Home | About | Donate

A Green New Deal for American Labor?

A Green New Deal for American Labor?

Saurav Sarkar

The simple yellow protest signs were stenciled “Green Jobs for All.” Speaker after speaker stepped into the middle of the office floor, marked with a U.S. House of Representatives seal. Representative-Elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, fresh off her election win, gave the protesters high fives.

That was the scene in November when the youth climate justice organization Sunrise Movement held a sit-in at the office of Rep. Nancy Pelosi, who was soon to be the Speaker of the House.

Most Americans had never heard of the “Green New Deal” at the time.

1. The living wage, versus guaranteed Federal income. It is important that both get through. Big business should not get off the hook with low pay supplemented by the government the way some big business does now.
  2. A unionized workforce. It seems to me that the best way to reduce the power of big business is to eliminate it as much as possible with small businesses. Unions are easier to organize in bigger businesses. In smaller businesses more people are owner-entrepreneurs.

I appreciate your expertise. It is sorely needed to move forward. I wish pipelines had such detail and regulation. More time to block them.