Home | About | Donate

A Life of Heat 'Near Unlivable' for More Than 3 Billion People in Just Decades, Climate Report Warns

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/05/life-heat-near-unlivable-more-3-billion-people-just-decades-climate-report-warns

2 Likes

war is coming

Another article mentioning both global warming and the pandemic, without noticing the “global dimming” story – a longstanding concern of climatologists punching in today. The CO2 from our emissions doggedly (invisibly) remains in the atmosphere until ripped away by something magical like photosynthesis. The dirty sooty crappy-looking brown stuff takes a week or two to drift down. While it remains, the visible component of emissions dims the Earth, with a cooling effect that dials down warming from CO2 about 30%. While the smog is missing, we’re likely to see record-hot month after month (which we don’t need, here in California). March was +1.2 C over the 1951-1980 mean.

5 Likes

In 2070 Greta will be 77 years old, lets hope she does not live to see the scientific, predictions of the coming climate catastrophe, but that she passes away with a clean, global, environment.

1 Like

Meanwhile, there will be nowhere on the planet free from once-in-100-year weather disasters, except they’ll be happening every five years or so. Dust bowl level droughts will be normal.

Starvation is an ugly way to die, but we’re hellbent on upping the number from the current (and appalling) 9 million deaths/year to 90 million. Covid19 can’t touch that.

4 Likes

It is doubtful Greta will make it to 77 years old. It is doubtful any of us living now will make it much past 2050 and I suspect far sooner than that. I happen to believe in exponential runaway climate catastrophe and nothing can stop it as it has been in the making for decades now and will continue ramping up no matter what we do now. I would like to hope I am wrong but not what my intuition tells me.

6 Likes

Extinction Is Coming. And much sooner than later.

2 Likes

Yes…SOOOOO DAMN SAD!

1 Like

It’s already here in Spain. For the past week temps have soared. We did not have a winter; it was like spring then march and april were cold and now it’s like summer. I dread to think what june/july/august will be like.

3 Likes

Nihilism is when people say, “There’s no stopping the coronavirus.” Montana has had four confirmed cases of covid-19 in the last five days, out of 1.4 million people. Hawaii isn’t that far behind, in the single digits with 8 cases. Sometimes nihilists are essentially people freaking out. That’s not me (at least not right now it isn’t). Nihilists make lousy political leaders.

If you are of the mind that we need to do the best we can with what we have, I have an engineering suggestion. We need to somewhat separate the engineering problem of “How do we keep the air cooler and more humid right now?” from “How do we reduce greenhouse levels in the planet’s atmosphere?”

Cities are heat islands. They absorb the sun’s heat unnaturally. Especially in southern and southwestern climates, all highway breakdown lanes and all parking lots should be painted white to reflect most of the sunlight back into space.

When the sun hits bare ground, the ground absorbs the heat. When the sun hits tree leaves, each leaf doesn’t get that much warmer. Rather, the breeze 30 feet up soon pulls that heat away. Eventually much of that heat in the air radiates away back into space. It’s possible to design and build artificial “tree” structures above playgrounds and parking lots to keep them cool, but natural trees will usually be the more popular alternative for keeping streets and parks cool in summer.

White roofs, more trees, whiter breakdown lanes? These aren’t exactly the worst geoengineering alternatives out there.

1 Like

The terrifying aspect of this is that this scientific analysis on which this fearful analysis is based, as is the ICC UN analysis, is very optimistic: both ignore devastating feedback loops such as an ice-free arctic and methane release, though melting of Clathrates (methane hydrates). There is evidence in the sediments off Greenland that the Earth’s temperature can rise 10 degrees C in 10 years! This is interpreted as a Clathrate Catastrophe in the past.

This is why it is imperative that the mortally wounded candidate Joe Biden step down. With a “moderate” history - meaning as a neoliberal corporate-apologist - he will seal our doom, because his ability to defeat the Tangerine Tyrant has been severely damaged by the Reade affair. We must have acknowledgement by the next president that without dramatic and urgent, and corporate-smashing reforms, humanity is on a path to extinction. The mortally wounded Biden must step aside for Bernie Sanders - now!

7 Likes

Yes to all you said!
(h)ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R11o1VinJ30
There’s Still Time to Replace Joe Biden as Democratic Nominee

I am grateful that Rep. Ayanna Pressley is speaking out about this:
(h)ttps://medium.com/@AyannaPressley/its-2020-and-we-still-don-t-know-what-survivor-justice-looks-like-983d7a94173c

If this (what is unfolding on all levels in the u.s. and the world) were a dystopian sci fi movie that I went to see I would leave, it would be too hard to watch.

5 Likes

Yes, as long as it is anybody but Bernie!

I know----I thought that after I posted my comment and almost retracted it.
They won’t allow anyone to replace Biden that would be a threat to oligarchy. Rather futile.

1 Like

Climate Refugees will not only come from heat and humidity. With the ice pacs melting and seawater warming and thus expanding, we’re going to have a lot a people leaving, who are now coastal residences, to higher elevations and more comfortable locations, if there will be any left…

4 Likes

Yes. If it were not such a nightmare prospect, I could laugh at the idiocy of the oligarchy thinking that they will be able to control the consequences of trashing the planet; that nothing will happen to them.

3 Likes

It may not be feasible or have a significant impact at this time, but a very aggressive reduction in our population growth rate is needed to offset the effects on much of our globe that this heating will create. The land cannot sustain the population it is trying to feed now, and with so much land that was fertile and viable being lost to heating, erosion, sea level rise/flooding, the earths carrying capacity is drastically being reduced

2 Likes

I wonder why people just think about the Middle East with the heat, or heat also parts of Africa?. The Middle East in a previous time was said to be green, very green, and that long ago time did create the materials for the future oil of their in the world. Why would anyone assume that they could get the most heat?
At one time, The Arctic was warm and without ice. Maybe things will be so out of order that the entire planet will become more like Mars-----barren of any appearance of life ----although maybe there are Martians living underground like moles. A person does wonder if there ever was ice or water there—and perhaps having screwing up that planet, the Martians came here.
Yes, I am big Ray Bradbury fan. : )

This is a bit surprising!
(h)ttps://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/496276-judge-orders-sanders-others-to-be-reinstated-to-new-york-primary-ballot?__twitter_impression=true

"A federal judge issued a ruling Tuesday requiring New York to hold its presidential primary in June and restore Sen. Bernie Sanders and other former presidential contenders to the ballot.

The ruling from Judge Analisa Torres of the Southern District of New York, an Obama appointee, said that Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) decision to scrap his state’s primary violated the First and 14th Amendment rights of White House contenders who have since ended their campaigns."

4 Likes

People had the option of fixing climate change and overpopulation themselves. Now Mother Nature will take care of it.

2 Likes