Home | About | Donate

A Final Home For Matthew

A Final Home For Matthew

On this date in 1998, Wyoming college student Matthew Shepard died after being abducted, tied to a fence, robbed, raped, pistol-whipped and left in the cold because he was gay. For 20 years, as he became a symbol of LGBTQ rights, his family had told his story but not yet buried his ashes. This week, it was announced his ashes will be buried in D.C.'s historic National Cathedral. The "sacred spot," his family hopes, can help people "reflect on creating a safer, kinder world.”

The picture of the place where Matthew Shephard was beaten is a sad and barren place. I drove through that state once and saw so many miles and miles of flat and dry and lonely open space. I can’t even imagine what Matthew Shephard suffered.
20 years it took to give him a special place in our unkind and cruel history. A special place for his ashes in the National Cathedral----- an honor for a life cut short and a teaching moment too. America so often worships the GOOD Shepherd---- and loves to tell the story," He died for your sins." Yes praise for that GOOD Shepherd but then conversely, America so often murders the GAY Shephard-----and what is the teaching moment in that?

rip matthew. there are those of us who will always remember what evil was done to such a sweet soul.

I remember being in tears 20 years ago when I read about the murder.I still feel the same.

I watched “Matt Shepherd Is A Friend Of Mine” on Netflix. It made me sad. Wyoming’s nickname is “Equality State”. It was the 1st state to grant women the right to vote. When it comes to sexual orientation, Wyoming is a long way from equality.

The rest of the story:

Jimenez found that Matthew was addicted to and dealing crystal meth and had dabbled in heroin. He also took significant sexual risks and was being pimped alongside Aaron McKinney, one of his killers, with whom he’d had occasional sexual encounters. He was HIV positive at the time of his death.

“This does not make the perfect poster boy for the gay-rights movement,” says Jimenez. “Which is a big part of the reason my book has been so trashed.”

Matthew’s drug abuse, and the fact that he knew one of his killers prior to the attack, was never explored in court. Neither was the rumour that the killers knew that he had access to a shipment of crystal meth with a street value of $10,000 which they wanted to steal.

PS NO ONE should be murdered…not gay, not straight, not anything. But the story of this being merely a “hate crime” apparently doesn’t hold water when thoroughly investigated.