Home | About | Donate

'A Hotter Future That's Hard to Imagine': Super-Charged by Climate Crisis, New Study Warns of 'Killer Heat' Set to Overtake US

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/16/hotter-future-thats-hard-imagine-super-charged-climate-crisis-new-study-warns-killer

1 Like

I wonder how many major investors are taking these dire predictions into account,especially with real estate.Not just the heat increases but sea levels rising.For example who would buy a property such as Mar A Lago knowing(or even suspecting) it may be under water in ,say,50 years.It doesn’t matter what value you have it on the books,if no one will buy it it is worth “Nada” !!

Shhh! Nobody wants you to start talking about South Florida real estate values, for crying out loud. Do you want to start some kind of a panic?

Here in California, in the Sierra foothills, you can’t get fire insurance anymore. So if you live around here and your house burns down for any reason, you’re just SOL.

Greenland is frying like an omelet this summer. There’s no stable sea ice around it anywhere to hold back glaciers draining Greenland’s ice sheet, so that accelerator pedal just hit the metal. One of the ice-geeks on Neven’s superb Arctic Sea Ice Forum put it this way: “We are so far beyond screwed, you can’t even see screwed from here.”

6 Likes

That forum is amazing. I actually feel like I need to reduce my visits, but after daily visits there for years, I realize I can’t help myself.

1 Like

I’m engaged in my first intensive lurk there right now – on that main “2019 melting season” thread. The greatest story ever told! I just started at the beginning of the thread last March, and from there it reads like a bizarre novel, with considerable, insanely consequential suspense: When will we see the BOE? (From context I thought that meant “Beginning Of End” – but their glossary gives another meaning.)

1 Like

Yes, it’s been the story of a slow motion train wreck. The most horrifying story ever told? And although the debate there about the timing of the BOE ebbs and flows with the seasons and years, it’s pretty much universally agreed upon that the BOE is inevitable.

1 Like

Phoenix/Mesa is on the list, I am 65 miles east from there, my pain management Doc on the border line, it is like driving into hell once a month. There are times the air smells like an open sewer, O and my car doesn’t have air conditioning…but…but…it’s a dry heat./s

2 Likes

So you live up in the Superstition mountains area? (If I remember the name correctly). Wasn’t there a big fire in that area recently? How much cooler is it that distance from Phoenix? I don’t know how that many people can stand living in a place that hot. Denver is getting way too hot for me every summer now.

1 Like

Hi EVD, I am south east of the mtn’s and the fire was straight north of me by 5 miles or less, so ya, I’m right where you think I am in Superior AZ. Living here is actually quite easy, it is a dry heat most of the time and I’ve been here off and on since 1959 so I’m used to it. :))) I was born in Denver, we moved here from Greeley. Honest, it isn’t bad in the country foot hills but out on the flats in the cities is another story.

1 Like

I remember an amazing hike in the Superstitions to a saddle that overlooked Weavers Needle. Beautiful desert landscape. I hate to hear about that area burning, but hopefully it wasn’t one of those high intensity burns that completely wipes out the flora forever. Glad to hear that area is still livable. I’m sure that area is growing at a rapid rate, like most of the places in the west. You’ve probably been back to Denver lately, but it would be unrecognizable from what it was 30-40 years ago, or even 10. And Greeley, glad you made it out of there! They are predicting 1,000,000 people living in the Greeley-Ft.Collins-Loveland area by 2050 or something. Hard to imagine. I suspect climate change will have other things to say about that prediction.

Hi deegree:
I wonder how long it will be before Wall St. is underwater? And if they don’t drown—I wonder— where they will go?

1 Like

This the tip of the iceberg and it will not be long before people pray for icebergs.

In the Foundation series, a science fiction trilogy written by Isaac Asimov , a future is envisioned where technological society collapses. There systemic failure of infrastructure with fewer and fewer peoples familiar with the systems and able to prevent failure. Society eventually collapses inside of a Galactic Federation which leads to a new Dark ages.

https://www.investmentwatchblog.com/its-all-crumbling-nyc-power-outages-to-continue-gps-satellites-fail-tech-is-collapsing-at-an-increased-rate/

The rates of failure of technology are in my opinion increasing. From pipeline explosions to power outages, from network failures to devices designed to fail , the technology we rely on in society is ever more “throw away” as the latest version comes out to ooo’s and ahhhs. Vey often the item built to replace technology deemed obsolete is even less reliable and less functional. Those who are not overly concerned about Climate change will insist that technology will save us , but overspending on the WAR machine and being overly focused on ensuring the rich get richer and GDP growth encouraged through consumption has led to systemic breakdown. When those heatwaves hit Chicago and New York and Atlanta , it more then a little likely that there will be power failures , failures of water delivery systems , failures in food distribution all happening at once.

3 Likes

And there are what - over a hundred nuclear power plants in the US alone ?

And what about Alaska - with that proposed 41% cut to the University of Alaska group ?

Is this not a sign of the disdain which the powers that be have for education in general?

1 Like

. . .  Which will lead to yet another ‘Tipping Point’ as the rising heat increases the use of Electricity to power Air Conditioners which requires more Fuel to be burned by Power Plants which results in even more Pollution which adds to Global Warming which means more ‘Killer Heat’ . . .

OTOH, by 2050 maybe we’ll have killed off all the bees so there’ll be no crops and all the coral so there’ll be no fish and we’ll all have starved to death anyway so no-one will be around to complain
about the heat . . .

3 Likes

The fossil fuel industry receives a lot of criticism these days, and rightfully so. But in the final analysis, we are the ones who support the energy industry and it is our standard of living that will need to change. So contemplate what you can do for the cause

Personal Actions

End our love affair with the automobile

Ride more trains and buses

Car pool

Walk and bike more

Turn off the air conditioner in the summer and dial the thermostat down in winter

Become vegetarians or vegans

Refill plastic water bottles with tap water

Discontinue using aluminum cans with and without carbonation

Maximize use of reusable bags and products

Recycle junk mail

Forego fast junk food

Go to “slow food”;

Recycle maximally, especially aluminum cans

Drive and accelerate more slowly

Climb more stairs

Plant more trees

Forego use of spray cans

Repair, mend and alter as much as possible

Buy solar panels

Compost as much as possible

Last person out of the room turn off the lights

Eat and farm organic

Fly fewer planes

Promote conference calls and web cams, fewer meetings

Use manual tools instead of power tools

Share more

Use rakes rather than leaf blowers

Decrease use of bottled water and refill plastic bottles with tap water

Maximize reusable bags and products

Push rather than power small mowers

Replace lawns with vegetable gardens

Stop fertilizing and mowing lawns

Compost as much as possible

Minimize use of disposables (Pampers);

Maximize high efficiency LED and solar powered lighting;

Limit endless gadgets

Use motion lighting, where appropriate

Decrease consumption

Limit family size

Local Government Actions

Reorganize cities, building taller residences with a smaller footprint (the end of suburbia)

Institute a carbon tax

Promote car pooling subsidize and expand mass transit

Expand bike paths

Have shareable (zip) cars

Ban electric outdoor signs;

Eat and farm organic

Eliminate approximately 50% of all street lighting and office lighting in unoccupied buildings

eliminate “fast junk food”; go to “slow food

replace

Federal Government Actions

Eliminate subsidies to fossil fuel corporations

Ban gasohol

Rein in the militaries for defense only and outlaw war

Further shrink nuclear arsenals and increase treaties

Discontinue night baseball

Promote making electronics, house wares, furniture, etc to be as durable and long-lived as possible

Promote recycling

Set standards for making appliances to be as energy efficient as possible

Discontinue single use aluminum cans

Ban electric outdoor signs

Subsidize solar and wind power;

Change from petroleum based fertilizers to regenerative agriculture

Reverse deforestation, plant more trees

Restrict spray cans

Promote zero population growth with free condoms and family planning world-wide

End yearly auto model changes;

Proscribe junk mail

Scrap the mission to Mars

Adjust tax laws to limit family size

2 Likes

21 degrees Celsius 69.8 Fahrenheit. This local is just shy of the northern most tip of Greenland.

2 Likes

In 2009 Scott Morton and M.P. Sharma published a paper titled “Thermodynamic Considerations in (Human) Carrying Capacity”
In the body of their paper they calculate that the maximum carrying capacity of non-fossil fuel using humans is 3.8 billion. That’s no coal, natural gas, or petroleum products.
At the other end of the spectrum the carrying capacity for a population of fossil fuel wastrels may be a few as 50 million.
At 7 plus billion we are way past carrying capacity. Our numbers and basic needs, such as, one cooked meal a day, cannot be met sustainability, let alone bicycles or any other manufactured good or buses, etc.

Still searching for climate facts. This article is based on what the Union for Concerned Scientist said so I looked at their web site and it seems the people there are lawyers and administrators of one sort or another not scientists (?). Vague on where their money comes from. Don’t hoist me up on your environmental sword but I don’t trust government after all the lies they told me all my life (JFK, MLK, Gulf Of Tonkin, weapons of mass destruction, 911 thermite etc.) so anything that increases the size/power and scope of a corrupt government raises my suspicion monitor. I want facts, not hear-say opinions or fly-by-night computer projections which can say anything the typist wants. I really don’t know if global warming is just the NWO herding the sheeple into a tyrannical dystopian future or if denial is just corporatists protecting their profits. I know such questions is akin to apostasy in the Church of Climate Change but hey, I am from a generation that learned to question authority – ALL authority. So, just the facts mam. Gopherit

And what about areas like the Saharan desert, most of Africa, except the bottom tip, the Mideast & India, etc. These places already have 115-120+ degrees for weeks at a time.
Where will their people go??
Many crops can’t thrive in the 90s, so how about the resulting food shortages??

1 Like

Yes …Technological advancement without advanced thinking leads to demise .
The solutions are Spiritual in nature.
Understanding that we are all One.