Home | About | Donate

A Just Dystopia: Climate Activism Must Include Planning for the Worst-Case Scenario

A Just Dystopia: Climate Activism Must Include Planning for the Worst-Case Scenario

Alycee Lane

Levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere exceeded 411 parts per million (ppm) in May, the highest monthly average ever recorded at the Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii, home to the world’s longest continuous CO2 record. In addition, scientists found that the rate of CO2 increase is accelerating, from an average 1.6 ppm per year in the 1980s and 1.5 ppm per year in the 1990s to 2.2 ppm per year during the last decade.”

It’s basically impossible to plan if you have little idea of what is going to happen. It is much better to devote time and resources to what is likely to happen and that process has already begun. Dealing with sea level rise is well into the planning phases in many places and some actions have already been taken. Sea level rise is probably the most predictable effect of climate change because we know where it will happen and have some idea of what to do. Planning for heat waves involve creating cooling centers and that is underway in many places. Also planting trees helps It seems very hard to predict what is going to happen to the food supply. Other than stockpiling grains if possible famines seem hard to prepare for. There is already a lack of good drinking water in many place, although not because of climate change, and efforts should be underway to prepare for potential water shortages by building reservoirs, etc. But the role of activists should mainly be focused on reducing emissions, by supporting renewable energy and energy efficiency and conservation. That appears to be where activist energy should be channeled.

Unfortunately there is a plan. The US military will manage any resultant unrest throughout the globe. Trust me, they’ve been working on it for quite some time.

Our humanity has no expiration date

I read Alycee Laneʻs article and thought of the James Lovelock 2008 interview in the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2008/mar/01/scienceofclimatechange.climatechange?gusrc=rss&feed=environment

Lovelockʻs comment: “But we don’t have time. All these standard green things, like sustainable development, I think these are just words that mean nothing. I get an awful lot of people coming to me saying you can’t say that, because it gives us nothing to do. I say on the contrary, it gives us an immense amount to do. Just not the kinds of things you want to do.”

My own thoughts: Iʻd not advocate abandoning climate activism, but as Lane and Lovelock suggest, it is time to prepare for the worst. Probably long past time. The very best action we can all take at this point is to build local communities rooted in interdependence, sharing and mutual support. At a certain point all we are going to have is each other.

" rooted in interdependence, sharing and mutual support ".
And guns…
Sorry, got despondent there.
But you’re right. If there’s a way out its going to be through sharing and love.

Is the point of this oddly worded article, “paralysis?” I no longer trust oddly worded articles. Many of you won’t either pretty soon. I’m not willing to write an expose’ with examples on why, tonight. Good night.

The resilience and planning for dystopia movements are enabler movements that are meant to make humans feel good about whatever we do. Nor do they have any plans for assisting the non-human species and the biosphere that we’re destroying. It’s just more selfishness from the most selfish species ever.
Humans should immediately have worldwide discourse about scaling back human population growth, turning human culture and economy away from consumerism and capitalism, understanding the rights and suffering of ALL sentient beings, and deep ecology.
We created a death-dealing juggernaut trap, and for many non-human species, it’s already too late–our actions have made their lives a living hell, or ended their lives completely.
We’ve stolen the earth from other species we share it with, installing a petro-industrial, techno-utopian, polluted, noisy, crowded, cruel death grid.
12 BILLION animals are killed per year in the USA just to feed non-vegans, and others are killed for vivisection, hunting, and other activities.
The worst-case scenario is already here. And yet Americans don’t even have enough ethics to give up their leaf blowers, weed whackers, jet skis, big cars, large families, air travel, and other needless, consumerist, polluting activities.
They sit in parking lots for an hour with their engine on, texting.
This is us:

In addition to the Lovelock interview, I should have included a link to the Dark Mountain Project in the UK. Their manifesto is worth reading: http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/

Political organizing, passing fossil free resolutions and marching all have limited effects. If you want to win, you need R&D including product rollout and ramping up production. That’s precisely what you don’t have.

Most important, you need to value the ideas that create the R&D that ends the climate change. Ideas win. No ideas lose. It’s that simple.

A few decades ago I saw a news article: The U of MN Dept. of Agriculture was researching to develop strains of corn that thrive in the warmer and dryer conditions anticipated for MN in the future.

I thought, what’s so hard about that? Nebraska is warmer and dryer than Minnesota, and Nebraska isn’t known as “The Cornhusker State” for nothing.

People on this forum like to brag that they think holistically, but from what I read I sometimes wonder. Even if you succeed in your climate crusade, what you give the people is equal to a post-peak-oil world, with the corresponding decline in the standard of living. And likely the inability of the world to sustain current populations, followed by a mass die-off of people.

At least on one point, large families, for most Americans that is done. The American birth-death rate is approximately replacement level, and the only population growth is from immigrants. [Immigrants are expected to vote ‘Democrat’, but not necessarily ‘Green’.] Other countries such as Russia and Japan are ‘ahead’ of us, and are already seeing population decreases; which is ‘good’, except for the problem of funding the social security retirement obligations.