Home | About | Donate

A Labor-Based Movement For Medicare for All

A Labor-Based Movement For Medicare for All

Michael Lighty

Healthcare is the crossroads where the assault on workers meets the juggernaut of “crony capitalism.” That’s the term used by the mainstream neo-classical and Nobel prize-winning economist Angus Deaton to describe the coziness between the healthcare industry and its government “regulators.” In fact, Deaton argues, how healthcare is financed and delivered is a driver of inequality.

Make Unions Great Again!

Obama’s ACA made the “coziness between the healthcare industry and its government regulators” even cozier, thereby enabling the GOP to turn the ACA into a wedge issue pushing many Obama voters who did not benefit from the ACA, or were shafted by the ACA to vote for Trump and other GOP operatives.

Its either single payer medical insurance or an accelerated descent into third world status for the US…take your pick.

The Dems can’t garner federal power without a shitload of Blue Dogs in their majority.

Those Blue Dogs–like anti-choice, pro-gun, pro-coal Connor Lamb, the latest Blue Dog Dem hero cited as being pretty much a Republican by none other than Paul Ryan–will NOT vote for MFA.

Thus, expecting the D-Party to be the force behind single payer (and a living wage, reining in Wall St, a stop to endless war…) is absurd.

Thanks for giving the erstwhile Lamb his proper ‘dog-tag.’

Important piece - not so much arguing for single payer, as pointing to its strategic power: how a defensive labor movement can seize on single payer to connect w/a greater, united progressive front that can help both organized labor and other workers.

It has been argued that the U.S. ‘failed single payer’ system of big employer healthcare after WWII had the effect of splitting off big company and union workers from a 1930s social formation that - joined and working together - might have achieved healthcare for all. (Will see if I can find the article.)

In my case, as a public school teacher, single payer could be a means of joining forces w/the entirely low income parents of students I teach via parent associations - likewise, I imagine, for nurses that reached out to low income patients outside the hospital setting.

Good to see the Sanders institute has settled on “Medicare for All.”

Step two?

$15/hr is already as passé as the original call for $10.10/hr.

Living wage as minimum is more hep nowadays.