Home | About | Donate

A Message of Indigenous Resistance and Inspiration From the Amazon

A Message of Indigenous Resistance and Inspiration From the Amazon

Nemonte Nenquimo

The following piece is quoted directly from the keynote address of Ceibo Alliance co-founder Nemonte Nenquimo, who traveled from her home in the remote Ecuadorian Amazon to present to a live audience at this year’s Bioneers conference in Marin, California.

3 Likes

Sadly, Nemonte Nenquimo speaks a foreign language to “modern” people when she, like all indigenous peoples, and like the moderns used to do before the common era, places so much emphasis on the history of her people, of their ways, and especially of her debt to her ancestors. This duty is one that modern people have completely lost, as they scurry around in their search for progress. The only reality for them is today, this instant, and tomorrow. The past is gone and is useless. Peter Kingsley’s new book, Catafalque, is a revelation in its focus on this very subject. I wish Nemonte Nenquimo and her people luck against modern man and our cruel and heartless corporate greed.

6 Likes

Nemonte Nenquimo, the indigenous peoples of North America expressed the following sentiment: “When the last tree has been cut down, the last fish caught, the last river poisoned, only then will we realize that one cannot eat money.”

You are very wise to be so vigilant.

Peace, from one lover of the land and water to another.

8 Likes

just this morning i found an article about an indigenous people of viet nam around the world we have hundreds of these communities still living happy and productive lives with the Nature they respect here a bit from that article. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/this-man-lived-in-an-isolated-tribe-until-he-was-14-—-and-heres-what-his-life-is-like/ar-BBQdYMc?ocid=spartandhp

Until he was a teenager, Rich Enuol, 32, lived in an isolated tribe in the rainforests of Vietnam. He lived without electricity, slept under a thatched roof, and had never used a flush toilet.

Today, he’s in Massachusetts with his American wife, living an existence totally alien to the life he once had.

“Life was very different. There was no technology. I didn’t have cell phones. I didn’t have any of the skyscrapers, buildings. None of that,” he told INSIDER of his childhood. “[I was] just basically living in the forest.”

The rainforest was a 'paradise’

what we call civilization is but the result of man’s hubris and fear of Nature civilization attempts to build a wall against Nature and we have lost touch with our better nature.

The great lie is that this is civilization. It is not civilized. It has been literally the most blood thirsty, brutalizing system ever imposed upon this planet. That is not civilization. That’s the great lie, is that it represents civilization."–John Trudell

6 Likes

I get this!! Perhaps I am one of far too few who do, but it brings me hope to hear the young mother Nemonte Nenquimo stating her case [‘our salvation’] so eloquently.

2 Likes

good luck to these brothers and sisters. They’ll need it. Between Moreno and Bolsonaro, the Amazon’s fixing to get torched.

1 Like

Nothing new to see here. Mankind in general, has set out from the beginning to harness the environment, to exploit it, to improve quality of life and find profit from it. All along few have tended to truly appreciate the bounty and beauty for preservation’s sake. We are takers. How could so few people as in our country wipe out the buffalo, cage the Indians, trap out the beaver, lumber out whole state forests, and pollute waterways before we even had a clue. Only a greedy thoughtless population could conceive of such an exorcise.

1 Like

I admire these activists, and fear for them. Hundreds of environmentalists are killed in Latin America and elsewhere every year.
In general, the human species is a war machine bent on destroying and/or exploiting all other organisms and the biosphere itself.
We’re a mass extinction event.
Human population is way too high, a disastrous overshoot.
Consumer capitalism and eating animals are also biosphere killers.
Environmentalists are killed and otherwise attacked in the USA too.
Check out what happened to redwood activist Julia Butterfly Hill.
Unless our species reins in the babymaking machinery and consumerism, we will have committed planet-wide ecocide well before the end of this century.

HI Elin: I love this too. How wonderful it must be to live where people respected Nature and actually had a history that from ancient to modern times—people could still really live. America is only 242 years old and sadly it’s not even hanging onto the best of the founding people. : (

I do not remember when I have seen so poetic and profound a political piece.