Home | About | Donate

'A Crisis for Democracy': Senate Votes Against Hearing From Witnesses

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/01/31/crisis-democracy-senate-votes-against-hearing-witnesses

I am trying to come up with a word to describe all of this. I may have to invent one. Let’s see. Putrid? Not strong enough. Disgusting? Yes, but not all of it. Idiotic. Yes, but too many things fall in that category. Dishonest. Yes, but too mild. What about just the word, “American” ? Unfair. Too many Americans are angry at this farce. That’s it. Farce. Deadly farce. A congregation of fools on a devil’s errand. And why deadly? I’ll let you figure that out- if you can.

7 Likes

RIP Democracy
1776 - 2020

6 Likes

It is finally time to change the american flag from red, white, and blue to BLACK!

3 Likes

and flown upside down

6 Likes

How many minutes until we see Cheeto Benito’s “complete exoneration” tweet?

2 Likes

Now will people quit holding up the constitution as some revered document and admit that it was written by rich, slave-holding, white dudes in support of rich, slave-holding, white dudes, and is in need of a major re-write? We’re using an owner’s manual written for maintaining a political and economic system created before there were steam engines and electricity. Black men were 3/5th of a person, women weren’t people at all, and 250 years later most are still treated that way. Every check-n-balance has failed. If the republic is to be saved, it is time to use the one thing in the constitution never used before, a constitutional convention.

8 Likes

Well the “doomsday” clock is at 100 seconds to midnight!!!

3 Likes

This is rich mans justice------republicans with the help of the Supreme Court stole the election in 2000----then there was 9/11-----Now republicans have totally compromised the justice system in this country placing Trump above the law----what can go wrong???

6 Likes

A Democracy is when the masses make the decisions, chooses the political candidate unencumbered by gerrymandering and voter purges, creates a fair society and equal justice …

The ‘Founders’ created a Republic not a Democracy, wherein they (the landed gentry) would make the rules, decide the candidates and who could vote. In the elections of Presidents and Vice Presidents, if they did not like the outcome, they would install their choice (electoral college). Not much has changed. Don’t expect Democracy to break out with the advent of witnesses in one of America’s corrupt institutions.

5 Likes

It’s been in a brain-dead coma since 1981 and the election of Raygun, this is simply pulling the plug. Now we can watch the USA corpse rot with the smell and disease wafting around the world.

9 Likes

Well, at least Amerika lasted longer than Hitler’s “Thousand Year Reich” . . .

Thanks to our flag-wrapped, bible-thumping friends in the 'Pooplickin party, it turns out that was a mighty big “IF”.

Hopefully the half-dozen or so decent members of the House and half-dozen or so decent members of the Senate will skip Tweetle-Dumb’s State of the Union ADDRESS at the capitol in Washington, D.C., and be far enough away so as not to be obliterated when a small submarine from North Korea sails up the Potomac River to detonate a nuclear weapon to effect the cleansing of our national cesspool when the vast majority of turds thereof are all gathered in one location.

Well, at least one can still dream . . .

3 Likes

The powerful breathed a sigh of relief. They were worried for awhile that Trump went too far too often. They were worried that a blatantly rigged trial would not be tolerated by the citizens of this country. They worried that the forces of fascism which had been doing so well and making great advances would suffer a setback and be forced to retreat. They were worried that the forces of corporate fascism would lose to the forces of democracy even though Pelosi reluctantly agreed to proceed but succeeded in limiting the trial to only two articles and Mitch made the mistake of admitting that he was not going to make it a fair trial from the start. They were worried about Bolton whom they liked no less. They were worried…

…now they are not.

7 Likes

Deleted comment. To hell with it all.

7 Likes

That is basically what Morris Berman has been saying for years. I didn’t want to believe him but yes, it’s true.

4 Likes

This is all because the House decided to rush things. They could have subpoenaed Bolton and others during their investigation. That would have resulted in a legal battle over executive privilege, but might have been resolved in their favor. As it happened, they presented tissue thin arguments to a skeptical Senate, demanding they subpoena the fery witnesses they chose not to. The Hoyse us supposed to present an ironclad argument to the Senate, and Pelosi failed.

1 Like

P’Loser Punted is more like it — just like she and O’Bummer punted when it came to prosecuting the War Criminals in 2009 (WAY too many to name here, but including Dick Cheney, Lisa Haspel, the Lying Son-of-a-Bush, Eric Prince and John Yoo, along with several others) and the thieving Banksters in 2010 (Steve Mnuchin, for one).  Nationwide disgust with their failure of leadership is what led to the takeover of Congress by the 'PoopLickens in 2011 and to the deepening distrust in ‘our’ government that – quite justifiably – persists to this day.

3 Likes

I sincerely hope the next Democrat president asks a foreign government for help getting dirt on a Rethuglican challenger, I will definitely root for him/her at their impeachment trial. I would hope that they pull as many dirty tricks against the Rethuglicans as possible.

1 Like

WHAT “next DimWitRat presidunce”?  The Senate has made it clear to Tweetle-Dumb that anything he wants to do is just fine, so even if there is still an election in November the cheating will be so extreme that Putin would be embarrassed.   It’s like DavidCarson said above, “R.I.P. Amerika”.

3 Likes
                  The Votes Are In:
            **51 Republican Senators**
         **Vote To Protect Trump. Not U.S.**
5 Likes