any spot on earth. As reported on Friday by Mic, the service amounts to a live, real-time version of Google Earth (though Google is not involved). It’s not clear how realistic this is, but the concept is a scary one for privacy.

What kind of nut thinks this shit up ? Why does the younger generation not value privacy ?
I think if this comes on line, I’ll stop wearing clothes in my backyard (it’s fenced, so my poor neighbors would be protected), that should stop anyone from spying on me from space.

Watch the series “Person of interest.” Sort of prescient.

You don’t own your life any more, you’re just renting it…

You can blind optical sensors with LEDs. You don’t need a lot of power, just a little bit of light can look like a lot to a CCD sensor. Decorating your clothing with LEDs aimed toward the sky or driving around with an LED array should be enough to reduce effective Big Brother surveillance of concerned citizens, or citizens concerned with privacy rights.

Big Brother’s eyes widen

Will it surveil all politicians, oligarchs, theocrats, spooks and other “leaders” also? Will we all be able to see what they are doing too?

If so, it may not be so bad.

Direct Democracy

Chilling, to say the least! We will either control technology, or it will control us!

‘As a society, we should make a conscious choice not to go there. We should not let technological capability dictate what we actually deploy, just as we have made a conscious choice (through our wiretapping laws) to generally disallow surveillance cameras in public places from including microphones. It is true that blanket aerial surveillance could be implemented by other governments or by companies operating out of other countries, and that is a problem that we may have to confront. But we can start by deciding for ourselves a national goal to avoid such surveillance.’

We have to be strong. We have to be angry.

Unless this is accessible to every nation (for a hefty price), once it is in orbit there are any number of countries that are likely to shoot this sucker out of the sky.

In that event, I can only wish them “good hunting”. May their aim be true!

"…the surveillance wouldn’t be secret, and everybody would quickly come to learn how exposed they are so they could adjust their behavior…"

*"The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it, moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live — did live, from habit that became instinct — in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized.
*Winston kept his back turned to the telescreen. It was safer; though, as he well knew, even a back can be revealing." [1984 Chap. 1, George Orwell]
*Enough said?
;-})

1984 creeps ever nearer! The only thing Orwell misjudged was the specific decade! It is now upon us.

Well, we’d definitely be able to count the days rump plays golf instead of being at the white house!

What we are currently living under is already far beyond Orwell’s worst fears.

Once “they” managed to convince an entire generation that the basis of freedom was not privacy, but property, the rest kinda fell into place on its own.