Home | About | Donate

'A Great Day for Corporate America': US Senate Passes Fast Track

'A Great Day for Corporate America': US Senate Passes Fast Track

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

In a win for multinational corporations and the global one percent, the U.S. Senate on Tuesday narrowly advanced Fast Track, or Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) —ensuring for all practical purposes the continued rubber-stamping of clandestine trade agreements like the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) and TransAtlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP).

Where was the all night filibuster to prevent cloture?

edit...To be clear, I'm being sarcastic. Such an option would be taken by any particular Senator if there were any particular Senator who actually wanted to put up a principled fight against this corporate governance juggernaut.

Jonny, logan, acg....I added the edit after your replies.

Now is the time to charge every person who voted for this act of betrayal - including Obama- with treason!

Better headline would be OBAMA DESTROYS DEMOCRATIC PARTY. In blue states like WA, only the top two vote getters in the primary get to be on the general, regardless of party. Since our democratic asshole "representatives" voted for fast track, the top two vote getters in the primary are likely to be republicans, which means no dems on the general ballot.

Where was the all night filibuster to prevent cloture?

Firmly ensconced in the imaginations of Democratic Party rubes.

Gosh, where is our Mr. Smith?

Looks like TAA was nothing more than a fanciful bait and switch that now at least has striped the fig leaf covering the lack of genitals of those who supported removal and fast track.
I wish I could say I thought the outcome would have been different, that those millions voicing opposition would have had a positive effect on those in control but no matter die or dye, they have both been cast, the juggernaut unleashed and it has been for some time now that those at the wheel are determined to get as much as they can and are willing take us all down when there is no more.

Just to be clear, I was being sarcastic.

HIllary can now say she was against it.

Looks like you and I are from WA -- our fascist, corporatist Senators -- Murray and Cantwell -- voted in favor.

Kiss your working, health, and environmental butts goodbye as NAFTA on steroids takes effect.

And this matters because...? These trade deals are going to be enacted one way or another. The fact that Congress won't be able to amend them as they pass through is probably a plus. Think of the pork they can tack on in the process. Anyone who thinks Congress is likely, ever, to deny the corporations unlimited trade is kidding themselves.

No great surprise here, eh?

Well, at least the criminally stupid, leftish, progressive-lite, supposedly alt-media had a few days to celebrate their amazing "Victory" over the ruling-elite of this EMPIRE that the daft, dumb, leftish, progressive-lite, and supposedly 'alt' media had in dancing in the streets about this latest example of Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown in the form of both the neocon 'R' Vichy party and the smoother lying neoliberal-con 'D' Vichy party of the exact same fucking EMPIRE that the leftish, progressive-lite, alt media ignores at their own funeral.

WTF, this bunch of dolts may not deserve saving.

See you later, guys. Oops, maybe "not so much".

Liberty, democracy, equality, and justice
Over
Violent (and Vichy-disguised)
Empire,

Alan

Boeing, Microsoft, Raytheon and bigger MIC Naval presence. Plus, container shipping and trucking, etc. You better hope you get that infrastructure bill passed. How much Vietnam/SE Asian made furniture, shoes, electronic equipment etc. can you process? Here come the " bomb trains ", too. You're going to get it coming and going. And, no recourse through the courts, either. Murray, Cantwell, Wyden.. the usual suspects. When the 3 of them sit down for dinner; where's the Democrat ?

I thought Clinton destroyed it years ago.

probably tied up and gagged in some dungeon, either that or bought..

I approve your comment, best vocabulary of the day.

13 Democrats joined Republicans in voting for cloture.

Michael Bennet (D-CO)
Maria Cantwell (D-WA)
Tom Carper (D-DE)
Chris Coons (D-DE)
Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND)
Tim Kaine (D-VA)
Claire McCaskill (D-MO)
Patty Murray (D-WA)
Bill Nelson (D-FL)
Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH)
Mark Warner (D-VA)
Ron Wyden (D-OR)

'They' think this is their country and are acting more openly against us day by day. I do hope some significant portion of the masses realize this soon - the 'last minute' is nearly upon us.

All 3 branches added to the mass media, academe, and the MIC are beholden to corporate interests. THAT is the problem. But Congress should have put the brakes on. Granted, since most congress critters rely upon corporate donors for their political careers (and election/campaign costs), it makes their divided loyalties that much more ostensible... and compromised.

And no doubt there were at least thirteen more standing by to provide the deciding vote if needed. This was a done deal from the get-go, and the vast majority of Democratic "no" votes were nothing more than a self-serving exercise in pure tokenism, preserving that Senator's populist bona fides so that he or she could live to con the credulous rubes another day.