Home | About | Donate

'A Major Step Forward': Multi-State Probe Targets Facebook's Possible Antitrust Violations

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/06/major-step-forward-multi-state-probe-targets-facebooks-possible-antitrust-violations

From the article:

“‘Today’s big tech companies have too much power — too much power over our economy, our society, and our democracy,’ the Massachusetts senator wrote. ‘They’ve bulldozed competition, used our private information for profit, and tilted the playing field against everyone else.’”

Worse than that, they’ve declared themselves “people,” and hijacked the Constitution and the Bill of Rights to further entrench themselves in the body politic. Overturning Citizens United, Buckley v. Valeo and Southern Pacific Railroad v. Santa Clara County must be priorities if we’re to retake our country from the predatory rich.

Corporations are NOT people.
Money is NOT speech.
Capitalism is NOT democracy.

5 Likes

This is a start but,
The only candidate likely to even try to do anything about it is Bernie. And until we get more Progressives in the Senate and House I’m not sure how much he can do

2 Likes

Warren has a plan for breaking up the tech companies. I think she would do something. Although I support Bernie I sometimes get tired of any body who isn’t Bernie getting constantly trashed. I realize the establishment doesn’t want Bernie so there is a lot of paranoia. But paranoia can lead to incorrect decisions and assumptions. I hope Warren is sincere and will do something if she is elected.

Yes, break them up now!

2 Likes

Between elections we can change the conversation, as Joe Hill suggested, by “educating, agitating and organizing,” so that candidates, progressive or otherwise, become used to hearing us express our highest principles and aspirations.

I wonder if she’d go through with it. Hopefully.

oh yeah, they will fine him a billion dollars which is chump change to him and a line item on his budgets.

I suppose I fall into the group you’re speaking about. I have nothing personally against Warren or the others in the dem race, but as you know and reference, the establishment wants Sanders out of the way for their neo-liberal candidate. As I’ve talked about in other posts, Sanders needs an overwhelming victory in the primary, making it much harder for the party to steal the win from him as in 2016. The others in the race, especially Warren will reduce the effectiveness of Sanders’ win and make it much more likely we will see a repeat of the last presidential dem primary. IMO none of us benefits if this happens. Warren would make a very effective cabinet member to keep Wall Street and other corporations running between the legal lines so to speak.

I actually think Warren would be more effective staying in the Senate. Maybe the leader of the Senate. Bernie will need progressive allied in the congress.

2 Likes

Let’s not forget Candidate Obama’s programs vs President Obama’s reality

3 Likes

There’s a yuuuge part of our problem—campagn promises are NOT enfroceable contracts (see also Candidate Twump’s promises v. Pwesident Twump’s actions).

1 Like

Yes, but I don’t think Warren is liked by Wall Street as much as Obama was.

not sure it’s about being liked by wall Street as much as how controllable

Senate, cabinet, either way, I just want her out of the primary race for maximum votes for Sanders so it will be harder for the dnc to steal the election.

Sorry. I only smell an election year on the horizon.

I have a plan for breaking up the tech companies and all other monopolies. The only difference between her plan and mine is that hers MIGHT get printed into a Senate Bill. Which would only be a monumental waste of paper. “Plan” is just another political word for doing nothing.