Home | About | Donate

A Great and Joyful March, But It’s Not Enough

A Great and Joyful March, But It’s Not Enough

Michael Winship

“Peaceful protests are a hallmark of our democracy. Even if I don’t always agree, I recognize the rights of people to express their views.”

On Sunday morning, that came flying out from the Twitter account of @realDonaldTrump, raising the question, “What have you done with the real, @realDonaldTrump?”

It sure didn’t sound like the troll we’ve come to know. A couple of days in, maybe the awesomeness of becoming the leader of the free world had penetrated his roiling psyche and settled him down.

Why didn’t these people vote?

This was a WTF moment for me as well. It sounds as though he is blaming the marchers for his being elected.

Saturdays March wasn't merely Great and Joyful, it was a sign of things to come.

According to Drew Westen in "The Political Brain", 85 per cent of voters vote for emotional reasons. Then the buyer's remorse sets in. From this point on, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Okay, anyone who participated in the march in Washington D.C. the day after Trump was inaugurated. PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME: How was this psychopathic killer, Donna Hylton, who sadistically tortured and murdered a gay man in the 1980's welcomed as a featured speaker at this march?
What justification could there possibly be? I would really like to know.

Resistance has to result in some sort of action that thwarts the opponent. What form that takes I don't know but just protest isn't effective unless the magnitude of the size of it threatens the security of the incumbent Congress.

Don't know the story as I'm sure most marchers didn't. Please enlighten.

It would seem to me that the strategy would include trying to pull some Republicans in Congress away from going along with Trump. That might be easier once there are real threats to ending Medicaid, Medicare, etc and it appears that such threats are rapidly materializing. If people begin to feel they will be worse off under Trump than under Obama opposition should pick up over a wider spectrum of people. The plan for a scientists march is encouraging because the marchers will include more conservative people than usually march. If the protests go very left wing that will help Trump firm up his support.

I love Steinem being quoted about "We the People', only months after she did her best to help sink our only real Populist.

One can hope but in the same vein as thwarting glitches Hal warming I'm not overly optimistic.

thwarting global warming