Home | About | Donate

A Little More Force: Where There Is No Vision, the People Cast Off Restraint

A Little More Force: Where There Is No Vision, the People Cast Off Restraint

Israel's iron-handed punishment meted out to Palestinians after the Tel Aviv attack - revoking entry permits, bulking up troops, eagerly measuring families' homes for quick vengeful demolition - is less than surprising; ruthless collective overreach is what Israel does best. More notable is the rising chorus of Israeli voices newly, stubbornly seeing and citing the source of Palestinian rage: The terror will go on, they insist, as long as the Occupation does.

For a people who endured such horrors of their own persecution, one would expect Israelis to shun the monstrous cruelty they now practice in a manner so disgustingly similar to the Nazi SS of WWII.

As long as AIPAC controls the elected govt officials in the USA, Israel has free rein to genocide the Palestinians.

I agee with the majority of your statement, omitting, "concentration camps along our southern borders for immigrants from Latin America".
First, the governments of/within Latin America (Ref: South America) are many countries within their own right. They are recognized within the international community giving them access to demand immediate extradition of their citizens back home.
The circumstances would be different if those countries were demanding extradition of their citizens and the "good ole USA", refused.
Lastly, the immigrants (respectfully) within those "concentration camps" are fighting extradition preferring to remain in the United States.

And why is that often the case? All too frequently returning home is to return to authoritarian regimes created through US intervention. Mix in eco--refugees driven off their land as US corporate surrogates decimate and deforest habitat to produce GMO corn,soybeans, et al.
You see, settler-colonial societies are forces of evil---a concept most Americans refuse to acknowledge nor accept.

The problem is more complicated than willful blindness of US citizens. Many of us are overwhelmed by the economic strains of imposed austerity compounded by highly skilled psychological brainwashing via corporate media channels,

Indeed, from early schooling onward we're taught that evil isn't evil.
As for the strains of austerity, that in truth, was a willful choice of a generation that elected to sell out. Prior to the 1980s our society exhibited a greater sense of solidarity and compassion. A hallmark moment of the '80s comes to mind, the scene in Oliver Stone's Wall Street when Michael Douglas' character presents his greed is good speech. I recall that moment in the theater as the audience cheered and applauded---truly indicative that some remarkable convolution of belief had transpired.
It is too easy to attribute that much credit to brainwashing. Facts are, only 20% of a population is easily persuadable, complimented by another 20% that is nearly immune to such manipulations. Of course, there exists that classic bell curve gradient in between the extremes allowing for the possibility of the kinds mass hysteria that occasionally affect societies.

The first job of propaganda is to convince the subjects it is so stupid they aren't effected. here is an interesting propaganda analysis republished in Greece today

http://failedevolution.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-widespread-phenomenon-of-modern.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheUnbalancedEvolutionOfHomoSapiens+%28the+unbalanced+evolution+of+homo+sapiens%29

Interesting read, though nothing new for those who've read and are familiar with the works of Herman & Chomsky, Marshall McLuhan, and Aldous Huxley. McLuhan and Huxley, in particular, addressed the more subtle and insidious aspects of persuasion. Beyond persuasion, there are other factors to be considered, including general acculturation and basic psychology. We are taught not to question, and are encouraged to defend the status quo. It is a rare individual willing to risk societal scorn in upholding or defending a perceived truth---it is the tyranny of conformity. That, combined with even the crudest of propaganda measures proves quite effective in quelling dissension.

Chomsky often refers to, and cites, Orwell's introduction to Animal Farm in explaining the effectiveness of education as controlling agent. You might find this an interesting read: http://home.iprimus.com.au/korob/Orwell.html

" At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed that all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to say this, that or the other, but it is 'not done' to say it, just as in mid-Victorian times it was 'not done' to mention trousers in the presence of a lady. Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising effectiveness. A genuinely unfashionable opinion is almost never given a fair hearing, either in the popular press or in the highbrow periodicals."---from George Orwell, Introduction to Animal Farm

You see the process unfold here, on Common Dreams, almost every day as certain individuals seem to pounce with remarkable regularity upon those perceived as guilty of violating the 'Progressive' orthodoxy.

Peace to you

I disagree with you somewhat here, tomjohnson. Israel has the right to exist as a Jewish-majority sovereign nation-state, and the Israeli Jews who think that their occupation of West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem threatens a zionism that's important to them and that they hold dear are absolutely correct. The vast majority of Israelis want a Jewish-majority sovereign nation-state, with an equally independent, sovereign Palestinian nation-state alongside them, in West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem, and not in place of Israel, the way many people, including you, want, and would prefer to see happen.

So much for this, then?:
"THE STATE OF ISRAEL will be open for Jewish immigration and for the Ingathering of the Exiles; it will foster the development of the country for the benefit of all its inhabitants; it will be based on freedom, justice and peace as envisaged by the prophets of Israel; it will ensure complete equality of social and political rights to all its inhabitants irrespective of religion, race or sex; it will guarantee freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture; it will safeguard the Holy Places of all religions; and it will be faithful to the principles of the Charter of the United Nations."
---from Declaration of Israel's Independence 1948

The above quote is exactly what I've been advocating all along, Jazzho! Don't try to twist and distort what I've been saying just so you can launch a nasty attack on me. Thanks!

Oh, and let's knock off the "So much for this:, then" Thanks again.

I agree that the Israeli Government has been perpetrating rather horrific treatment on the Palestinians, but I disagree with the analogy above.

Again, tomjohnson, I don't agree with you here. Israel and the United States are two totally different countries.

First of all, the United States is a Christian-majority country, with various religious/ethnic minorities in it.

Secondly, there are countries that have a Catholic majority, countries with Muslim majorities, (which Israel is surrounded by, there are countries with Latin population majorities, and there are countries that have black population majorities. That being said, Israel is the only country that has a Jewish-majority population. What's wrong with having at least one Jewish-majority population country? Nothing, as far as I'm concerned.

Also, unlike the Irish, Italians, Greeks, and many other groups here in the United States, all of who were a majority population in each of the countries that they came from, the Jews were a tiny minority in every country from where they came, and were often unwelcome and not wanted. Having a country where they're a majority has a purpose--to normalize the Jews so they'll be more like everybody else and not be martyred, as you and so many others would prefer. All of the above having been said, it's necessary for an independent, sovereign Palestinian-majority nation-state to exist alongside Israel, so that the Palestinians, too, can be normalized, and be able to control their own destiny, and have self-determination.

I'll also add this, tomjohnson: One does not have to approve of Israel's occupation of West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem, with their settlement policy, and their nasty treatment of innocent Palestinian civilians to realize all that I've pointed out to you. Thanks for letting me vent.

Hey, listen, Jazzbo! If you read my posts more carefully than you've been reading them, you'll realize that I agree that Israel has no business in Gaza Strip, West Bank or East Jerusalem, and that they've got no business building settlements in those territories, because they don't belong to Israel. What is there about what I'm saying that you don't understand? What's there not to get? Hmmmmm?

You're wrong here, Jazzbo: The declaration does call for the partition of the land in question, into two separate, independent, sovereign nation-states; The Jewish-majority nation-state of Israel, and the Palestinian-majority sovereign nation-state of Palestine, with Jerusalem as a shared Capitol of both Israel and Palestine: Jewish West Jerusalem as the Capitol of Israel, and Arab East Jerusalem as the Capitol of Palestine.

Nobody disputes the fact that israel came into existence by force. But then, again, so did the United States and many other countries in this world.

Despite our differences, I stand by everything I've said.

Awesome read, thanks for the link!

So, drones are the equivalent of what? Indiscriminate bombs, missiles, snipers, cluster bombs and indiscriminate shooting of innocent Palestinians (men, women and children) bear no equivalence to anything because...?