Home | About | Donate

A Low-Cost Ventilator Could Be Available Next Year. But Will It?

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/03/25/low-cost-ventilator-could-be-available-next-year-will-it

1 Like

I have always liked the lore of Lincoln’s remarks concerning Grant’s drinking and his battlefield successes. Lamenting the lack of the latter in his other generals, Lincoln asked what Grant drank and suggested that such be shipped without delay to said generals. Bernie demonstrates this commonsense wisdom–looking forward through the force of will rather than a forensic analysis of “would of, should of, it’s too late now”.
BERNIE 2020!

2 Likes

I know a manufacturing company in Washington State right now, that could easily convert to making ventilators but NO, it’s more important to have military jets instead.
This company is definitely not willing to step up and do the right thing, but absolutely will stand there with their handout for a bailout. Pathetic!
If Trump enacted the Defense Production Act it could potentially force them to convert to making ventilators. He needs to do it now!

I just heard on Thom Hartmann radio show a medical equipment engineer state that ventilators were much easier to produce than they are produced and only costs like $200 dollars of parts to produce.

2 Likes

I just heard on Thom Hartmann radio show a medical equipment engineer state that ventilators were much easier to produce than they are produced and only costs like $200 dollars of parts to produce.

How many of these low cost ventilators could Jeff Bezos pay for with what he “earns” in one day?

That’s not a ventilator, that is an anesthesia machine. It has a ventilator, but that is not its only purpose.

1 Like

I just shopped on line in Chicago for a ventilator.
Using the pictures only and not reading the specifications.
$20,000 to $50,000 each.
Trump was upset about spending one billion dollars for 80,000 ventilators.
one billion divided by 80,000 = $12,500 each budget.

Found oxygen concentrator for $886.83 MSRP
This is Invacare Perfecto2 and requires a prescription for an individual to purchase one for in home use.
I do not yet know if this meets hospital requirements.

However, if it does, this is an affordable product to ramp up productions for.
Tooling, machining, cleanliness, etc. requires vast co-ordinations and money spent.
Requires superior American manufacturing peoples, engineers, designers, overtime hours.