Home | About | Donate

"A Coup Is Not a Democratic Transition!" US Peace Activist Interrupts Pompeo Speech on Venezuela

"A Coup Is Not a Democratic Transition!" US Peace Activist Interrupts Pompeo Speech on Venezuela

Jon Queally, staff writer

U.S. peace activist Medea Benjamin, co-founder of CodePink, called on her government to end its meddling in the affairs in Venezuela on Thursday—and called on other nations in the region to respect Venezuela's sovereignty—as she interrupted remarks by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo during a meeting of the Organization for American States (OAS) in Washington, DC.

"Don't support the coup!" Benjamin declared, holding up a sign at the end of the council room. "A coup is not a democratic transition! Do not listen to Secretary Pompeo!"

4 Likes

Add Venezuela to the late William Blum’s Master List of governments overthrown by the United States since 1945:

Overthrowing other people’s governments: The Master List – William Blum
https://williamblum.org/essays/read/overthrowing-other-peoples-governments-the-master-list

2 Likes

As if Trump, Pompeo and all the other Republican goons would know democracy if it bit them in the ass. Playing the democracy card in regards to other countries is more Beltway hogwash for justifying yet another war. It’s page taken right from the Bush, Cheney playbook for invading Iraq. All we need now are those evil Venezuelan weapons of mass destruction. While we’re at it, how about bombing them for humanitarian reasons?

6 Likes

Pompeo behaves like a Mafia boss. He looks like one, too.The friend to dictators everywhere.

2 Likes

Good for Madea. She has more courage in her code-pinkie than Pompeo has in his entire pompous body.

10 Likes

Worth the time:

1 Like

Trump sees a ‘morally bankrupt’ and ‘undemocratic to the core’ president and government because it mirrors his own.

1 Like

Pompeo, like Pence, is a dominionist. With Gawd on his side he can wreak havoc throughout the world for his holey (intentional spelling) cause. Gawd’s kingdom is not democratic, as only those anointed with Gawd splooge have any say. Sort of icky don’t you think?

3 Likes

Medea is amazing. It’s frightening she has to do this basic work by herself.

3 Likes

How about nominations for a “Peace Prize?”

2 Likes

yes! i saw this when it ran. impressive, an adjective i can’t use about any politico in the US.

0 Likes

HI GANDOLF, I read that someone on the Peace Prize committee wished she could take that wasted Obama Peace Prize back. I wish they would-----and give it to Medea. : )

1 Like

Queally sez:
“Medea Benjamin … interrupted remarks by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo during a meeting of the Organization for American States (OAS) in Washington, DC.”

What was Pompeous doing at this meeting? I had been led to believe he and Bolton were marching on Tehran.

0 Likes

Who says so? Too bad some country does not say the same thing about Amerika’s regime! The problem with Maduro is he may be a thug…but he is not Pompeo’s thug!

0 Likes