Donald Trump is a worldly fellow. He travels the globe on his private jet. He’s married to a Slovene and divorced from a Czech. He doesn’t speak any other languages, but hey, he’s an American, so monolingualism is his birthright.
The 'Return of the Ugly American' but this time in the ascendency and without the inherent self criticism of the Camelot Era.
To Trump's way of thinking, the term isn't a criticism but a compliment
When you read memoirs written by Germans who lived through WW-1 and the interregnum, you find that many of them were aware of Adolph Hitler, but they thought of him as a rather uncouth and brutal clown with his brown shirted SA. They expected that the courts would take care of him.
* When the NSDAP (Nazis) won a few seats in the Reichstag, everyone figured they would keep him in check.
* One problem was that Hitler had an ability to tap the violence,hatred and prejudices that lurk deep in the unconscious of many people. He could turn it to action, then praise it as the height of patriotism.
* When Hindenburg made him Reichskanzler, many were horrified, but they still thought the Reichstag would keep him in check.
* Then, Germany had its 911 when the SS burned the Reichstag and blamed it on a Dutch communist. The next day, Hitler's Patriot Act, the Enabling Acts, was signed into law and the German People lost all of the civil rights gained in the Weimar Constitution. The Reichstag quickly became a rubber stamp for whatever Hitler decreed.
* Any opposition, newspapers, clerics, unions, or just plain people was quickly suppressed. A contrary opinion could get you shot, or sent to a camp.
* A great number of Germans died for expressing criticism of Hitler's policies. The Gestapo had spies everywhere, and a casual remark at a dinner could turn into torture, death, or a camp.
* Finally, for the most part, most Germans found it easier to "go along to get along" and the Thousand Year Reich began its nine year lifetime, or so we thought.
* Now, history seems to be repeating itself once more here in the
US Fourth Reich.
* I hope We the People can turn it around this time, but...
If only Hillary had won a couple of more states.
She would have been the great uniter of people and the peace president we need in these times.
I think you misspelled Bernie's name. Wasn't even close except for the e-y sound at the end.
The powerful .05% have systematically squeezed the wealth out of the lower and middle class upward for the last 35 years and still expect their power and propaganda to be unchallenged... Enter the dragon of extreme rightwing fundamentalism and fascism to fill the empty void (in wallet, stomach and brain). The velvet glove comes off the steel fist and the crude and the ugly rise to the surface to the shock and consternation of the established power elite.
Look at Jack M comments last week at the Davos economic party and read his critique of the neoliberal billionaires running this country and close (they think) of running the table on world hegemony!
That last sentence should read:
Look at Jack Ma comments last week at the Davos economic party and read his critique of the neoliberal billionaires running this country and close (they think) to running the table on world hegemony!
Hillary with peace???? Yes, certainly would have been better but not a uniter.
I'll take better any day now. We don't have the fifth justice on the Court yet, but if you read Alito's comments from the Claremont Institute speech he gave the other day, I think we have a fair view of what to expect:
But, you know, talking about about the Supreme Court prior to the election was pushing "fear voting," or so I was told here at CD. We are only a month in. Things haven't even gotten started.