Home | About | Donate

A Long War of Attrition With China

A Long War of Attrition With China

Michael Klare

In his highly acclaimed 2017 book, Destined for War, Harvard professor Graham Allison assessed the likelihood that the United States and China would one day find themselves at war. Comparing the U.S.-Chinese relationship to great-power rivalries all the way back to the Peloponnesian War of the fifth century BC, he concluded that the future risk of a conflagration was substantial.

This just in from the Department of Despair:

Humans are now wondering which will come first, nuclear confrontation (anyone paying attention to Pakistan and India these days?) or complete climate chaos.

Looks like the time to party like it’s 2099 is right about now, yo.

3 Likes

“Perhaps the greatest victim of this ongoing conflict will be planet Earth itself and all the creatures, humans included, who inhabit it.”

Some life will persist for a long time, even if nuclear conflagration comes. Life that produces and watches TV, maybe not, but life nevertheless. The planet will be fine.

Thanks George, for the perspective.

Well said.

“Mike” Bolton sez:
“China uses bribes, opaque agreements, and the strategic use of debt to hold states in Africa captive to Beijing’s wishes and demands.”

I understand Bolton got his start as a projectionist in the local neighbourhood theatre as a teen.

This was an eye opening essay for me in many ways. The trade wars are actually a lot more than just a little cyber theft and the silly trade deficit BS. Personally, I’m glad I’m coming up on my last year farming, because China now, most certainly, views the US as an unreliable trade partner. Soybean farmers will need to get used to the idea that China will do everything they can to help farmers elsewhere and buy from other nations.
The article about drones was a kick in the rear also. The world moves faster and faster.

Have you seen the world rankings in education for science and math? Abysmal. Though US universities still retain some quality, it is because the tech department graduate schools and faculty are largely foreign, for the last several decades. These folks are no longer all staying in the US. Some go back to their countries.

Yes, move forward for peace. But the US just might need to heel first.

1 Like

I am quite serious when I say that I hope China rules the planet in short order.
Not because I particularly want to be ‘ruled’ by China but because anything that brings down the pernicious arrogance of the US is a good thing.
Maybe if we are not top dog or have any hope to be, people will start to focus on what is truly valuable - family, friends, community, cultivating their piece of the earth in a healthy way, not being able to afford cheap materialism any longer, re-learning how to work together and so on…
Of course if the US is going down we will probably initiate a nuclear holocaust and kill us all anyway… good times…

1 Like

The nations that call themselves communist have an awful lot of capitalist activity.

1 Like

Less IS more in lots of ways. Our dedication to “growth” is an addiction, and the impacts of the quest for growth and profit are huge–and deeply unsatisfying.

2 Likes