Home | About | Donate

A Drone Killed This Man's Family. He Asked For Simple Apology. US Said 'No'

A Drone Killed This Man's Family. He Asked For Simple Apology. US Said 'No'

Sarah Lazare, staff writer

The administration of President Barack Obama is refusing to formally apologize for the drone strike that killed the family members of Yemeni man Faisal bin Ali Jaber—who has spent months battling in the courts for justice or, short of that, mere acknowledgement of his loss.

The 2012 drone strike killed Faisal's nephew Waleed bin Ali Jaber, a police officer, and brother-in-law Salem bin Ali Jaber, a local imam reportedly known for preaching against al-Qaeda, when it struck their village of Khashamir.

Perhaps the US could take the Alford Plea and grant this man an apology. Guess one apology would be like taking the finger out of the dike loosing all the myriad reasons for apologies. And the U S does not even apologize to all the citizens within its borders that merit apologies for atrocities committed throughout our nation's history...starting with the Native Americans and then African Americans and Mexican immigrants with a long line of others behind them.

The words "et al." must be implicit in Obama's Tuesday morning assassination lists. Wasn't the discussion on human rights earlier this morning?

Faisal bin Ali Jaber seems like an ordinary decent man who believes in justice and moral principle. He does not want the "condolence money" of the US government; he only wants an apology for the killing of his relatives by US drones. Unfortunately for Mr. bin Ali Jaber he is not dealing with decent human beings like himself; he is dealing with bloodthirsty, arrogant monsters who have no concern whatsoever for the Yemeni people. Drone operators--which is to say, computer screen murderers--refer to their victims as "bug splat." As this charming phrase suggests, drone operators are not high on moral consciousness. Indeed, a drone operator is just a barbarous thug by another name. The American Empire is run by thugs at every level. Thuggery is what the American military does best, as it goes about terrorizing the world. US politicians boast that they will never apologize for the United States and they mean to stand by their conviction. No matter how many innocents are killed by the Forces of Freedom (!!), we never ever do wrong and there is therefore never anything to apologize for. Mr bin Ali Jaber needs to get a life...!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The US never apologized to Maher Arar either after having him tortured. It is by far the most grossly hypocritical of nations and not fit to sit down in international forums with civilized countries.

Obama laments over the murders in Roseburg, Oregon, but is not lachrymose and does not apologize over his murderous drones which as Commander-in Chief of the U. S. Armed Forces he is culpable for pulling the trigger on this Yemeni mans family as well as many,many others that we will probably never know about.

Drones are dishonorable. The operator has no skin in the game. Unless you have a chance of being killed yourself, you have no humanity and can never hope to gain any. The screen bomber has no empathy with the victim at all, since they are just "Bug Splats", just a video game.

But in person, the smell and graphic horror of war will change your thought processes completely. You will realize what a futile enterprise war is and just how ugly the people are who invent reasons for engaging in it are. War is the biggest scam ever invented by the hand of Man.

And nothing increases Global Warming like War. Especially this fake Global War on Terror.

TJ
B747pilot Dessert Shield/Dessert Storm

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." ~ Thomas Paine, A Dissertation on the First Principles of Government, 1795

In time of actual war, great discretionary powers are constantly given to the Executive Magistrate. Constant apprehension of War, has the same tendency to render the head too large for the body. A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defence against foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people. - James Madison, Father of the US Constitution

Madison also noted that never-ending war tends to destroy both liberty and prosperity:

Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied: and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people. The same malignant aspect in republicanism may be traced in the inequality of fortunes, and the opportunities of fraud, growing out of a state of war, and in the degeneracy of manners and of morals, engendered by both. No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare. - James Madison, father of the US Constitution

Obomber is now deploying 30,000 (many armed) drones across the USA Fatherland. Think about that for a minute. Do you trust a person like this not to drone his political enemies? Even if he's out of office before the FAA modifies the national airspace system for this intrusion, do you trust a Bush or a Trump not to target his critics or dissenters?

The hour is very late indeed. It's 1937 Nazi Germany all over again, complete with buzz-bombs droning overhead...

Obama laments over the shootings in Roseburg because he wants gun control , if not confiscation . The police departments of even small towns can be armoured like panzer divisions , but ordinary mundanes cannot be trusted with as much as a pistol .

Good comment. Of course we should not trust the servants of oligarchy. In addition to the things you mention, there are also the legal changes which allow the federal government to disappear US citizens in the US without charge or trial.

I read this and tears came to my eyes as my heart is broken.

The elected leaders (men and women in Congress and the President) in the U.S. and the MIC have delivered the American citizens into the depths of hell and shame.

Only a revolution can change our course. Do enough people care enough to revolt and take our country back? Or ... has apathy totally overcome so many that there is no longer any hope?

- Democracy and capitalism are not compatible.

"'...The hypocrisy of the Administration’s stance sends a harmful message,
telling the entire Muslim world that its lives have no value to the
United States.'"
I would have thought quite a lot else would have long ago, not sent simply a message but verifiable facts, that the entire Muslim world's lives have no value. Those facts would include overthrowing democratic leaders, the dismemberment of existing states, starting with Somalia (Remember there was once a place with a functioning state there?), providing the ordnance and one hundred percent support for the Israeli shooting gallery that is Gaza, all the 'shock and awe' and bunker buster bombs, drones and military aid to butcher-dictators throughout that area.

I don't really know what kind of person thinks this failure to apologize is a bigger deal than the deaths themselves which have long made such hypocrisy apparent. Perhaps only someone who is looking on from a detached distance and can't quite picture what the view must be like from the other side where such message has long been heard, loud and blinding-flash/searing pain clear. And frankly, who gives a shit about messages and hypocrisy when actual lives are being destroyed on a daily if not hourly basis? That's a luxury of the disaffected.
(Hmmm, I seem to be in a cranky mood this morning.)

mbrownec,

I had the exact same tears-streaming reaction upon discovering this quote by the founder of our current 1787 government. I still get choked up every time I read it. It was so ominous and prophetic, and virtually no American is allowed to read it or know about it - in what passes for school now days.

It's a national tragedy that the wisdom of the Founding Fathers is completely lost to this Century. The Empire has done much to dissolve our important heritage by vilifying all the Founders as slavers and striking their holidays and memoirs from USA life, even though many of them struggled against King George to end slave trafficking, to no avail, and eventually eliminated slavery albeit very slowly and painfully (and never really succeeding in the South.)

America in the 1970's was one of the most prosperous and free places on Earth (for the very large middle class, anyway.) How far we have fallen. 99 percent of us now just barely exist under the Iron Heel of Wall Street.

Can a revolution happen? Not with the TV brainwashing-machine pumping out constant disinformation, imho. But if we could get people to quit paying their cable bills and demand local programs made by the public again, maybe we'd have a better chance of prying people out of the CIA Matrix. I'm for copying these articles and handing them out to everyone you see.

TJ
"But what do we mean by the American Revolution? Do we mean the American war? The Revolution was effected before the war commenced. The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people" - John Adams

CARTER was responsible for the Viet Nam war? What new right wing delusion is this?

US politicians boast that they will never apologize for the United States and they mean to stand by their conviction.
* If only we could find a court to give them a conviction to stand by, followed by many years of staring out at the exercise area through bars.
;-})

As disappointed with Obama as I am (VERY), he does not (and cannot) "confiscate" all guns. The American weapons industry would simply not allow it. That idea is just one more way to scare people into accepting rule by the MIC.

I question the degree to which US government and military leaders are "sorry" about killing innocent (non-US/non-European) civilians.

The notion of wartime morality seems oxymoronic to me. I have only anecdotal information from conversations with people in the military, including family members. I have been told that the military places a high value on training soldiers to respond rapidly to the point that killing is "instinctual". Several people in the military have told me that killing of innocent civilians needs to be looked at in a broader sense. Apparently, they have been indoctrinated to believe that, while their actions may result in killing innocent civilians from time to time, taken overall, their actions are saving their lives, the lives of their buddies, and the lives of US citizens all over. It seems that the are indoctrinated to believe that acting to ensure that no innocent civilians are killed would result in more US soldiers and citizens being killed. So, it seems that the US policy is that the killing of innocent civilians is necessary.

I note, again, that I have only anecdotal information on this matter. I would like to find more well sourced information on the official US policy regarding the killing of innocent civilians.

"Plaintiffs ask the Court to second-guess a series of complicated policy decisions allegedly made by the Executive regarding whether to conduct a counterterrorism operation," Department of Justice attorneys wrote in a court filing submitted Wednesday. "The Executive makes such decisions after, among other things, weighing sensitive intelligence information and diplomatic considerations, far afield from the judiciary's area of expertise."
Intelligence that was obviously faulty. But amerikan presidents consider themselves experts on anything that they wish to destroy!

'Drone operators--which is to say, computer screen murderers-'

Drone operators--which is to say, arrant cowards

Not to mention under him America just bombed a hospital in Afghanistan with doctors without borders and nurses burning inside. Yet he is busy talking about gun control at home because of a mentally ill person having killed 9 people. Have not heard the death toll from the hospital yet but I am sure it is most likely more than 9.