Home | About | Donate

"A Duty to Warn" and the Dangerous Case of Donald Trump

"A Duty to Warn" and the Dangerous Case of Donald Trump

Bill Moyers, Robert Jay Lifton

There will not be a book published this fall more urgent, important, or controversial than The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump, the work of 27 psychiatrists, psychologists and mental health experts to assess President Trump’s mental health. They had come together last March at a conference at Yale University to wrestle with two questions.

Pretty terrifying stuff…

Was there any less “duty to warn” during the regimes of Trump’s five predecessors whose sociopathic track records did so much harm to the 99% while enabling evolution to an even more harmful beast in 2016 ?

Sorry. False equivalence to the point of me questioning if you are even serious. We may vehemently disagree with past presidents ideology and priorities, but they were not dangerous unstable psychopaths.

jr. bush nixon johnson may have killed 1,000,000 each
bill clinton 500,000 Iraqi children ?
sr bush a few 100,000? and all the other POTUS psychopaths did the worst they could …

As usual, Moyers knocks it out of the ballpark. Incisive questions, and Lipton does a good job. I don’t agree with everything he says, but I’ll have to come back later.

I eagerly await the availability of this book and hope it has some analysis of dump’s childhood issues (especially mommy and daddy) and exposes/predicts more of the truth about dump’s sick and/or abusive relationships with his daughter(s) and wives. Anyone know how his sister feels about him?

Those presidents were criminal leaders, tools of the MIC, and narcissists in and of themselves, as were their closest handlers like Kissinger. Imo, they were guided by a hegemonic ideology and personal greed-ambition, and they had little if any overall integrity. I still don’t think they were the flagrant, unpredictable sociopath dump is.

Do I think every one of them should have been unseated and charged with war crimes (at the least)? Yup.

Obviously, they, in and of themselves, were not the problem. The whole damn political-religious-economic-geopolitical system stinks.

I have written previously about the psychological profiles of political figures, but I believe it is critical to recognize that Mr. Trump is a unique and dangerous outlier even within a group of individuals that certainly approach/occupy various levels of pathology.

He is by far the “highest risk” President in my lifetime.

William Thomson, Ph.D. (age 75)
Licensed Psychologist

Good Luck getting us 'Murikan voters to be careful who[m] we vote for!!  With the MSM utterly controlled by the Multi-NaZional Korporations and even progressive independent forums like CD infiltrated by trolls, how in hell are we supposed to find out the truth about ANY candidates for ANYthing, much less carefully examine our (mostly highly secretive) institutions??

Yeah tellin like it is… Truth, hard to find in imperialist amerika!
Still, we who care, and want Peace must keep on! Big changes mean Big challenges!

I’ve written at Common Dreams February 3, 2017–The Mindset of the President which shows he has all the criteria of antisocial or psychopathic personality disorder.
This is my best effort to show the diagnosis that best fits the president. Because he lacks empathy and has little regard for the lives of others, is fascinated by torture, the outlook for the United States is really grim.
Katherine van Wormer
Professor of Social Work
University of Northern Iowa

Lifton, not Lipton…sorry.

Some of our previous Presidents may have been deeply flawed individuals morally, I don’t think any of them were as dangerous to the rest of us as Trump is with this total focus on self and inability (or unwillingness) to distinguish reality from his fantasies. He’s already tampering with the future of the entire planet by denying climate change and facilitating the oil barons.

While I gleefully anticipate his removal from office, which would surely have to be the ultimate failure for him, I’m also worried about his emotional state as his demise unfolds and he has finger on the button. We all know the danger of a disgruntled employee when they’re fired, and we’d be firing the most powerful man on Earth.

In California there is on the books a statute the Tarasoff Law–Named for a young woman murdered by her mentally ill boyfriend who had confided in his therapist that he planned to do so–The therapist under cover of confidentiality, did not warn the target or law enforcement–The law makes it clear that “duty to warn” Trumps confidentiality!

Excellent point. That’s why we need to pressure congress to throttle him altogether in terms of his war-making behaviors, the sooner the better.

Why just his war-making behaviors? He needs to be throttled in everything, removed from office, criminally charged, convicted and sent to prison.

Yes, very terrifying! Our great leader scares me more than their great leader.

S, you’re very right. However, if it’s accurate that he alone can unilaterally and solely, with no other person there to restrain him, fire off nuclear weapons, then that is the biggest quasi-imminent threat to the country and planet. His impetuosity, imo, makes him that threat. So I want congress to tie his hands and post signs all around him as to that constraint…so he doesn’t “forget.”

Duty to Warn interviews on youtube

Do you have any thoughts about how to deal with this type of person with mental illness in a powerful position?