Home | About | Donate

A Global Counter-Trump Movement Is Taking Shape

A Global Counter-Trump Movement Is Taking Shape

John Feffer

Let’s hope that Donald Trump is the political version of syrup of ipecac.

The American system has been sick to its stomach for some time. Then along comes Donald Trump, America swallows him (hook, line, and sinker), and the system experiences gut-churning convulsions ever since. According to the most hopeful medical prognosis, America will eventually expel Trump from its system and feel so much better afterwards.

Thank you Mr. Feffer.
"Let’s hope that Donald Trump is the political version of syrup of ipecac." While humorous, this statement is what I've been feeling for some time. And for many on this site, it is what we thought about when we envisioned a Trump presidency. That he would be bad is an understatement. That he would mobilize and empower the left is dead on.
Of course our time left on this planet should be spent fighting climate disruption and preparing for it, fighting for democracy is what we must put our energy into instead.
As the stomach churns the left is feeling it's power more each day worldwide. This article is very reassuring in it's own way. We aren't alone in this fight and it won't end with Trump as our authoritarian president smashing democracy. His days are numbered the more his idiocy is exposed and he's working really hard at doing that. Notice the town halls with the Republicans whimpering about how mad their constituents are.
The cracks are coming and the end is nigh.

The formula for taking the wind out of the GOP's sails is for the Democrats to go cold turkey getting corporate candidates out and drawing in candidates that voters will actually vote FOR, rather than the three decade old model of lesser evil candidates who we hold our noses and mark the ballot for only because the GOP opponent is worse.

Excuse me, but that's the sort of hyperbole that Trump himself passes off as fact.

It's bad enough that Trump would have us believe he has a mandate, but for Feffer to suggest that the current "gut-churning convulsions" are something a majority of Americans favor is a bit much.

The American electorate actually rejected Trump, who lost the popular vote.

Let's hope that Feffer is right and that "America will eventually expel Trump" with a sufficient margin that even the antiquated electoral college will reflect those sentiments in 2020.

CNN reported some interesting quotes todayfrom the pope along the progressive line.

Yeah, the abc crawler said that "Pope Francis says it is better to be an atheist than a bad Christian." Only recent remarks about Francis here (US) was that the conservatives (Christian fundamentalists?) are intensifying their vilification of him.

Thank you for updating us on how the political scene in other nations is responding to rump's residency.

Yeah, the abc crawler said that "Pope Francis says it is better to be an atheist than a bad Christian." Only recent remarks about Francis here (US) was that the conservatives (Christian fundamentalists?) are intensifying their vilification of him.

edit: Well I just read the Huffington Post reporting on his remarks, and as suspected, very multi-layered. Still in his remarks is a claim of authority that is founded on dogmatic subservience. I truly admire his challenging advocacy, but he is after all the leader of the Catholic Church, and he'd be a phony if he didn't strictly adhere to its deliberated traditions. He both energizes me and frustrates me. If I were a woman I'd probably have a much harsher view of him.

Very true! The left is getting more and more powerful with each hit it is getting! It's inevitable the left will win this fight in the end -- no matter how bloody it will get. People are waking up all over. They have all had enough.

Spread the word--brand new Resistance Calendar!

Friend John, America didn't buy into Trump hook, line and sinker. Many of us who enjoy your columns at CD were puking up the Democratic Party's tricks against Bernie, and coughing up Hillary's and Barack's sell out to Wallstreet and the war machine. That's how the Orange Clown slithered in with his Rolls Royce full of nut-jobs.